Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If you could only own one saw?

• 02-06-2013 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

What would it be and why? I'm only a casual user of a chainsaw(not too casual, careful now!) and I've not tried many different saws, so I can't really contribute to the debate but I would be very interested to find out your opinions on a good all round work horse, (money no object) and it would not necessarily need to be a modern new saw.

Obviously professional users would usually have a few different saws for tackling different jobs/tasks so just to put some parameters on it lets just say that new legislation is brought in making it illegal to cut down any tree over 50 years old. So the saw would be dealing with softwood and hardwood trees up to 50 years old in all different shapes and sizes.

Feel free to enter a few different saws into your replies and the pros and cons of them but ultimately you have to pick one.:)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭$kilkenny

Husqvarna 365, very popular so parts are piss easy to get, have seen them run for years in the industry no bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I'd go with something along those lines too: a 60cc pro-grade modern saw.
    Light enough that it would be fine for the smaller stuff with using a 15" bar or so, but powerful enough to run a 20-24" bar for the big stuff.
    There's generally an awful lot more small material to be dealt with, so I'd bias the saw towards that, and suffer the slower performance with the big bar in the big stuff.

Take your pick:
    256579.jpg

256582.jpg

A 70cc saw would handle a bigger bar better, but would be heavier and less handy for the small/medium stuff. I think I'd stick with a 60cc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

My choice would have to be the Stihl 026 (48.7cc). I find the stihl's in general very easy to maintain and get parts for, as well as very reliable, but the 026 is a great all rounder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I always have 2 saws when cutting,very easy to get the bar stuck when cutting multiple windblown trees.
    I couldn't have just one.
    My Old Husky 262xpg is great, big power for a 60cc 4.9hp and light enough for all day cutting, Only drawback is the small mount bar which limits choice a bit.
    My secondary saw is an Oleomac 952 which is a lot slower and a bit lighter.
    I'd go with a new 560xp they are supposed to be a fantastic saw, and economical as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Pat McArdle

I love my Stihl MS 390. Great saw. Suits me down to the ground. Power to weight ratio is great and it's comfortable to use for a full day's cutting. Price was right too from Denis Smyth in Tallanstown, Co Louth. Can't fault the saw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Wildquill

Totally agree with Old Tree - Stihl Ms250 or 260.

Most people buy saws that are way over-powered and thus too heavy and at the end of a long day when your arms are limp, that means more dangerous. My experience is that the salesman tends to push people to the bigger saws due to cost factors.

These Stihl's are light and powerful - the ideal saw for up to 350 mm diameters.

Good luck and be safe.

Wildquill

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭pachanco

deckycoop wrote: »

If I could only own one saw, it certainly wouldn't be that one!

What are you intending to use it for?, I'm sure it would saw up a few logs for you, but getting hold of parts may be an issue. I'm guessing you're on a tight budget. Would you consider looking for a second hand genuine stihl or husqvarna on DD or Adverts?

Both stihl and husqvarna have home owner ranges starting off around €300.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Much better saws available for not much more money secondhand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭kay 9

Have a number of saws from 32-80cc but got a husky 550xp last Feb and since then it is still getting nicer to use... Even pulls an 18" b&c with surprising authority for a 50cc. The 346xp was a wonderful saw in its day but the 550 is a better all rounder. From felling to limbing and especially bucking it excels over the 346. Long story short, definitely the saw of choice of only allowed one.. The 372xp is another great all rounder and very good power to weight ratio, but for sheer performance and the screaming sound and maneuverability of the 550 it gets pole position

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

Rovi is right. I would go with the 562. It is lighter and stronger than the MS362, with a second gen auto tune in it. With a muff mod, it is a very strong saw - stronger than even a 365.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭deckycoop

http://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/stihl-chainsaws/5821559

i know its a huge difference to the last saw i put up but its a monster and needs to be seen..

but seriously ive being down my local supplier and he has a nice Husqvarna 61 and its in great nick (i tink). what so i need to look out for and hes lookin for 330.. and he gives me a 6months warrenty.
    im a farmers son and having used saws in the past i have never went to buy 1 and am totally new to wat i need to look for. i need the saw for fellin timber. im after puttin in a solid fuel boiler in the shed to heat the house. i have the trees on my farm and the second the leaves fall of and the sap drys up il knock them and leave them over the winter as i have enough fuel for this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭pachanco

deckycoop wrote: »
    http://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/stihl-chainsaws/5821559

i know its a huge difference to the last saw i put up but its a monster and needs to be seen..

I wouldn't fancy being the lad holding the bar end on that saw, you'd want to have a lot of trust in the lad pulling the trigger!

Did you buy the Husky 61?, there are others on the forum that would be better placed to advise you on it's suitability for your needs, sounds good to me though, especially the six month warranty (is that parts and labour?). It really depends how much use it has had. Does it have a new bar and chain on it? If it looks very clean then that is a good sign. You could always chance your arm and see if he'll throw in an extra chain with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭VNP

Using a 550xp since last year have a nice bit of work done with it been using it daily for 6 hours at least the last few months cant recomend it enough, its light enough not to feel strained working fast in small trees, I have knocked some bigger stuff a bit with it too fast and easy to make a few cuts with and clamber out of the way on ditches and that, but id be afraid to pull an 18 inch bar on it or spend the day buzzing bigger stuff.

A friend bought 560xp at a great price from honeys there a few weeks ago, hes a really strong hardy guy and for thinning work he was finding it a bit more difficult to use weight wise than the 550xp even though theres only a kilo and a bit in the difference , but the 560 has an 18 inch bar and serious grunt, Its supposed to be just a kilo or 2 heavier and different balance on the handle makes it a bit more awkward i found felt longer, the feeling of lightness you get when you rev out the 550 doesnt feel the same on the 560. doctors differ I suppose, not sure about the sthil alternative to these saws never used them dont think id part from my 550 though for what i do.

