Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mount Drummond Square, Harold's Cross

Options
  • 02-06-2013 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I am looking to buy a house in Mount Drummond Square, Harold's Cross and I would appreciate if anyone can give me some clues about it. How is the neighbourhood, schools, transport? Are the properties mostly rented or owner occupied? We are a young couple starting a family this year and we wonder how is the community there, is it safe? I am working in Dublin 4 and I am not sure what transport possibilities are to get there from Harold's Cross.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

I live around the corner and it's a great area your very close to everything, great transport links to everywhere (16 goes all the way to the airport in <1h) except d4. You can get the 18 but very unreliable and your better off walking or cycling to work.
    There are a few schools, but I don't know how good/bad. There is a mix of rented and owner occupied as you are close to town so your going to get that, but in general it's kept well. The park is really nice too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Citycap

The area around Harolds Cross is very convenient for town. Transport is good but a walk along the canal will have you in Lr Rathmines/Harcourt St very quickly and a nice walk on a Summers morning to Dublin 4.
    I passed by one Sunday lately and saw that the local community had a Summer fair in the park on H.X. Rd which shows that there is a nice little community spirit being built

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Sesudra

I've rented in Harolds Cross for the past 4 years, just a few roads up from Mount Drummond and can only echo what everyone has already said, it's a great place to live! Overall very peaceful, less than 35 minutes walk to town, the same to Baggot Street where I work. Serviced by the 9, 16, 49 and 54 buses on the main Harolds Cross road,and Rathmines is close by with loads of supermarkets,pubs and cafes/restaraunts.

So, I'd say if the house is good, go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭MonkeyWrench

We lived in Mount Drummond square up until March this year but we spent the previous 2 months to that trying to relocate out of this area to an area more suitable to a new family. We had issues with unsavory characters constantly hanging out in an alleyway behind the house looking onto Grosvenor Square. We were not the only ones. On a couple of occasions there were items missing out of our back garden. We looked into the schools in the surrounding areas and my partner felt that the options weren't great. Our friends who have children that are older say that this will become a major issue later hence we moved to a more suitable location with more viable options. Also we found the N81 is extremely busy. Best of luck with things!

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

There's a lot of information available on http://maps.pobal.ie/ using information from the CSO census

Including % unemployed, education levels age ratios etc.
    It's a bit fiddly but if you locate the area you are interested in (electoral district Rathmines West A) you can get a huge feel for the area

CSO seem to have something similar here http://census.cso.ie/sapmap/ but I can't get any info to appear

• Advertisement
Advertisement