Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hurling Championship 2013

• 02-06-2013 4:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

The football has one, I think it's good to have a general Championship thread, if there aren't going to be match topics. U-21 thread seems to be drawing some interest too.

Munster hurling started today, Waterford leading Clare 1-9 to 0-8 at half-time, after Clare started really well and went 4 points up.

Jake Dillon looks lively on his debut, his goal got Waterford going. Shanahan is winning an awful lot of ball, and is drawing fouls from the Clare defence. Impressed with Nagle, Moran and O'Sullivan too...starting to dominate.

Conor McGrath, Shane O'Donnell and Colm Galvin have all been anonymous. Kelly and Conlon have been lively when they've actually got the ball but they need to start winning more, they're getting cleaned out.

Who Will Win the All Ireland? 98 votes

Clare
    0% 0 votes
    Cork
    35% 35 votes
    Dublin
    19% 19 votes
    Limerick
    44% 44 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Clare butchered that chance....either take a score, or give a proper handpass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Clare butchered that chance....either take a score, or give a proper handpass.

It's like a bloody junior b match so far!!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

So far its one of the worst Munster Championship games i've seen in a long time.

Still I'd take a first Munster win since 2008 anyway we can get it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

OP, you forgot to call for the obligatory minutes silence at the start of the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Game over. Another year of rot for Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

That was big for Clare to win means nothing to Waterford back door suits them better this year.

Game never really got going, not much intensity, but Clare will be delighted with their win. I mean O'Donnell and McGrath never really got into the game but both got a goal. Kevin Moran will be disappointed he didn't get the ball clear for O'Donnell's goal......they never looked like coming back after that.

Clare half-back line really stepped up in the 2nd half- Bugler/Donnellan/O'Connor as well as O'Donovan were all excellent. Kelly swept up between midfield and the half-forward line and Waterford had no answer. Shanahan stopped winning ball, and some of the distribution was poor. No depth on the bench either really, Clare just looked fitter and more mobile, took a bit of luck but won handily in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Poor game... If Clare can mix more direct hurling with their game, they'll be a handful for anyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

How do the Qualifiers work now lads?

How do the Qualifiers work now lads?

As far as I know, every team knocked out before the provincial semi-finals (5 from Leinster & Waterford) go into a draw.

4 of them play in a preliminary round, then the 2 winners play the remaining 2....and the winners get into round 3.

The semi-final losers also play against each other, and the winners of that round also get into round 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 DeiseJon

Whens the draw then?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

On the basis of yesterday, Waterford will need to seriously up their game and fitness if they want to be involved come quarter-final stage. I can't see an all ireland semi from that team. I think Clare are good for the Munster final as based on teh relegation play-off and yesterday I think they will have too much in the locker for Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Clare came down to Semple in the league and they put in one of the worst, negative performances I've ever seen in Semple against Tipp.

Cork didnt look to impressive either in the league but I would have to say that I think they have the beatings of Clare.

Isn'TE=Fireball07;84892592]As far as I know, every team knocked out before the provincial semi-finals (5 from Leinster & Waterford) go into a draw.

4 of them play in a preliminary round, then the 2 winners play the remaining 2....and the winners get into round 3.

The semi-final losers also play against each other, and the winners of that round also get into round 3.[/QUOTE]

Isn't there gonna be seven teams from leinster tho Antrim, Carlow, Laois, Westmeath London and the quarter final losers next weekend, Kilkenny v Offaly and Dublin V Wexford? So 8 teams in the qualifiers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

DeiseJon wrote: »
    Isn'TE=Fireball07;84892592]As far as I know, every team knocked out before the provincial semi-finals (5 from Leinster & Waterford) go into a draw.

The semi-final losers also play against each other, and the winners of that round also get into round 3.
    Isn't there gonna be seven teams from leinster tho Antrim, Carlow, Laois, Westmeath London and the quarter final losers next weekend, Kilkenny v Offaly and Dublin V Wexford? So 8 teams in the qualifiers?

7 teams total. Laois are through to the Leinster semi final so wont be in the early qualifier rounds

Westmeath
    London
    Carlow
    Antrim
    Waterford
    Dublin/Wexford
    Offaly/Kilkenny

prelim phase will have 3 games from the above teams, with 1 team getting a bye to phase 1

phase 1 will have the 3 winners from the prelim phase plus the team who got the bye drawn to have 2 games. The 2 winners of these will advance to phase 3.

phase 2 will be the beaten Leinster and Munster semi finalists drawn to play each other in 2 games.

phase 3 will then have the 2 winners from phase 1 and the two winners from phase 2 drawn against each other in 2 games to generate 2 quarter finalists and they will play provincial runners up in those Quarter finals

The winner of the quarter final game involving the losing Munster finalists will play the Leinster champions in the AI semi final and opposite for the other game.

