Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who will be waterfords last mayor?

Options
  • 02-06-2013 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

seen the mayors job is up again will an outsider get the job or will it be one or the same old group recycled again.......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Ahh go away, you mean you don't know?are you a spammer:D:D trying to stir the ****.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Would like to see Davy Walsh (Workers Party) get it. Never got it because he is not in the clique. He's over 30 years in the council without being mayor. Would be a fitting tribute.

BTW I am far from a Workers Party supporter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It won't be the last Mayor, the City will still exist so there will still be a Mayor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

Sideshow BOB

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

Odats wrote: »
    Would like to see Davy Walsh (Workers Party) get it. Never got it because he is not in the clique. He's over 30 years in the council without being mayor. Would be a fitting tribute.

he never got it???...he never once supported a city council budget either...(but then again, neither did john Halligan until he saw the opportunity to get his hands on the mayoralty...he then promptly ditched the workers party and all of his so-called principles!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 orwellian

Chris Doran

• Registered Users Posts: 38,335 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Heard the young John cummins will be mayor.

Surely must be the youngest mayor of all time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

I think with the upcoming merger of the councils-this vote for the next mayor puts both mary roche and gary wyse in a testing position- both gary and mary claim they are against the merger-if they are true to their principles and strong views against the merger both of them should in no way vote for someone to be mayor whos in the council pact/clique who would be supportive of the merger- only a vote for someone whos outside of the pact and against the merger-its my understanding both mary roche and gary wyse are affiliated to the waterford gives a shirt campaign- does anyone from wgas care to comment on the upcoming council vote for the next mayor-should gary and mary vote for someone whos in the pact and supportive of the merger would you still consider them as part of the wgas campaign?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

He should go for Killkenny Mayor,he is good for the Ferrybank people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Who cares who the next mayor is, like the councillors in Waterford and across the country, they are by and large an expensive ineffective waste of money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

orwellian wrote: »
    Chris Doran

He'd be my choice too. At least he is not a politician!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 NZ Blaa

Completely agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 NZ Blaa

Am Chile wrote: »
    I think with the upcoming merger of the councils-this vote for the next mayor puts both mary roche and gary wyse in a testing position- both gary and mary claim they are against the merger-if they are true to their principles and strong views against the merger both of them should in no way vote for someone to be mayor whos in the council pact/clique who would be supportive of the merger- only a vote for someone whos outside of the pact and against the merger-its my understanding both mary roche and gary wyse are affiliated to the waterford gives a shirt campaign- does anyone from wgas care to comment on the upcoming council vote for the next mayor-should gary and mary vote for someone whos in the pact and supportive of the merger would you still consider them as part of the wgas campaign?

Very good post, I think you will see a lot of councillors trying to run with the hares and hunt with the hounds over the next couple of weeks. There has been much talk about the amalgamation being nothing to do with the pact but i think you hit the nail on the head there by saying that no-one against the amalgamation could vote for a pro-merger candidate, or by abstaining facilitate their election. That would be the final kick in the teeth by the pact to the people of Waterford. The cases of Roche and Wyse are interesting. I believe Wyse has publicly supported the anti pact candidate, Davy Walsh for Mayor but Mary Roche is still voting with the FG\LAB pact. She has been very very vocal in anti amalgamation but all her good work would be undone, in my opinion, if she facilitated the election of a FG mayor by either abstention or otherwise.

I think Seamus Ryan is in the same boat but time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Surely the above posts belong in the

Waterford Politics MEGATHREAD *politics posts outside of this thread WILL be deleted*

First off and most importantly, this thread is for discussion of Waterford politics and council related issues ONLY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Am Chile wrote: »

