Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Round won't cycle

Options
  • 02-06-2013 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭

I have a .270 round that won't cycle with the bolt. The round will go into the chamber and bolt will go forward but when I push the bolt handle down it will stop about two thirds of the way down. I have fired about 300 rounds through the rifle. The round is one of 100 I bought it is Hornady SST Custom 130 gr. but only this one won't cycle. There does not appear to be any marks or imperfections on it. I have seen a lot of rounds fired in my life and have never seen this happen before anyone any ideas an what is wrong with it?:confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Is the bullet engraved with rifling marks when you take them back out of the chamber ? have you tried a different brand round.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Sounds like the case is badly formed so the shoulder is causing resistance when you try to rotate the bolt into battery. Could be a bulge in the neck but that'd be pretty noticeable. I've had rounds similar to that before but it was pretty noticeable. It's just a factory defect to be honest. I'd just give the round to a dealer for destruction and go on my merry way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

rowa wrote: »
    Is the bullet engraved with rifling marks when you take them back out of the chamber ? have you tried a different brand round.

There is a tiny almost microscopic mark on the war head. I have fired 80 rounds from this batch no problem it is just this 1 round that won't cycle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

As it wasn't me said , its a problem with the ammo , return to dealer and get your money back or swap for something different. Have you checked the makers website for recalls ?

I know it is the ammo is the problem and I know it is only 1 round it is just that I never came across this problem before, as I said the round looks the very same as the other 99 in the batch with no marks or bulges. And yes I will dispose of it safely.

Thanks anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

If it's a dimensions issue around the shoulder it might not even be visible. The tolerances in terms of headspacing on a good bolt action are tight enough that it wouldn't need to be in order to cause a failure.

If it's a dimensions issue around the shoulder it might not even be visible. The tolerances in terms of headspacing on a good bolt action are tight enough that it wouldn't need to be in order to cause a failure.

It is an off the shelf Remmy 700 SPS. The only modification I did to it was to put in a new trigger

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Tommy87

Exact same thing happened me lately, with a .22-250 round. Just 1 round out of 60 Winchester rounds I bought. It's a Remington 700 sps too. Although the bolt will go all the way down but with a lot more force. I've never seen it before either.

Tommy87 wrote: »
    Exact same thing happened me lately, with a .22-250 round. Just 1 round out of 60 Winchester rounds I bought. It's a Remington 700 sps too. Although the bolt will go all the way down but with a lot more force. I've never seen it before either.

I didn't try to force it too much

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

It is an off the shelf Remmy 700 SPS.
    Exact same thing happened with the Father's Remmy 308. Same ammo he has been using all along, and this one round would not chamber.

I took the bolt out, got a cloth, and gave the chamber a good cleaning. I also cleaned the face of the bolt. When i had this done i tried the round, and it cycled perfectly. Just a very, very thin film of carbon was the problem.

I use a shotgun mop or a piece of stick i have shaped to fit the chamber with a cloth on it to clean the chamber.

It'd be a freak if the casing was the problem. An incorrectly necked casing would not cycle. If you want to check you can get a calipers, and check the neck diameter of the casing (outside). It should not be more than 0.346 of an inch. If you know anyone with a shoulder bump gauge they can check the case for you in that regard. Case length should be 2.005 or thereabouts, but i cannot remember of the top of my head what it should be to the datum line. Will try and see if i can find the measurement.

Lastly whatever happens DO NOT try and force the bolt down. Most primers are slightly "sunk" in the primer pocket, but a hard enough force of the bolt could strike the primer, and cause an out of battery firing.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

I haven't got the gauges or access to them but it is only 1 round so I will just dispose of it properly and pretend that it did not happen, until and if it happens again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

I had this problem with 1 round of Federal in my Howa .22-250. When I lined the round up alongside some others, I could actually see that the shoulder was different. Never had this problem other than that one time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I haven't got the gauges or access to them but it is only 1 round so I will just dispose of it properly and pretend that it did not happen, until and if it happens again.
    My apologies for the above measurements. I'm used to doing .308, and gave you the numbers for it. As your query is about a .270 the numbers will not be the same so disregard them.

My post above about the thin film of carbon is not just down to the fouling, but an imperfection in the casing. However the coupling of the case imperfection with increased fouling caused the round not to cycle. The other rounds that had no imperfections cycled regardless of the fouling so it shows how tight the tolerances can be.

You done the right thing, and just disposed of the round. Chalk it up to a once off, and move on however i would suggest a regular cleaning (which i'm sure you probably do already) of the chamber.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement