Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bali Beach

• 02-06-2013 11:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

Travelling to Indonesia in July for three weeks. Spending a week on Java then moving on to Bali. I want to stay at a beach resort for 4/5 days then 3/4 days in Ubud.

Heard mixed reviews about Kuta, Sanur and south Kuta.

I'm looking for somewhere reasonably quiet with a nice beach, but not too far from shopping. Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

You won't like kuta it's just one long traffic jam, grand for a night out but packed with Aussies!!!! I'd stay in legian in the Bali pearl hotel or the kusnadi( my 1st choice if you can get in there always full) hotel, legian is only a few minutes taxi from kuta so your away from the madness but close enough to all the shopping, also your beside seminyak which is the up market area of the kuta strip which has good clubs(if you want).
    Legian has some good restaurants and bars, but kuta beach isn't the nicest beach wasn't to impressed!! Sanur ok but more families and older person place.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Kittywake

We stayed in Sanur, big let down - only there for two nights though. Kuta looked awful. We got a ferry over to Nusa Lembongan for a few nights and loved it. It's a little island just off mainland Bali. Not really many shops though! Great beaches- hire a scooter for a day to see it. Went to Ubud after and loved it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

You won't like kuta it's just one long traffic jam, grand for a night out but packed with Aussies!!!! I'd stay in legian in the Bali pearl hotel or the kusnadi( my 1st choice if you can get in there always full) hotel, legian is only a few minutes taxi from kuta so your away from the madness but close enough to all the shopping, also your beside seminyak which is the up market area of the kuta strip which has good clubs(if you want).
    Legian has some good restaurants and bars, but kuta beach isn't the nicest beach wasn't to impressed!! Sanur ok but more families and older person place.

Is Legian really that different to Kuta? From what I've read, they have almost merged into the one town. I don't want an Ibiza or Costa Del Sol experience. Just want a nice beach, slightly secluded, maybe private. Not too far from daytime shopping.

Did you go to South Kuta (south of the airport). I've read that it's quieter there.

Been thinking about Lombok beach as an alternative. Not sure if it's much better there and if the extra travel hassle would be worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

Kittywake wrote: »
    We stayed in Sanur, big let down - only there for two nights though. Kuta looked awful. We got a ferry over to Nusa Lembongan for a few nights and loved it. It's a little island just off mainland Bali. Not really many shops though! Great beaches- hire a scooter for a day to see it. Went to Ubud after and loved it there.

Checked out Nusa Lembongan too. Lonelyplanet doesn't say much about it.

Why did you prefer Nusa to Sanur? Better beaches? More backpackers than families? Better value and quality hotel?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Curlym0zzy

Hi There,

Also heading to Bali in July just for six days. (still no accommodation booked) Solo travelling so hoping to stay somewhere with a bit of life but this Kuta place sounds awful!!! Just want a nice sandy beach, that's not complete tumbleweed. Will prob want to do soem bike tours, watersports....Such a short trip I don't want to waste it looking for somewhere nice so any advice appreciated. :) Oh also, if anyone has travelled there before did they get vaccines? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Bali isn't the tropical island it once was, tourism is big business and always busy especially school holidays when it's over run with Aussies so try and book ahead for hotels/hostels, so youll be met with traffic jams constant badgering from the hawkers/taxi drivers and don't go near the road side money changers you'll be fleeced!!!
    Kuta beach isn't the cleanest, have swam in the sea and the amount of rubbish is disgraceful, your better of heading in land to ubud and maybe a few days at lovina beach in north Bali and just staying in kuta if you want to shop.
    You won't find the cheap quality places to stay like Thailand/vietnam the Balinese will try and soak as much €€ out of you.
    The only good thing is the food and beer is cheapish...... Would I go back again maybe but I'd head to Lombok which is quiter and has a nice beach in the south or head back to the gili island..... But not kuta!! Only ever took malaria pills while there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Please read up on methanol poisoning in Bali/Lombok. It is a big problem with little awareness. Spirits, cocktails and arak are the big offenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Flying out there tonight for a few days, planning to stay in Jimbaran, I actually own the hostel Ranked #1 of 49 Speciality lodging in Jimbaran on Tripadvisor. For me this area is ideal, by hiring a scooter you can tour the beaches of the south part of the island and yet be close enough to Kuta to go shopping, or if you are lazy you can visit the newly opened Irish Bar in Jimbaran, also owned by me :)
    You won't find the cheap quality places to stay like Thailand/vietnam the Balinese will try and soak as much €€ out of you.
    I believe that we do offer quality accommodation for a cheap price.

Enjoy the trip.

smurfjed

Advertisement