QED.

I believe the draw for the preliminary phase will either take place next Sunday after the KK/Offaly game or later that evening on the Sunday game

Thanks for clearing that up. London and carlow in the qualifiers. .. make for some unique fixtures.

DeiseJon wrote: »

Isn't there gonna be seven teams from leinster tho Antrim, Carlow, Laois, Westmeath London and the quarter final losers next weekend, Kilkenny v Offaly and Dublin V Wexford? So 8 teams in the qualifiers?[/QUOTE]

Maybe I counted wrong...Laois won't be there anyway, because they're in the semi-finals. But the other 6 will be....unless one of them doesn't get to play in the qualifiers...

If they do, I'd guess 6 of them play in the preliminary round.... the 3 winners + the other team play in round one, with 2 progressing to round 3.

That would seem logical, however it is only a guess, I don't know for certain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Ger Loughnane describing Dublin playing 'constipated hurling' tonight! :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Ger Loughnane describing Dublin playing 'constipated hurling' tonight! :D:D

He wasn't wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

He wasn't wrong.

Thought it was the opposite myself. Pile of ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Good game on atm between Offaly and Kk, Kk in a bit of bother for now anyway, down 2-02 to 0-05. Jackie Tyrell was subbed off after less than 10 minutes. 2-03 to 0-05 now.

I'd day Kilkenny will win it in the end though. Only a couple of scores in it and this is hurling against Kilkenny. Not football against Donegal!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Those offally hurls must be awful slippery, keep flying out of peoples hands.
    Lucky theyre not using those dangerous hurls Tommy Walsh uses or we'd have people on here giving out about dangerous play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

Offaly's tactics is clear, go for goals at every opportunity and it's working so far. What price were they before this game?

A shock could well be on the cards here, KK looked shell shocked. I'd love to see Offaly beat them.

Joe Bergin's goal was pure class, absolutely brilliant finish.

Offaly are well up for it, bringing lots of intensity...half-back line well on top. Still expect Kilkenny to win in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

David Kenny is having a stormer.

Ref gave a few soft frees to Kilkenny there.

Good intensity.

Referee being very kind to KK here.

Handy frees.

I'd says its inbuilt in the referees head that Kilkenny just have to win this game. There's be no other outcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

KK being very clever playing the ref, going to ground easily. Offaly being punished for their naivety

• Advertisement

Not so lucky number slevin..

Ah here, KK deserved every free they got... Name one which wasn't ?

There was one where Richie Power won the ball around the middle, ran towards the Offaly player and then hit the deck.

Then very soon after Kilkenny were working out of defence, not sure who it was but he was in trouble and just hit the deck wnning a free.

Having said that, Parlon should not be on the field. Very lucky. Offaly need to stop throwing hurleys as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Annuv

Fair play to Loghnane there, a bit of objectivity when it comes to fouls against Kilkenny unlike O'Grady

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

If Offaly won this it would be the greatest sporting feat in the history of Earth. Stick a few high balls into Bergin that he can catch rather than **** them wide.

Stupid competition is more important than showing the game. That's rte for ya.

• Advertisement

Parlon should be off, didn't really take much notice of it until Loughnanne pointed it out. Ref was being a bit soft in favour of Kk towards the end of the half though, there was a few soft frees given and there was one point there when an Offaly player was running through and his legs were clearly clipped.

Here we go now. Switch the telly off, we know the result.

It was inevitable, but still disappointing.

Only 4 in it now. C'mon the BIFFOS!

Wow got lucky there.

had Offaly +6 :P Good man Bergin

• Advertisement

Only 5 in it in the end. Decent display from Offaly. The KK keeper was very poor, very hesitant under the high ball.

King Henry badly missed.

Just switched over to tv3. It's like watching a sh1tty Internet stream.

Jaysus Christ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

C'mon limerick!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Wow got lucky there.

had Offaly +6 :P Good man Bergin

Join the club - blessed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Annuv

Only 5 minutes until Shane McGrath punches the air over something or other :p

Seriously TV3, seriously?

Matt -and I'll cut you off when the anthems are about to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Jesus ****ing Christ ......TV3 take ANOTHER ad break 2 minutes after the last one.

Anyway, cmon the boys in green!

Jaysus what in christs name is that!?!?

Talk about murdering national anthem!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement