Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much should I be saving

Options
  • 02-06-2013 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

I am earning a decent wage but I'm very bad with money, I'm a single guy with no dependents and I make about 36k a year net. I dont really have much savings which is a disgrace considering my income and outgoings

My current monthly outgoings are

rent-250
    esb-0
    phone-50
    loan-360
    cost of running car/pertrol/tax/insurance-250
    Sky/setanta-56
    internet-20

I havent included entertainment because I dont limit myself , what I want I just go get.

Theres really no excuse for not being able to save 1000 a month, any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Open two savings accounts... One you don't touch, maybe a fixed term deposit account and another as a squirrel account that you can dip into for emergencies, or short term goals like holidays.
    How much you put away only you could decide, it may take a few months for you to figure out how much you can put away on a regular basis.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

So you have no excuse but you want an excuse :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

you don't spend any money on food/drink ?

Realistically you could save 1K a month - but in reality you are probably wasting your money somewhere (maybe sky/internet could be combined, clear off the loan with any excess money, hard to believe you dont have ESB/GAS expenses ?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,463 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

800 should be handy enough.

Anything between that and 1k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Are you renting for 250 pm with bills included? That's not bad at all.

Are you sure you don't have these bills?

Overpay that loan and clear it off and also 50 pm on the phone seems a good bit. Shop around for a good deal, possibly bill pay

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Save 1000 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Living at home? If so save as much as possible, its a chance in a lifetime to get some savings behind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

If you're pulling in €36k net that's €3k a month into your hand. You should easily be saving a €1k a month assuming you didn't mean gross income. Get a spending diary and see where your money is disappearing to. Then set up a regular savings account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Sarn wrote: »
    If you're pulling in €36k net that's €3k a month into your hand. You should easily be saving a €1k a month assuming you didn't mean gross income. Get a spending diary and see where your money is disappearing to. Then set up a regular savings account.

No I didn't mean gross , I get 3k a month after tax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Clear off the loan. After that we'd need more info - what do you want to save for? retirement, house or sports car...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I get about €400 a month less than you and between Aug 2012 and May 2013 i saved €17000. I pay rent of €270, full ebs/gas myself etc. it is possible if you put your mind to it. I used to be like you and just buy myself what i wanted when i wanted and had lots of expensive holidays (in 2011 for example i went to Madrid, germany/france/venice/florence/switzerland and Kenya& Tanzania for Xmas). It's about learning about wants & needs and starting to have some discipline and a goal to work towards. I really wanted to buy a house so that was my goal to work towards. For example, i dropped my samsung galaxy down the toilet. Instead of going out and signing up to an expensive plan or buying a new phone outright i made do with a plastic piece of crap for about 4-5mths. I felt like dying inside everytime i had to use the stupid thing, but in the end my mum upgraded her phone and i got her old iphone. So i saved money and got a decent phone and it didn't cost me anything - i wanted a new phone but didn't need it.

So saving €1000 per month is very realistic and acheivable for you, but maybe start at €400-€500 a month so it won't be such a shock to the system and so you are not dipping into it and then gradually increase it each month until you are saving your target. Set up a seperate account (kbc is good as you have to write to them to withdraw your money so it helps stop you from dipping into it) and have a standing order set for the day you get paid so you never even see the money in your account.

It's kinda bad when you think if I saved 1000 a month , I'd still have 500 a week to live on

I don't get the advice of paying off the loan early , what advantage does that serve as oposed to saving it instead ?

It's kinda bad when you think if I saved 1000 a month , I'd still have 500 a week to live on

Thats great..but considering the financial problems most people have these days, maybe lay off the bragging! !
    Open savings accounts and get all that spare cash saved.

And if you are living at home that's plenty.

I don't get the advice of paying off the loan early , what advantage does that serve as oposed to saving it instead ?

You pay less interest on the loan if you pay it off early, you wouldn't earn an equivalent amount on the interest earned on a savings account

You pay less interest on the loan if you pay it off early, you wouldn't earn an equivalent amount on the interest earned on a savings account

It's a fixed rate loan

It's a fixed rate loan

Your car I presume. You can still pay it off, you'd pay something like 6 months of interest as a penalty. Might still be worth your while.

It's a fixed rate loan

Ring your bank and ask them if you can reduce the term and increase the payment. It's fixed rate over the term of the loan, if you reduce the term you tend to pay less.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Simple. If the loan costs you 12% and you earn 3% on your savings you'll be better off paying off the loan quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭Red About Town

It's far from 'bad'.

The situation you are in now won't last forever so make the most of it in terms of savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Mort5000

Max out the pension contributions, then spread the rest around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I'm only after properly saving since Xmas and manage 800 a month. What I've been doing with that money before i have no idea.
    Good luck!

Advertisement