Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mint & Strawberries

• 02-06-2013 4:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have a few questions - newbie gardener here and I've set myself a few challenges the first year.

I bought a few pots of strawberries and I've planted them out in a few containers in the garden. Nice spot, good sun and I water them when needed (when top layer is quite dry). My initial problem is I'm not sure about the fruiting. At the moment it seems to be sending out runners. I did what the internet suggested and pruned these off but I'm now worried I'm cutting off the flowering stems - and I'm assuming the flowering stems are a bit important in the fruiting process...

The second one I have is about mint plant. I'm growing mint from seeds. First in a container on the window and then, once there was plenty of little seedlings I transferred to a large container in the shed, then to the garden. Got off to a rocky start as the first container was too water logged so I moved them to little pots. The thing is I would have assumed that they would get bushier. And there's no sign of that. Do I need to pinch off the top leaves to get that effect or will I leave them? It's still year one I know not to harvest leaves yet but I'd like them to look fuller before the year is out.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

nicowa wrote: »
    Mint & Strawberries
    My mouth has just gone "Niiiihihihhhh".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭amandstu

No expert but I will tell you what I know!

Those runners don't bear fruit or flowers.What they do is to form new plants when the make contact with the soil (you can speed up the process by pegging down the tips if you want plants for next year) .

In theory ,if you don't remove the runners it will weaken the plant.I have never noticed it made a difference but I do it anyway as it tidies things up.
    The flowers come from the main part of the plant.
    Don't you have any yet?

As for the mint one thing I have heard is that they don't thrive in pots since they like to spread under the ground .So maybe you would be better off putting some of them in open ground (they will survive quite hard winters) where they may do better.

I have never tried mint in pots.Maybe it will work for you if you don't need enormous quantities but then again maybe it will sulk..

I am not sure if you can make them bushy by pinching them.I think they are more likely to want to grow from the underground roots than turn into a bushy shape (but I have not tried it).

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

I keep my mint in pots. If you plant it into soil, in a couple of years you will be pulling mint from everywhere.
    Tis a weed, I tell you.:D
    And don't mention Rocket!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Just be carefull that the mint doesnt happen to get out into the garden/ground.

It grows and spreads everywhere if it gets out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

Thanks for the replies.

I only have a few strawberry flowers but it's still shooting out runners the whole time. I'll keep trimming them off and hope for a late harvest (I did only get the plants a few weeks ago).

I've read that mint is a weed, but the main point of keeping everything in pots is that we're only renting and planning on moving in a few weeks. Moving the pots will be a job in itself but better than losing plants every year.

I've most of my potted mint outside where it's looking more mint-like (hardier) than the indoor mint, though it is of course slightly slower to grow. I read that cutting the mint back almost completely will make it grow back bushier. I may do that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement