Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog allegedly lured to its death by University of Limerick students in drunken game?

• 02-06-2013 9:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/leader-local/dog-lured-to-its-death-by-university-of-limerick-students-in-drunken-game-1-5146594

If this is a factual account of what happened, it is hard to figure how so-called "educated" young people can behave in such a depraved manner, drunk or not. This is a typical example of how we, the Irish can't celebrate or express ourselves without getting p*ssed out of our minds. A typical Irish "immaturity" gene we seem to possess in abundance.

If UL management has any balls at all, they will leave no stone unturned to expose the culprits, but somehow I doubt they'll try too hard.

Let's hope the scumbags responsible are identified and dealt with by the courts, but I'm not very hopeful.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭seaniefr

The most disturbing article that i have read about Limerick in months (and that's saying something about my hometown). How sick and twisted are these people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Rumor has it this is happening in the North side of Cork, young people taking peoples does and killing them, An old man found his dog in the middle of the night with a rope around its neck with one of his legs broken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Some really psychopathic individuals out there!

Btw: would you please be a bit more specific than "the northside" it's a huge area that takes in some of the wealthiest and some of the roughest areas of Cork, much like the southside!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

It's equally possible that these could have been secondary school students celebrating the end of their year. There seems to be very little evidence put forward by that article to support the accusation of them being UL students. In fact it seems odd that a bunch of UL students would be drinking "near the green", surely they would be more likely to drink in their houses?

Sickening behaviour nonetheless, and I hope whoever they are they are caught and punished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

God that is absolutely horrifying! Why didnt the resident call the Gardai??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 988 ✭✭✭deadeye187

This is sick for sure, kinda makes me mad. That poor little dog.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Sick f*cks, i would have done a lot more than shout at them, i'll be banned if i say what i would have done so i won't :mad:

The University should pursue this and give them what they deserve - expulsion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

The one's involved should also be put down on a special offenders list as to never be allowed to own a pet of any kind for life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭moby2101

zenno wrote: »
    The one's involved should also be put down on a special offenders list as to never be allowed to own a pet of any kind for life.
    +1

Name and shame these ****ers...make sure they are expelled and repay every cent they may have received in grant aid from us taxpayers..

Scum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

If they have been reported to the appropriate channels in UL (which I hope they have) they won't be let off lightly, as I've heard of harsh punishment for far less grievous matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Solair wrote: »
    Some really psychopathic individuals out there!

Btw: would you please be a bit more specific than "the northside" it's a huge area that takes in some of the wealthiest and some of the roughest areas of Cork, much like the southside!

Gurranabraher / Blanery Street Area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

this is unreal, why do animals get treated so, then the perpretators get off scott free, it makes me sick, at least 12 months no remession.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Expulsion, and criminal prosecution for those involved.

You can judge the morality of a nation by the way the society treats its animals -Mahatma Gandh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

If someone did that to my dog I don't know if I could control myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

There wudn´t be too many students around limerick 2 weeks after the exams finished unless they were doing postgrads.

If they know they´re students they must know where they live so why did they not phone the gardai or give names to the university so it can be dealt with..

Can the university do anything about something that happened outside of UL?
    surely it would be a gardai issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭phonypony

Scumbags. I've been on a bus in Dublin before when this has happened.
    With any luck (justice) they will be prosecuted, expelled from Uni, their careers destroyed. They've demonstrated a lack of responsibility, common sense and compassion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

You can judge the morality of a nation by the way the society treats its animals -Mahatma Gandh

Okay, we probably shouldn't string up these students then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

garv123 wrote: »
    If they know they´re students they must know where they live so why did they not phone the gardai or give names to the university so it can be dealt with..

Not necessarily. They might know they're students because of many different things..

But if that story is true, Sick f**kers.

My faith in humanity refuses to let me believe it was as cut and dry as that, or that they all laughed and walked away, especially if there were more than 4 or 5 people involved.

Surely ONE would do something.
    This is the bit i find particularly unbelievable (Sounds more like a lie/gross exaggeration)
    “Did the students feel remorse after this disgusting act? No. As the dog lay dying in agony, the students laughed and jeered at my brother-in-law as he roared and scolded them.”

If i am wrong, and that is true, i'll help stone them to to death.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 988 ✭✭✭deadeye187

people feel very strong about this, and rightly so....this is a sick act that needs to see them who done this take responsibility......is there anything we can do?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

****ing **** headed scumbags.

Horrible thing to do and really hope some justice is done. Would personally hunt down who done it, if it were my dog and deliver justice how it should be done, rather than the little slap on the wrist our 'justice' system gives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭redron74

About a month ago, I was walking by the river at UL when I saw a load of animal hair strewn about beside where the pier used to be, behind the old sports building. It seemed to be dog hair. There was quite a lot of it, which suggested to me that someone had perhaps shaved a dog there. It was a little bizarre and quite disturbing.
    I mentioned it to someone who works at the university, and they said it was most likely youths from town who often hang around the more isolated parts of the campus on weekend evenings, drinking and/or getting high and just hanging out.
    While I'm not disturbed by groups of young people hanging out (after all, I was a teenager myself for a while!!!) there are certain lines that should not be crossed, like harrassment of passers-by/locals and animal cruelty. Things like littering might be mildly annoying, but are not in the same category.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

garv123 wrote: »
    There wudn´t be too many students around limerick 2 weeks after the exams finished unless they were doing postgrads.

Just because the article was written two weeks after the exam doesn't mean that it didn't happen after the exams. Many students have paied rent until the end of May and many hang around to enjoy their last few days together before the summer.
    It will be hard to kick these scumbags out of the university. How many students are in college court? You don't even know if they live in college court and in the end of the day it just what one person says vs. what the other person says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

It's all well and good saying the university management should 'do something', but while that's true, it's much more important that the peers of these guys report it.

There are probably hundreds of young people now in Limerick that know exactly who did this and each of them has a responsibility to call the Gardai.

That's not ratting someone out, that's being brave and standing up to cruelty. Same could apply to a lot of criminality tbh, too many people shy away from defending their communities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

There's a catch all in the University's Code of Conduct, but no disciplinary action will be pursued if the state or an individual is pursuing a matter through the courts. To do so may prejudice the outcome of a court case, and the University isn't going to get involved in any such activity to give the public a head on a plate.

The disciplinary hearings take in a huge depth of evidence where they do proceed, a letter to a newspaper wouldn't come close to substantial evidence. The committee would likely start by establishing if the dog existed, if it died, how it died etc. The complainant would be invited to address the committee, then the accused, then the committee would have to determine the events from the accounts given.

All that aside, anyone that would do what was described to an animal is a sick b****rd.

thats so sad :( poor dog , i hope they get everything that comes to them

no doubt rich daddy and mammy will buy there freedom

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭canned_ulkc

Terry I assume? The same comment from the same person on the leader website?

Just to say that your statement suggests that everyone in UL has a "rich mammy and daddy".

It's an idiotic and inaccurate statement that only distracts from a serious issue.

Hopefully, if this is factual, those responsible will get what they deserve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

thats so sad :( poor dog , i hope they get everything that comes to them

You have to be rich to go to uni now?

:pac::pac:

• Advertisement

I bet they werent even from Limerick!

Most of the so called wreckless students are often from well respected families from other counties!

Advertisement