Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who stocks Nightforce

Options
  • 02-06-2013 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

None of dealers in my locality do.... who are the agents / retailers please, so I can shop around?

Specifically interested in a NSX 5.5-22x50 MLR and the price of same.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Robotack

.... oh, and is there any discernable difference between the 50 and 56mm obj on this scope?? I don't mean in terms of mounting height etc., I mean performance / light transmission?

They seem so similar I'm wondering why they even make 2x models that are so close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

Try Domnic Byrne, Enniscorthy, I saw some there a couple of weeks back, sound guy, will put you on the right tracks.

Try Domnic OConnor, I saw some there a couple of weeks back, sound guy, will put you on the right tracks.

Who / where is he?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Gowan & Bradshaw in Galway are the main stockists/agents for them. They don't (afaik) sell to the public, but will ship to a local dealer for you.

However most every dealer i know has them. Jim Griffin, Sean Harding, Jim McBride, etc. They might not have the exact model, but can get it.

As for price. The 5.5-22 retails around €1,500. Might be €50 more or less depending on dealer, but that;s the average price.

Lastly there is not much difference between the 50 and 56 mm. Not enough that most people would notice. It's really a matter of which you prefer, and which suits you best. But for light transmission, i'd be surprised if you could tell the difference.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

Robotack wrote: »
    Who / where is he?

Sorry Domnic Byrne, in Enniscorthy, quick google and you will find all his details.

• Advertisement

Sorry Domnic Byrne, in Enniscorthy, quick google and you will find all his details.

Ah Yeah I know him well. I actually never noticed any NF on his shelf. Then I wasn't looking either. Thanks.

Cass wrote: »
    Gowan & Bradshaw in Galway are the main stockists/agents for them. They don't (afaik) sell to the public, but will ship to a local dealer for you.

However most every dealer i know has them. Jim Griffin, Sean Harding, Jim McBride, etc. They might not have the exact model, but can get it.

As for price. The 5.5-22 retails around €1,500. Might be €50 more or less depending on dealer, but that;s the average price.

Lastly there is not much difference between the 50 and 56 mm. Not enough that most people would notice. It's really a matter of which you prefer, and which suits you best. But for light transmission, i'd be surprised if you could tell the difference.

The 50 vs 56mm seems to be one of the most asked NF related questions on the net. I assume there's some price difference but however small, what are the actual performance implications of one over the other?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

.... oh, and is there any discernable difference between the 50 and 56mm obj on this scope?? I don't mean in terms of mounting height etc., I mean performance / light transmission?

They seem so similar I'm wondering why they even make 2x models that are so close.

They sound close together, but remember the area of a circle is πr² so a small increase in the diameter results in quite a big change in the area of the lens.

50mm -> π × 25² = 1964mm² (approx)
    56mm -> π × 28² = 2463mm² (approx)

The 56mm lens is actually a little more than 25% bigger than the 50mm lens.

Whether the increase in light gathered/resolution is worth the extra money and weight is another story!

IRLConor wrote: »
    Whether the increase in light gathered/resolution is worth the extra money and weight is another story!

How does one quantify / answer this in real terms? ie shooting time after sunset for example

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

How does one quantify / answer this in real terms? ie shooting time after sunset for example

You can't, at least not easily.

You could try to work out a detailed simulation of how the optics would perform but that would be extremely tedious and you'd have to estimate a lot of the important factors.

It would be much easier to try and find people who own one of each and who were willing to let you try them side by side.

• Advertisement
Advertisement