I was involved with WGAS but I speak for myself here, your post is good but ignores the basic rule of politics , pragmatism.
    One fights a battle, you lose, you play the new game, you must stay in the tent.
    It may seem unprincipled etc but that is politics like it or lump it.
    They supported WGAS campaign but were not members or in anyway involved directly in the campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

theres a bit of a campaign for davy walsh but i reckon it will be another one recyled from the clique....
    this is the last official city council mayor however!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Hoffmans wrote: »
    theres a bit of a campaign for davy walsh but i reckon it will be another one recyled from the clique....
    this is the last official city council mayor however!
    While I am against this merger for a number of reasons, from what I understand Waterford City Council is only in existence since the Local Government 2001 Act anyway, it was called Waterford Corporation before that. The only difference now with the merger is that the new Council and its Mayor will represent both Waterford City and County, so we won't lose a Mayor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

While I am against this merger for a number of reasons, from what I understand Waterford City Council is only in existence since the Local Government 2001 Act anyway, it was called Waterford Corporation before that. The only difference now with the merger is that the new Council and its Mayor will represent both Waterford City and County, so we won't lose a Mayor.
    http://www.wlrfm.com/news-and-sport/waterford-news/182080-siptu-backs-campaign-to-elect-davy-walsh-as-next-mayor-of-waterford-city.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

While I am against this merger for a number of reasons, from what I understand Waterford City Council is only in existence since the Local Government 2001 Act anyway,

And this makes Hogan's discrimination alright then?

At the risk of repeating myself - this is being done on the basis of a "cost savings" BS excuse. Two administrative centres remain open. Almost the same amount of Councillors remain. So - where exactly ARE these "cost savings" coming from? And why wasn't the same done in Galway and Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

7upfree wrote: »

At the risk of repeating myself - this is being done on the basis of a "cost savings" BS excuse. Two administrative centres remain open. Almost the same amount of Councillors remain. So - where exactly ARE these "cost savings" coming from? And why wasn't the same done in Galway and Cork?
    I know, the reasons for the merger are bull, especially the dubious cost-saving reasons and that it's not happening in Cork or Galway. I don't like that the merger is happening, but I think a bit of balance is needed around the whole 'no more mayor' thing, that's all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

I know, the reasons for the merger are bull, especially the dubious cost-saving reasons and that it's not happening in Cork or Galway. I don't like that the merger is happening, but I think a bit of balance is needed around the whole 'no more mayor' thing, that's all.

I would agree. The pact has turned the whole thing into farce really. Another thought which came to mind today is what will happen to Waterford County council offices at Tramore? Now ten minutes drive from the City - and within the "Metropolitan area":rolleyes: With a new City Council depot at Carrickphierish.

Are these going to be kept open along with Dungarvan? If so this will be exposed for the sham (and attack on our City) that it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

John Cummins voted in as last mayor tonight according to Damien Tiernan's twitterfeed.

And here is who voted for him.

http://twitter.yfrog.com/od4akzqwj?sa=0

I'm quite supprised to see seamus ryan in there considering he's against the merger

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭decies

He's only 28 apparently !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 seanorpen

Just on save Waterford City facebook page

Tom Fitzgerald

That was a great vote for downgrading Waterford as a City tonight. An old schoolteacher of mine and a member of the toastmasters would always tell me that Waterford people were always great for knocking their own. They had an inferiority complex that they just couldn't shake. It was just a monkey that was always destined to be on their back. They were incapable of standing up for themselves. What am I on about ????
    Tonight we had the Mayoral vote at ''CITY HALL''
    Davey Walsh 5
    John Cummins 9
    Abstained 1

Well it's no surprise that Phil Hogan's sheep in Fine Gael and Labour were always going to do what their master from outside the City ordered them to do. What is getting up my Goat here is what were Davey Daniels, Cha O'Neill and Mary Roche up to.
    What creed if any have these three ?
    Just re-read Mary Roche's postings on her own page on BlogSpot.
    Open letters to An Taoiseach and City and County Amalgamation Implementation Committee begging/pleading/imploring Big Phil to change his mind.
    Finally time comes to send a message and what does Mary do ?
    SEND THAT MESSAGE and vote for Davey Walsh the Anti-Amalgamation candidate.... NOPE. Mary abstains. Well done Mary. Big Phil is quaking in his boots. What are you thinking Mary ?
    John Cummins couldn't be any more of a rubber stamp for big Phil.
    He is incapable of doing anything other than towing the Big Phil line. You abstained and allowed Cummins to become Mayor.
    Davey Daniels and Cha O'Neill voted FOR John Cummins.
    Please please please don't any of these three amigos come on any forum and try to convince us that either or any of you are PRO Waterford City and it's status. Hang your heads in shame. A troika of shame.

