Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfer Possibilities

Options
  • 02-06-2013 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

OK I'm hoping someone can clear this up for me:

I really want to do Psychiatric Nursing but don't think I'll get the points (for any HEI) - Psych Nursing used to be 320 or less back only 4 years ago and now it's 420 for UCD and around 380+ for other HEI's.

My mam is claiming that if I get arts in UCD that a transfer into first year nursing is possible (after completing first year arts - so say, beginning nursing in September 2014) and claims she's "seen it done plenty of times before" (she's been to UCD only recently as a mature student)

I'm skeptical about this because it just doesn't make sense. Why would they allow someone to transfer from a BA or a BSc. If it were that easy, wouldn't everyone be doing it? The only way I see it possible is applying through the CAO again, which makes no sense really if I don't get the points first time round!

So, can someone clear that up for me? Is it possible? Or is she mistaken?

Would I be better off taking a FETAC course in Pre Nursing, despite how competitive it is, to get into UCD? FREAKING OUT. Hating the stress of this leaving cert - I wouldn't wish it even on my worst enemy :mad:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Don't think it's possible.
    If you did a year in Arts you would have to reapply to the CAO to start a new course. There are some courses that allow movement but you would have to stay within the school of arts if thats where you started. Some stuff here on transfers
    Also, if you did a year of arts and then moved a new course, you would be paying full fees for that, so if you plan to get a grant for UCD, you would have to pay for the 1st year of Nursing, which stand at €7,314.
    I wouldn't start an arts degree and try change to another field. What might be something to consider is doing a year of Psych Nursing at a different location and try transfer to UCD for the rest of the course. However, this comes with its own issues such as applying and the course having no places available.

At this point, just get the head down and concentrate of the LC. Points change all the time so trying to guess where they will land is not going to help. Don't know anything about the FETAC course, but maybe someone else can help. G'luck with the exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

It's a weird one. Technically, it's possible, but in practice, it could be quite difficult.

To have any chance, you would need to be doing something remotely similar. Or at very least, do a programme with only a handfull of compulsery modules in 1st year and choose a load of psych nursing electives.

Then if you do really well in those nursing electives, you can apply to switch major going into second year. I know people who have done it (to and from different courses), and spaces free up in second year as people find a course doesn't suit them so switch to a joint major or different major all together, people drop out etc. etc., so it can be done, but there's no guarentee that it'll work.

Maybe someone else can clear this up, I'm not sure that you can pick any, completely unrelated electives - i.e. if you're studying Economics you can't just take a sh*t load of nursing electives, but I could be wrong. So best bet is to try and get something similar, maybe even something like psychology, and do nursing electives.

Don't worry about contacting the programmes (or admissions) office too, they're very helpful and just tell it like it is, many loop holes etc., if it's doable, they wont lie or scowl at you trying to get through one, they'll just tell you if it can be done or not. You should pop them an email.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭taz70

The simple answer is no - it's not possible.

All entries to new programmes is via the CAO, and there is essentially no internal transfer mechanism between programmes in UCD.

If you start in Arts and wish to transfer to Psych nursing, then you need to reapply the following year through the CAO.

Doing very well in your first year of Arts would be considered by the CAO, so it might bump you up, but there is no guarantee, and you'd be up for the full fees as a pp said.

I'd also recommend focussing on your LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

[Jackass] wrote: »

To have any chance, you would need to be doing something remotely similar. Or at very least, do a programme with only a handfull of compulsery modules in 1st year and choose a load of psych nursing electives.

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Maybe someone else can clear this up, I'm not sure that you can pick any, completely unrelated electives - i.e. if you're studying Economics you can't just take a sh*t load of nursing electives, but I could be wrong. So best bet is to try and get something similar, maybe even something like psychology, and do nursing electives.

If the OP did take arts as a first year she would only be able to take 1 Psy Nursing elective. 50 credits must be in the arts program, there is also a mandatory Humanities module using one of the electives leaving a remaining one.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 BubblegumBitch

OK, well thanks everyone! If Nursing doesn't work out, I'll probably end up doing Medical Biotech in Sligo or Applied Bio & Pharmaceutical Science in GMIT :) Of course I'd love to be a Psych nurse, but I guess if it's not meant to be...

Thanks for clearing it up :) x

• Advertisement
Advertisement