Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stair gates

Options
  • 02-06-2013 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

OK so my child discovered she can crawl, stand and climb pretty much overnight so we need to block off her new favourite toy - the stairs!

Does anyone have any recommendations?
    Also silly question but how do they attach/stay in place?
    Is it suction?

I'm looking at the one coming into Lidl at the moment, would it be worth getting

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

we have the lidl ones and needed the extensions for them so do measure 1st.
    We screwed the plastic cups to the wall,when they were stuck there they could be pulled down by a strong child who was adamnt to pass them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

We got the lidl ones and also screwed them into the wall for extra security.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭movingsucks

Thanks, so would you guys say screwing them in is a necessity?
    We rent so I don't think screwing things in will be possible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Thanks, so would you guys say screwing them in is a necessity?
    We rent so I don't think screwing things in will be possible

For me it was because of the way the stairs are we had to mount it to the banisters which are varnished and didn't provide as much grip as I wanted. I agree about measuring also as you may need to get extensions, we did for the top of the stairs but not the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I got the Lindam Easy Fit Plus Deluxe Safety Gate from argos. (didn't know lidl did them). I also rent and didn't have to screw them. We gave it a lot of tugging and pulling at the top to make sure it was very secure as I was nervous of LO pulling at it and shaking it and I couldn't budge it. LO stands at the top swinging out of it and its perfectly secure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

We rent and have the screw in one. Landlord had no problem as long as we told him first. Polyfilla will sort it afterwards. No big deal.

We had the sucker one before and i didn't feel it was secure enough. The walls are uneven here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The problem with the Lidl ones, I think, is they have a bar going along the bottom which screams trip over me. It is required in order for it to be fitted without having to be permanently affixed to the wall etc we chose not to put them up in our own house, we keep them for the in laws when visiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Claire de Lune

We bought the Lidl one a couple of years ago, it was perfect for us, we are also renting so couldn't screw it. It works with a tension rod that you tighten until it is secure. Yes, there is a bar across the bottom, it can be dangerous but we all got used to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭movingsucks

Thanks everyone for the info,
    Got one in argos after I think its the same one Suucee posted.
    So far its just suctioned but its fairly tight and she has mostly ignored it. If we have to screw it later will ask the landlady.

Thanks again to everyone who posted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

I'd go for screw ones, we had the pressure ones and they destroyed the stairs, the knewel post at the bottom was pushed out so we had to replace it (not complaining as the posts on the stairs ran horizontally and he had was climbing them soon afterward - had images of him coming head first out the top of the landing). The screw in ones are more secure imo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement