Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog allegedly lured to its death by University of Limerick students in drunken game?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

All aboard the outrage bandwagon it seems

I don't care if it was students, random people from the area, secondary school pupils or whoever, I sincerely hope those who did it get whats coming to them, anyone who does that to animals deserve severe punishment.

However the amount of people who must have little to do but abuse people on Facebook for daring to get a good understanding of what happened before commenting on the letter itself is ridiculous. Would people prefer to just lynch the student population itself before we find out the facts of the case or what.

Also the petition itself is awful, have a bit of cop on and let the authorities get some evidence before you put up a shoddily spelt, reactionary petition

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

It's on the journal.ie now
    http://www.thejournal.ie/university-limerick-students-dog-death-936647-Jun2013/
    And the article before it is about the cork examiner add.
    Class marketing for Limerick.

Also about this story, we have a letter from someone about an event that somebody else witnessed and no other information.
    Who's dog was it?
    Who took him to a vet or removed the remains?
    Was it reported to anyone, beside the letter writer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

jmch81 wrote: »
    It's on the journal.ie now
    http://www.thejournal.ie/university-limerick-students-dog-death-936647-Jun2013/
    And the article before it is about the cork examiner add.
    Class marketing for Limerick.

Also about this story, we have a letter from someone about an event that somebody else witnessed and no other information.
    Who's dog was it?
    Who took him to a vet or removed the remains?
    Was it reported to anyone, beside the letter writer?

The funny thing about it all is the only thing it was reported to is the papers, not the gardai, UL or what ever the animal protection groups are in limerick.
    “As the dog lay dying in agony, the students laughed and jeered at my brother-in-law as he roared and scolded them,” the letter-writer claimed.
    so this so called hero scolded the people but never bothered to take their names, where they lived, or phoned the gardai.
    Instead they go to the papers about it..

IMO it sounds like a pissed off resident who's sick of students and wanted a chance to bash all students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dh0011

Cork24 wrote: »
    Gurranabraher / Blanery Street Area.

Having lived on Blarney Street for two years up to December I can say that you are talking rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

garv123 wrote: »
    The funny thing about it all is the only thing it was reported to is the papers, not the gardai, UL or what ever the animal protection groups are in limerick.

so this so called hero scolded the people but never bothered to take their names, where they lived, or phoned the gardai.
    Instead they go to the papers about it..

IMO it sounds like a pissed off resident who's sick of students and wanted a chance to bash all students.
    The more I think about this story the more I agree with you. It just doesnt add up.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 beerfart

My god almighty they have petitions and all going now to get the students expelled and they don't even know if they were college students. Some people like their high horses.

More than likely what happened is that people were on the green drinking on a nice day and were throwing a ball to the dog. (By the way the dog shouldn't be left out on its own). The lads probably didn't even know the dog was knocked down and thought a man was going up giving them grief for drinking and thats why they were jeering him.

Where was the driver of the car? Where were the police? Just sounds to me like annoying neighbours who hate students who would try their best to tarnish students living in the area. Probably a logical explanation behind it all.

No report or complaint was made to the gaurds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

So we have sick bastards who need sterilisation and expulsion/sacking (against the EEA) despite no proof that:
    1. A dog existed
    2. A dog died
    3. A vehicle hit a dog
    4. someone / some people did it on purpose

I can see this case getting very far :rolleyes:

ninty9er wrote: »
    So we have sick bastards who need sterilisation and expulsion/sacking (against the EEA) despite no proof that:
    1. A dog existed
    2. A dog died
    3. A vehicle hit a dog
    4. someone / some people did it on purpose

I can see this case getting very far :rolleyes:

All UL students are savages and scum capable of doing it and thats all the proof needed!!

:pac:

Thanks guys for following up on my post. I've found this story strange from the start. It's based on a letter to a newspaper and nothing else as off yet. I am not going to condemn someone to hell without first some evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 pepe02

It says in the article in the limerick leader “As cars drove up and down the road at a fast pace". How fast to people be driving in a housing estate? How do we know it wasnt the drivers fault??

• Advertisement

pepe02 wrote: »
    It says in the article in the limerick leader “As cars drove up and down the road at a fast pace". How fast to people be driving in a housing estate? How do we know it wasnt the drivers fault??

With speed bumps all around it :pac: and the green area is flat so you would see a dog running on the green towards a car.

and also the person who reported it saw cars driving up and down the road and people teasing the dog.. So they knew what they were trying to do but didnt stop it..

and finally of course there's conveniently a van in the pictures shown of the green :rolleyes:

With speed bumps all around it :pac: and the green area is flat so you would see a dog running on the green towards a car.
    I was there on Monday thinking the same thing about the ramps.

I'm not a student, my dad has a house out there. Some of the students aren't the most socially responsible and I wouldn't be surprised to hear this happening, but it's the details of the story that catch me. Drinking on the green doesn't happen frequently.

http://bocktherobber.com/2013/06/how-easy-it-is-to-set-up-a-lynch-mob/

Good read there.

its sums it up good..

The news paper article is a 2nd hand account from somebody who didn't witness what happened..The "brother in law" hasn´t come forward, neither has the dog owners or the driver of the van...

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Wilbert13

httpThe "brother in law" hasn´t come forward

He has complained the student scum to gardai according to today's paper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Wilbert13 wrote: »
    He has complained the scum to gardai according to today's paper

Fixed that for you. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Wilbert13 wrote: »
    He has complained the student scum to gardai according to today's paper

Link?