Just for the record.
    Gary Wyse
    John Hearne
    Dick Roche
    Sean Reinhardt
    These are the only councillors that voted for Davey Walsh the anti amalgamation candidate.

That monkey will always be on our big Waterford back. The three not so wise monkeys will make sure of that.

Tom Fitzgerald
    A proud Waterford man in Dublin

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I could be wrong but are the the mayors not decided when or shortly after the local elections? They just vote to reaffirm on the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

7upfree wrote: »

the only cost savings I can see will be the county debt halved (as half will be heaped onto the city)

fg/political nepotism still alive and well in Waterford, despite the current situation.. I will be going out of my way to remind people of a few things when the local elections come around.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭invalid

Davy Walsh not elected to be mayor, Shock, Horror. At no time ever would or should Davy Walsh become mayor. I actually would think its against his religion to be in any form of a responsible or accountable position.

As for the merger. Trust me i am against it and unfortunately horribly over involved in it. But, lets get very real here, what will change for the citizen? We will now have a unified authority for Waterford as a county, not 2 for a divided county. As traumatic as this merger is the most effected by the merger are actually the staff of the councils, not the elected members.

john Cummins wil be the last mayor of Waterford City Council. He will not be the last mayor of Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

The man who voted No for 34 years should not be shocked when he hears no back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

seanorpen wrote: »
    Just on save Waterford City facebook page

Tom Fitzgerald

That was a great vote for downgrading Waterford as a City tonight. An old schoolteacher of mine and a member of the toastmasters would always tell me that Waterford people were always great for knocking their own. They had an inferiority complex that they just couldn't shake. It was just a monkey that was always destined to be on their back. They were incapable of standing up for themselves. What am I on about ????
    Tonight we had the Mayoral vote at ''CITY HALL''
    Davey Walsh 5
    John Cummins 9
    Abstained 1

Well it's no surprise that Phil Hogan's sheep in Fine Gael and Labour were always going to do what their master from outside the City ordered them to do. What is getting up my Goat here is what were Davey Daniels, Cha O'Neill and Mary Roche up to.
    What creed if any have these three ?
    Just re-read Mary Roche's postings on her own page on BlogSpot.
    Open letters to An Taoiseach and City and County Amalgamation Implementation Committee begging/pleading/imploring Big Phil to change his mind.
    Finally time comes to send a message and what does Mary do ?
    SEND THAT MESSAGE and vote for Davey Walsh the Anti-Amalgamation candidate.... NOPE. Mary abstains. Well done Mary. Big Phil is quaking in his boots. What are you thinking Mary ?
    John Cummins couldn't be any more of a rubber stamp for big Phil.
    He is incapable of doing anything other than towing the Big Phil line. You abstained and allowed Cummins to become Mayor.
    Davey Daniels and Cha O'Neill voted FOR John Cummins.
    Please please please don't any of these three amigos come on any forum and try to convince us that either or any of you are PRO Waterford City and it's status. Hang your heads in shame. A troika of shame.

Just for the record.
    Gary Wyse
    John Hearne
    Dick Roche
    Sean Reinhardt
    These are the only councillors that voted for Davey Walsh the anti amalgamation candidate.

That monkey will always be on our big Waterford back. The three not so wise monkeys will make sure of that.

Tom Fitzgerald
    A proud Waterford man in Dublin

your old school teacher was full of rubbish. There is no inferiority complex here and the merger has absolutely nothing to do with the mayor vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭decies

decies wrote: »
    He's only 28 apparently !!!
    He's getting younger , he's actually only 25

Advertisement