Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Seat toledo tdi, mpg and advice

Options
  • 02-06-2013 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

well lads ive made up my mind, i am going to buy a toledo this summer. Firstly because they can be got cheap enough and secondly because they are supposedley light on diesel.
    Now i always see in adds "car does 55+mpg easily", is this always the case? like if i bought one could i expect to be seeing this mpg out of it. Also roughly how much to fill the tank from empty? I would look at buying the 110bhp model. Anything to look out for these? 00,01 that kind of year car.
    Are they reliable also? i have a toyota at the moment, and well i think they are the king of reliability but need something ecnomical for college. Ill get one with some big pair of alloys any way like a5 or rs6 or something and coilovers so i can have it at a reasonable height. My own car is currently lowered 60mil and i would not buy a car that low again. Are they coilovers comfortable to drive on or not?
    Anything specific to look out for when buying one or anything to avoid or would turn you off going to look at one? Thanks lads. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

The bits I can answer.

Coilovers and comfort depends on spring rate and dampening of the coilover.
    Proper dampening control can let you go with lower spring rates, you wont get that on a cheaper coilover.

Huge wheels with low profile tyres also effect the spring rate and comfort. Big squishy rubber = comfort. Low profile skinny tyres are harsher and more expensive. Bigger wheels usually means more mass so higher spring rate needed....

Big wheels with minimal clearance means higher spring rates to stop you hitting arches.

So the answer is it depends on your plans and setup. I would also consider a fixed height spring and damper setup. You can get adjustable dampers, you don't necessarily have to go to coilovers unless you want the easy height adjustment.

Ogh and get your car tracked after you fiddle with the suspension.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

55mpg+ "easily" (consistantly) tbh is nothing more than fantasy.

55mpg is available on a long motorway run and 55 is the peak fuel economy you will see, maybe 60mpg if you really granny it. i would say mixed driving (town and motorway combo) you'd see 45 ish mpg. around town expect 28-32 mpg imo.

the leon has a 55L tank, so asuming you buy diesel at 1.50 a liter and the tank is not completely empty when you go to refill it will cost between €70 and €80 to fill.

imo they aren't exceptionally reliable. we had some similar sort of tdi metal on the family fleet for a few years. had its fair share of electrical issues. had EGR problems too.

i'l let someone else tell you what to look out for when buying one because i'm just tempted to say "better alternatives". the reasons i wouldn't buy one is the lack of "spec" in a vag group car of that era. you'l probably end up paying premium car money for a car with windy windows, no central locking, nothing but blank switches on the dash etc etc. but if thats what makes you happy then what harm i suppose.

are you doing diesel mileage? i had a bit of a fart around in a 01 leon cupra 20VT the other day, and it was very nice. looked gorgeous at standard ride height with the factory 17"/18"s (i forget which), from what i'm told was very very cheap and would leave a tdi in its dust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭tmboy95

@ toyotafanboi thanks for the reply , well alot of my drive would be main road and the motorway, say it takes me 40 mins to get where il go to college. I just worked it out and its around 62 miles to go in and come home again for one day. And on weekends id have to call to the ould doll and like maybe meet up with friends so a good 360+miles a week. And during the summer l might have a few road trips so i was thinking definately go diesel. I was looking at D4D vans and cars but its hard to get one for my budget, and boras are dear enough and the insurance as well on them. So i turned to toledos, but always have place in my heart for toyota!haha.

@Jimmy thanks for all the info there. Given me alot to think about , and im thinking il be careful enough now if buying a lowered one or with massive alloys. Id make sure its comfortable and able to take a load with out rubbing or tearing. As for alloys ill see what on the car or i might just buy a pair and put them on standard car.

Advertisement