Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hurling Championship 2013

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

But they have a very good chance against Waterford.
    You could also apply the same argument to Waterford.

I do not see the logic in wanting your team to play against "easy teams" or looking for a handy draw. Where is the accomplishment in beating those teams?

I dont think many teams get a particularly 'easy ride' to an AI quarter final to be honest. Limerick have had to beat Tipp to get there, Cork will have to beat Clare to get there, Clare will have to beat Waterford & Cork to get there. Kilkenny will have to beat Offaly and Dublin / Wexford. Only Galway have a relatively easy route to it. But even then, the qualifiers are structured in such a way to ensure Laois are as well prepared for Galway as possible..... But I would much prefer see Galway take on a side on the same level as one of the Munster teams than seeing them play Laois.

Handy games do not improve a team.

First of all they are not my team".

It always seems to happen with Offaly that the end up with the toughest draw, not just this year but for the last 2 or 3 years.

If they drew someone like Wexford/Dublin, that would be a good competitive game which they would be well capable of winning and then they would be in better shape to take on one of the more established teams in phase 3.

As it stands they are going in against Waterford and they will struggle to get over them. They will then break up for the summer and come back for more division 1B hurling next year.

Then you have Galway who will waltz straight into the quarter final without having to beat anyone better than Laois. Not that that does Galway any good but it doesn't seem like a great system to promote hurling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

adrian522 wrote: »
    First of all they are not my team".

It always seems to happen with Offaly that the end up with the toughest draw, not just this year but for the last 2 or 3 years.

If they drew someone like Wexford/Dublin, that would be a good competitive game which they would be well capable of winning and then they would be in better shape to take on one of the more established teams in phase 3.

As it stands they are going in against Waterford and they will struggle to get over them. They will then break up for the summer and come back for more division 1B hurling next year.

Then you have Galway who will waltz straight into the quarter final without having to beat anyone better than Laois. Not that that does Galway any good but it doesn't seem like a great system to promote hurling.

ok lets have a draw where Offaly are not allowed to be drawn against Waterford because Waterford are too good. Also, the draw cannot allow them be drawn against Westmeath because Westmeath are not good enough. They can only be drawn against the losers of Dublin/Wexford as they are roughly the same level! :rolleyes:

I actually reckon Offaly have a terrific chance of beating Waterford. A victory against them will have Offaly in much better shape for the established teams than 1000 victories over the teams that they are suporior to (like Westmeath).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I just said they seem to be unlucky in getting drawn against the best team every year nothing about introducing rules to prevent this :rolleyes:

I think Waterford will have to much for Offaly and will win by 7 or 8 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

grenache wrote: »
    I remember the Shanahan goal well, a long free by John Gardiner. Albert watched it all the way to the net! It was a scorching hot day though so he probably did lose it in the sun. GG's first championship match after redevelopment.

The Waterford game in '01 was in Cork, all three of our Munster games that year were in PUC. Clem Smith did "a job" on a youthful John Mullane that day ;)

Was so annoyed by that though, I was behind the goal and couldn't believe what just happened.

Couldn't remember it was in Cork but I remember the match well enough, pretty hard to forget..... it was a pretty amazing comeback. Clem took out Mullane, who had been on fire, but in the long run, I think that game was one that "made" Waterford. A lot of the team were young, they threw away a huge lead.....but they went on to win a load of Munsters, and Mullane became arguably the most dangerous forward in the country. Still, a great day for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Was so annoyed by that though, I was behind the goal and couldn't believe what just happened.

Couldn't remember it was in Cork but I remember the match well enough, pretty hard to forget..... it was a pretty amazing comeback. Clem took out Mullane, who had been on fire, but in the long run, I think that game was one that "made" Waterford. A lot of the team were young, they threw away a huge lead.....but they went on to win a load of Munsters, and Mullane became arguably the most dangerous forward in the country. Still, a great day for us.

I don't think that game made Waterford at all, aside from it meaning Gerald left and Justin came in.

That was my first championship game. Photo of me crying in the Munster Express after it :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Terrace was only about 1/2 full yesterday, plenty of gaps in both stands as well. There was some magic play and some awful play from both sides. Limerick should have more variety on the puck-outs, the Tipp half back line must have caught about 75% of them.
    But it was a great feeling running onto the hallowed turf in the sunshine with a smile on the face!!! Even bumped into this legend....