365s some weapon, built on the 372(?) aluminium i was told, not sure how many you'd find around now though one for the magpies with dusty shelves full of bits :)

VNP wrote: »
    Using a 550xp since last year have a nice bit of work done with it been using it daily for 6 hours at least the last few months cant recomend it enough, its light enough not to feel strained working fast in small trees, I have knocked some bigger stuff a bit with it too fast and easy to make a few cuts with and clamber out of the way on ditches and that, but id be afraid to pull an 18 inch bar on it or spend the day buzzing bigger stuff.

A friend bought 560xp at a great price from honeys there a few weeks ago, hes a really strong hardy guy and for thinning work he was finding it a bit more difficult to use weight wise than the 550xp even though theres only a kilo and a bit in the difference , but the 560 has an 18 inch bar and serious grunt, Its supposed to be just a kilo or 2 heavier and different balance on the handle makes it a bit more awkward i found felt longer, the feeling of lightness you get when you rev out the 550 doesnt feel the same on the 560. doctors differ I suppose, not sure about the sthil alternative to these saws never used them dont think id part from my 550 though for what i do.

365s some weapon, built on the 372(?) aluminium i was told, not sure how many you'd find around now though one for the magpies with dusty shelves full of bits :)

0.7 kg in weight difference according to specs. "A kg or two" is a huge span between a 50 and 60cc saw. If it was 2 kg heavier people would be getting 460s or 372s. The 550 is a great little saw though no doubt.. Have one myself, can't see myself upgrading for some time..

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭VNP

Aye fair point, Well it(560) has the 18 inch bar and chain wher as mine has 15 which might contribute a few of grammes difference too, but its mainly the balance on the handle i think, maybe the petrol tank has slightly larger capacity full too? but its definately noticable 0.7kg of a difference, which I didnt think there would be until I used it for a day to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

Is it somewhat true that the newer Stihl and Husqvarna Saws are not made with the same high quality parts as before when they were being Made in Germany . Neighbour of mine bought New Stihl in 2011 (not sure of the model) but he has lot of problems with it, seems to be always giving him hassle. Compared to his Ms290 the old reliable as he calls it.

VNP wrote: »

As with most professional saws, the chassis is magnesium. Lighter and as strong as aluminum for saw use. I have the Jonsered version of the Husky 365 - a 2165. I have installed a ported big bore kit(77cc) and made a few other small mods to it. In the States, the same chassis was used with up to a 75cc displacement from the factory(AKA 375XPW). It is my 'big saw' whilst in Ireland.

Newer pro saws are very well made, and built to last. An MS290 is actually considered more of a homeowners saw. It is low on power for it's weight compared to pro saws, and has plastic where pro saws have magnesium. It should last a long while when not in professional use, though.

I have used similarly built saws to the 290 before. I have had the MS250 loose a few AV mounts. It's not a terribly robust saw for pro work, but for occasional use, it is a good little saw. I liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Cowabunga

I have a number of saws and have had over the years. My most reliable saw to date was a stihl 361 (now discontinued) and stick a 16" bar on it. Maybe around 7 years with me. That's a lot for a saw that was worked every day!! And fired up without hassle. Did mass amounts of cutting. It did however pack in. I replaced it with a 362, as is the new model, keeping with the 16 inch bar it has great power as did the 361. But will it stand up to the same as the last? So far so good but only time will tell. I'd say go with the Stihl 362 for reliability, power (keep the 16" on it) and comfort too.

• Advertisement

Cowabunga wrote: »
    I have a number of saws and have had over the years. My most reliable saw to date was a stihl 361 (now discontinued) and stick a 16" bar on it. Maybe around 7 years with me. That's a lot for a saw that was worked every day!! And fired up without hassle. Did mass amounts of cutting. It did however pack in. I replaced it with a 362, as is the new model, keeping with the 16 inch bar it has great power as did the 361. But will it stand up to the same as the last? So far so good but only time will tell. I'd say go with the Stihl 362 for reliability, power (keep the 16" on it) and comfort too.

The 361 is kind of a legendary saw in terms of reliability. They say the 362 aint the same as its predecessor hence why alot of people tend to swing towards the 560xp instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Justjens

I love my Stihl MS 390. Great saw. Suits me down to the ground. Power to weight ratio is great and it's comfortable to use for a full day's cutting. Price was right too from Denis Smyth in Tallanstown, Co Louth. Can't fault the saw.

Anyone who owns a Stihl MS390 should be aware of the possible failure of the decompression valve, the saw is not really big enough to need one and therefore never gets used, by me anyway:rolleyes:. They are then inclined to corrode, fail and fall into the cylinder without any warning, if you DON'T use the decom valve remove it for safety's sake.

Luckily I got away with a dent in the top of the piston and only a new set of rings, on the positive side I got a new skill-set of dismantling my saw:D

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭sthilmick

in my opinion buy a pro husky, stihl or solo .I've had 2 homeowner/farmer saws and never again the whole thing with the pro saw is their built to work all day a 550 or 261 should do most work and out last you if your only cutting a bit for your own home . You'll spend a bit more but you'll get what your paying for the arms wont be dragged off you pulling them around the vibration level is better and they run like demons and do a fair bit of work for a gallon of petrol the bigger huskies 560 365 372 576 and stihl 362 441 461 are full time big money saws plus hard wood under 50 yrs old should be bogger than 30 inches in diameter so no need for big bars

Advertisement