Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a series for me please?

Options
  • 02-06-2013 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

So yeah, could anyone recommend a series for me that is not like 200+ episodes long? I have been watching Naruto and I am on episode 109 and it is so frustrating. I keep seeing spoilers and it is killing me, even bloody Google search is killing me thanks to it suggesting searches which end up spoiling the show for me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Hiberno Caledonian

I like Elfen Lied. It's definitely 18+ though. There's lots of gratuitous nudity and violence but there's a really good story behind it. I read the manga too. The manga was much better but I still loved the anime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

What sort of stuff are you looking for specifically? Something akin to Naruto but shorter?

Luckily for you, the vast majority of anime series are either 12/13 episodes long or 24-26 episodes. Very few series run for longer than that and even less go above the 100 episode mark. Is there any other anime you enjoy? Give us some more info and I'm sure someone can recommend something you'd like :)

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭The Sky

I am not really looking for something specific. I'm not fussed on whether it's like Naruto or not, just that it is enjoyable. I am new to anime and I am finding it amazing that it can draw emotion from me and that I can care for these characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭AzN

Shingeki no Kyojin is a series that draws most to tears. Perhaps you'd enjoy it, it's currently still running though so you'd have to wait one week for a new episode.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

The slayers
    Full metal panic
    bacanno
    chrome shelled regios
    sword art online
    GUn grave
    trigun

they'll get ya started.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

also Vandread and desert punk are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

If you're only really familiar with Naruto or a few other big titles, best start ehm...building some foundations :D.... .. .
    Fullmetal Alchemist (drama/fantasy)
    Gunslinger Girls (drama/action)
    Red Garden (drama/action/psychological)

Samurai Champloo (feudal japan/drama)
    The House of Five Leaves (feudal japan/drama)
    Mononoke (feudal japan/horror)

Ghost Hound (psychological/drama)
    Boogiepop Phantom
    Princess Tutu
    Ergo Proxy
    Haibane Renmei
    Paranoia Agent
    Kemonozue
    Texhnolyze

Scrapped Princess (fantasy/adventure)
    Claymore (dark-fantasy/drama)
    Last Exile (adventure/sci-fi/steampunk)
    Noein (sci-fi/action)
    Dennou Coil (slice of life/sci-fi)

Kamichu! (slice of life/fantasy)
    Minami-ke (comedy/slice of life)
    Ichigo Mashimaro

Bokura ga Ita (romance/drama)
    Kita e: Diamond Dust Drops
    Blue Drop (shoujo-ai)
    REC
    Koi Kaze (..;))
    Le Portrait de Petite Cossette
    Piano: The Melody of a Young Girl`s Heart

Ehhh... got a bit carried away there... mh'mm, lists. ...Anyway, you should get a couple out of those you'll enjoy, and from them you can find others you like. Use http://anidb.net.

Ohhh some very nice suggestions there ^^^^^ :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

Shounen Maid Kuro Kun! and Boku no Pico

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

19543261 wrote: »
    Scrapped Princess (fantasy/adventure)

Ah flashback to college! Actually cant recall how this ended...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭emo72

looking for something myself. heard of beck, death note, im coming from the studio ghibli movies. heard that they were decent. anyone agree with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

emo72 wrote: »
    looking for something myself. heard of beck, death note, im coming from the studio ghibli movies. heard that they were decent. anyone agree with that?

Eh.. not really shows I'd recommend to someone for their first.

You'd be much better off with either Dennou Coil, Paranoia Agent or Samurai Champloo. You wont be disappointed. Watch all three, in fact.

When someone has never watched any anime before, I want to blow their ****ing mind. I want to show them something free from Anime Bull**** (i.e. melodrama, regurgitated characters, plot troupes, etc.) and full of class, beauty, emotion and originality. I want to show what the medium is capable of, of it at its greatest.These three shows capture that pretty well, I think.

(no spoilers)

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GarH

Hmm. Nobody mentioned Cowboy Bebop.
    Similiar to Samurai Champloo only sci-fi (if that makes sense)
    One of the anime shows than got me started.

Plus the music is awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Martonio

Elfin Lied is absolutely amazing! I haven't read the manga but it is the only anime that makes me want to start. Such a great story.

Studio Ghilbi got me interested a few years ago with Spirited Away and I loved them. I then started other animes usually a long running series like DB, Naruto and Bleach (unfortunately that stopped airing).
    Trigun is good, I also recommend bleach, it only goes to 366 episodes :P
    I watched a terrible short series a while ago "Dance in the Vampire Bund". Has anyone seen it?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

And a recommendation for myself. Based on what I've seen:

Death Note - Still my favourite as I loved them trying to out-smart each other all the time.

Code Geas: Lelouch of the Rebellion - Really enjoyed this one. Again an element of out smarting each other.

Noein - Good, if not in the same league.

Cowboy Bebop - Might try it again but I couldn't really get into this.

Full Metal Alchemist - Just finished this, with just the movie left to view. Enjoyed it but the ending was a bit rubbish - hopefully the movie will do it more justice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Serial Experiments Lain, as long as you don't mind things getting very surreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GarH

ixoy wrote: »
    Full Metal Alchemist - Just finished this, with just the movie left to view. Enjoyed it but the ending was a bit rubbish - hopefully the movie will do it more justice.

I much preferred Full Metal Alchemist - Brotherhood. Same characters and story (ish) but it seems to written better. And the ending is so much better.
    You should try to watch it soon after watching the FMA movie. There are some huge differences between the two series.

Blassreiter was brilliant also I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

I am going to recommend what my friend recommended to me when I first got into anime. He knew that I would not dedicate myself to long series, so he kept them short and sweet. Also, it is a mix of a lot of genres, many of which have a mix of emotion and humour, which I particularly like:

- FLCL (Space Pirates/Crazy Fun Chick/Much Humour)
    - Neon Genesis Evangelion (the Citizen Kane of Anime. Powerful stuff, classic)
    - s-CRY-ed (kind of humourous with action, but you do grow to really care about the characters)
    - Generator Gawl (humourous, action, with a few poignant moments)
    - Martian Successor Nadesico (kind of a parody of other animes, so watch it after you have gotten a taste for anime, but a good anime in its own right. DO NOT WATCH THE MOVIE!)
    - Elfen Lied (violent anime, serious stuff, but definitely worth watching. Definitely 18+, especially if you like puppies)

Each of these could be watched over the course of a weekend if you have the time to dedicate to it.

Advertisement