In fairness it is a massive stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

Terrace was only about 1/2 full yesterday, plenty of gaps in both stands as well. There was some magic play and some awful play from both sides. Limerick should have more variety on the puck-outs, the Tipp half back line must have caught about 75% of them.
    But it was a great feeling running onto the hallowed turf in the sunshine with a smile on the face!!! Even bumped into this legend....

Some legend. Was a great hurler in his day.One of the best. Should have won an All Ireland!

I don't think that game made Waterford at all, aside from it meaning Gerald left and Justin came in.

That was my first championship game. Photo of me crying in the Munster Express after it :(

Maybe not on its own, but those kind of things do a good job with hardening teams. I mean, I don't think we'd have beaten Tipp this year if we hadn't thrown it away last year in the last few minutes.

The last 15-20 minutes from us was pretty spectacular, complete opposite of last year.

Maybe not on its own, but those kind of things do a good job with hardening teams. I mean, I don't think we'd have beaten Tipp this year if we hadn't thrown it away last year in the last few minutes.

The last 15-20 minutes from us was pretty spectacular, complete opposite of last year.

You could well be right, often more learned in defeat than in victory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

seeded draw is the only way to go (aka baseball, american football etc)

link championship draw for qualifiers to win/loss ratio in the leagues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Anyone know what time the Offaly v Waterford match is on Sat week? Doubt I'll get off work that day but if it's late could try for half day! (Hope this is best place to ask) Thanks

I just said they seem to be unlucky in getting drawn against the best team every year nothing about introducing rules to prevent this :rolleyes:

And I was just saying that it is never unlucky to be drawn against the best team! :)

magentas wrote: »
    Anyone know what time the Offaly v Waterford match is on Sat week? Doubt I'll get off work that day but if it's late could try for half day! (Hope this is best place to ask) Thanks

Its still to be confirmed according to gaa.ie. I would think it would be a Saturday evening throw-in for this game though. This has the potential to bring in a fairly decent crowd in Tullamore so I'd imagine an evening throw in would capitalise on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Tickets for Dublin vs Wexford are up on Tickets.ie, thought I'd get rode on price but they're €10 for adults, €3 for kids :)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Shalamov

Tickets for Dublin vs Wexford are up on Tickets.ie, thought I'd get rode on price but they're €10 for adults, €3 for kids :)

Great price alright. €20 for the stand is a bit pricey mind; think they could have gone €15 to get more people in

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cleaboy boy

Offaly V Waterford confirmed for 7.00 p.m. on Sat 22nd June in Tullamore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

Offaly V Waterford confirmed for 7.00 p.m. on Sat 22nd June in Tullamore.

€10 for Terrace, €15 for stand. That's great value - although some people will be annoyed that they won't be able to give out about it.

It's unreserved seating. I wonder what sort of crowd they'll get at it. There was a decent crowd for the Kilkenny game, so hopefully we'll get at least the same.

I reckon we should have enough for Offaly, but I'd expect a close enough encounter.

blue note wrote: »
    €15 for Terrace, €10 for stand. That's great value - although some people will be annoyed that they won't be able to give out about it.

It's unreserved seating. I wonder what sort of crowd they'll get at it. There was a decent crowd for the Kilkenny game, so hopefully we'll get at least the same.

I reckon we should have enough for Offaly, but I'd expect a close enough encounter.

Really the stand is cheaper than the terrace?

Anyway, get there early as there is only a stand on one side of the ground. Nice venue though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

Really the stand is cheaper than the terrace?

Anyway, get there early as there is only a stand on one side of the ground. Nice venue though.

My apologies, vice versa. I'll edit the message now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

blue note wrote: »
    €10 for Terrace, €15 for stand. That's great value - although some people will be annoyed that they won't be able to give out about it.

Great value altogether, and a fiver less for stand tickets for season ticket holders. Really cannot argue with the prices there at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

And it's €5 off for students and OAPs as well.

It only cost me €5 for the KK vs Offaly game on Sunday, cheapest championship game ever for me!! :)

KevIRL wrote: »
    Great value altogether, and a fiver less for stand tickets for season ticket holders. Really cannot argue with the prices there at all

I wouldnt say "Great Value" but I would say very reasonable.

I wouldnt expect the price to be higher for a 1st round qualifier game. It is an attractive match though. Unfortunately, I cant make it as wont be in Ireland on that weekend..... I'll have to make up for it by attending the munster final this year :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

I wouldnt say "Great Value" but I would say very reasonable.

I wouldnt expect the price to be higher for a 1st round qualifier game. It is an attractive match though. Unfortunately, I cant make it as wont be in Ireland on that weekend..... I'll have to make up for it by attending the munster final this year :-)
    with a big green flag I hope!!
    And a big smile on the way home!!!!!!