Jester252 wrote: »
    Link?

Front page of weekend Leader

Whos going paying this 3grand award if people come forward with the names?

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Fixed that for you. :P

Fair enough....whoever did it are scum, they just happen to be students

Whos going paying this 3grand award if people come forward with the names?

ARAN according to paper

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/leader-local/dog-s-cruel-death-3k-reward-as-gardai-are-called-in-1-5166784

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭canned_ulkc

UL's most recent update on FB:
    Update Regarding Possible UL Student Involvement in Reported Animal Cruelty Incident

The University of Limerick is unreservedly opposed to any form of animal cruelty and is fully committed to the implementation of the law relating to such despicable acts.

The University regrets the distress this reported incident has caused to many people who have been upset by what has been reported. The University community shares their concern that a dog could be mistreated in such a manner leading to its death.

The reported incident did not take place on the University campus. It occurred in a private housing estate that is not on University grounds.

The University was the first to report this matter to the Gardai (Irish police) and to request that this be investigated.

As yet there are no precise details of the incident, there is no verified proof of the identity of those involved and no confirmation that they are students of the University.

If it is established that students were involved they will be subject to a formal disciplinary process where the penalties include suspension and expulsion from the University.

The University has sought to contact the person who highlighted this issue and she has not yet responded to our request for information that may allow our investigations to be progressed.

The University is continuing to work closely with the Gardai and to encourage anyone with information to report the matter to the relevant authorities.

The University is working with the UL Students’ Union to identify any students who may have participated in this incident so that any possible student involvement can be reviewed under the Code of Conduct and any disciplinary action can be initiated.

The University will continue to investigate this matter until anyone involved is identified and appropriately sanctioned by the University and the Gardai.

The University unambiguously condemns any act of animal cruelty and will continue to do all in its power to prevent such acts.

The University regrets any negative impact that these allegations have had on the wider community as well as on our students, alumni and staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Just out of curiosity; Why does it seem to be taken as a given that the perpetrators were definitely students?

(At the same time, I am of the opinion that they most likely were students(if it happened at all), but until they are identified we can't know for certain what their background is so I'm a bit surprised that so many are taking it as 100% fact that these idiots are students.)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

jordainius wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity; Why does it seem to be taken as a given that the perpetrators were definitely students?

Because the woman who wrote the letter (which led to the article which fuelled the controversy) said so. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Because the woman who wrote the letter (which led to the article which fuelled the controversy) said so. ;)

Can't argue with that I suppose:P

I dunno, there's something more than a little bit a bit odd about all this, I'm doubting this incident actually happened at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

jordainius wrote: »
    Can't argue with that I suppose:P

I dunno, there's something more than a little bit a bit odd about all this, I'm doubting this incident actually happened at all.

have my doubts as well tbh...it all sounds very suspect...but on the other hand why would you make it up either? Unless maybe you had an issue with said students...dunno..tis all a bit strange.

vkid wrote: »
    have my doubts as well tbh...it all sounds very suspect...but on the other hand why would you make it up either? Unless maybe you had an issue with said students...dunno..tis all a bit strange.

If it is made up I would have no trouble believing it. Some of the local residents have a genuine hate for students. Its a minority but it is there

freyners wrote: »
    If it is made up I would have no trouble believing it. Some of the local residents have a genuine hate for students. Its a minority but it is there

But why do they hate student?

Jester252 wrote: »
    But why do they hate student?

I'm not saying its not without cause, a lot of students do little to endear themselves to the residents. But there is a difference between being frustrated and genuine hatred. If you cant stand living near students, why buy in a student area. Its like buying a house beside an airport and complain about planes flying overhead

freyners wrote: »
    I'm not saying its not without cause, a lot of students do little to endear themselves to the residents. But there is a difference between being frustrated and genuine hatred. If you cant stand living near students, why buy in a student area. Its like buying a house beside an airport and complain about planes flying overhead
    Maybe they didn't hate student when they moved in and now they can't afford to move. The hate they have from students is not that just started, there is a reason behind it. You can't say its their fault of living there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭canned_ulkc

hello all.
    Apparently the coward who started the FB petition doesn't like to be challenged with reason.
    Challenging their logic has resulted in me being banned from FB (and not just the page) for the next 12 hours.

In no way did I breach any FB policy but apparently FB side with someone when pointing out facts seems to associate you with the idea that animal cruelty is funny. FB have seen fit to do this, despite the content of the page, where libelous and violent statements have been made on this page behind which the page creator hides in order to make immature and cowardly accusations of their own.

I would encourage anyone who sees through the loose, unproven and libelous statements being made initially, in its title and as supplementary claims in the comments section to ask why it is that people have been banned due to difference of opinion.

I'm a massive believer in internet freedom. There are costs to that, but overall it's vital to maintaining something incredibly valuable. I hope you feel the same. In addition, my experience of UL before becoming a student there was massively positive. In my time there that view continued. I will forever look at my time as a student there as being life, attitude and intellect forming despite attending in later years than most.

I'll forever be proud of my conduct there. The majority, I hope, feel the same. As an alumni, I cannot stand to see such broad, sweeping allegations being leveled at an institution and an experience that has been so positive for me as I'm sure it has for most.

Tony Canning

P.S. please feel free to share this on any and every forum you feel is appropriate.

Advertisement