Can't wait...

So, Dublin through...fairly handily in the end. Guess Wexford lost their chance last week, apparently Andrew Shore was sent off early on...that can't have helped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

So, Dublin through...fairly handily in the end. Guess Wexford lost their chance last week, apparently Andrew Shore was sent off early on...that can't have helped.

It was scandalous behaviour from the Wexford players. Some of the pulling could of cause some serious injury.
    Be worried still about Dublin scoring ability especially getting goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DD Mikasa

Some wild pulls alright, but surely it's up to lads to protect their hand when they go up to catch the ball. Many would argue that if the ball is in the air then everyone is quite entitled to pull on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

DD Mikasa wrote: »
    Some wild pulls alright, but surely it's up to lads to protect their hand when they go up to catch the ball. Many would argue that if the ball is in the air then everyone is quite entitled to pull on it

as long as the pull is on the ball, and not late or early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Laois leading Galway 8-6 as it nears half time, could we have the biggest upset of the century on our hands.

Rightwing wrote: »
    Laois leading Galway 8-6 as it nears half time, could we have the biggest upset of the century on our hands.

Hope so, would be great for the game in Laois, they've had some dark times in recent years.

However, you'd expect Galway to pull it out in the 2nd half...still good that Laois are ahead at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Galway were 1/66 with the bookies. You'd have to think Galway will come back into in the 2nd half.

Hope so, would be great for the game in Laois, they've had some dark times in recent years.

However, you'd expect Galway to pull it out in the 2nd half...still good that Laois are ahead at this stage.

Absolutely, who'd have thought Laois would be ahead at half time? Galway to win by prob 5 or 6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Rightwing wrote: »
    Absolutely, who'd have thought Laois would be ahead at half time? Galway to win by prob 5 or 6

Anywhere you can get reliable latest score updates for this? Sunday Game is a bit lax, and so is everywhere else from what I can see.

This is a very different Laois team to what we're used to. They've a lot of work done and after winning their previous two games they were probably fired up big time to have a home semi final and have a real cut at it.

They've been winning all year and that makes them a slightly different proposition to Offaly and Kilkenny from last weekend. Also, Galway are not Kilkenny.

With the weather the way it is this is probably the last place Galway want to be. Serious test of their character now, though they do have the class to still come back strong and win this game with a bit to spare. They'll need to show a resilience that is certainly not synonymous with them.

Real shame it's not on tv, I'd love to be watching it right now. I guess most people just weren't expecting any sort of contest.

Anywhere you can get reliable latest score updates for this? Sunday Game is a bit lax, and so is everywhere else from what I can see.

http://livescores.sportsnewsireland.com/

Galway just levelled things

Real shame it's not on tv, I'd love to be watching it right now. I guess most people just weren't expecting any sort of contest.

Very much agreed, but nobody (outside the Laois lads themselves I presume) was expecting it, I certainly wasn't. Hard to argue with the deciion not to cover it, but with hindsight it would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭cat in the sack

Galway good one year brutal the next same old same old.

Very much agreed, but nobody (outside the Laois lads themselves I presume) was expecting it, I certainly wasn't. Hard to argue with the deciion not to cover it, but with hindsight it would be great.

Bookies had it at -13, I'd have backed Galway at that but for the wet day and hassle of going to the bookies.

Live radio commentary on Midlands 103 FM
    http://www.midlandsradio.fm/custom/api/radio.player.php

Thanks for that. Galway just gone ahead there.

Commentator is brilliant

• Advertisement

The hurling championship has been so much more competitive than the football one this year.

KevIRL wrote: »
    Commentator is brilliant
    Yeah was just thinking the same thing, he's showing a real passion for it, serious pride in his team. Co-commentator too. It's a million miles away from listening to Ger "looking for latitude" Canning.

Commentator is really great...two goals in a a minute. Still Galway up by 2.

Galway goal :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Galway 4 points up with about 6 mins left, that'll probably be it now.

Galway goal :(

2 rebounds, the hardest of luck to have that happen to ya!

17 wides so far Laois... jaysus! :eek:

Big credit there to Laois, almost pulled off the shock of the century.

17 wides so far Laois... jaysus! :eek:

Yeah they will have huge regrets if they don't pull it back now.

Key moment was Laois conceeding a goal just after they scored one themselves. If they could have avoided that they just might have been able to cause an upset.

• Advertisement
Advertisement