Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pike Bait

Options
  • 02-06-2013 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

Was wondering what is good for pike that i can catch.I would also buy but what and where Laois/Kilkenny area...trout is not allowed in competitions so thats out of the question.Can go coarse fishing to get them in the canal...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

i don't think its legal to catch your own bait for pike, but any tackle shop should sort you out for about a fiver or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

dvae wrote: »
    i don't think its legal to catch your own bait for pike, but any tackle shop should sort you out for about a fiver or so.

Someplace don't like you taking fish for bait but i think the canal is ok... 50/50 that i think of it now...

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jkchambers

1shot16 wrote: »
    Someplace don't like you taking fish for bait but i think the canal is ok... 50/50 that i think of it now...

Canals are controlled by Waterways Ireland who have catch and release only rules.
    http://www.waterwaysireland.org/Pages/Angling/angling-on-the-grand-canal.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

please don't fish for the sake of catching something to help you land pike. Buy deadbaits from a tackle shop, next thing you'll be telling us that it's ok to fish with live bait.

breghall wrote: »
    please don't fish for the sake of catching something to help you land pike. Buy deadbaits from a tackle shop, next thing you'll be telling us that it's ok to fish with live bait.

Sure it is ;) just not in ireland :( I just know someone who did it so i thought it was ok apparently its not thanks for the heads up... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

dvae wrote: »

In fairness a 5er for 3 rotten squishy roach is a joke
    They fall apart as soon as they touch the water
    I think 2-3 roach limit should be allowed to be kept as bait
    There's enough of them in lakes and canals and some rivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

You are allowed to have 4 coarse baits up to 25cm

4 per person hmmm bring a few of the lads out :D good days fishing and bait :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

You can. And a further 8 with receipts, so a total of 12 deadbaits.

OP, Take a look at flyfishing for Pike. It's catching on big time!

Bizzum wrote: »
    You can. And a further 8 with receipts, so a total of 12 deadbaits.

OP, Take a look at flyfishing for Pike. It's catching on big time!

Rather spin tbh..not enough for another rod.only 16 so i might learn how to fly fish in a few years :)

What types of fish do u recommend for pike and around what size

• Advertisement

Rather spin tbh..not enough for another rod.only 16 so i might learn how to fly fish in a few years :)

What types of fish do u recommend for pike and around what size

Trout is a really good bait for pike. Of course there's mackerel and smelt but I always find fresh water bait is best for pike and can can either leave on bottom and have em popped up from bottom , float them and of course spin them
    Can't really spin mackerel

Trout is a really good bait for pike. Of course there's mackerel and smelt but I always find fresh water bait is best for pike and can can either leave on bottom and have em popped up from bottom , float them and of course spin them
    Can't really spin mackerel

Ye trouts too good thats why we cant use em in competitions :mad:

Would u say perch,roach, any of them any good? :)

Could u send us a link to some one who sells some good pop ups if you can on ebay. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Ye trouts too good thats why we cant use em in competitions :mad:

thats a strange rule

I was also told at a pike comp on the suck 3 year ago that they were not allowed to be used on comp day
    All other methods legal and of course the only bait I had with me that day was trout!!
    Wasn't happy
    Anyway for pop ups just use a foam stick
    I always use foam especially during the summer when the weed is really thick
    Makes te bait stand out a lot more
    Give roach and perch a shot anyway and pop them from Bottom and you should hit something

I was also told at a pike comp on the suck 3 year ago that they were not allowed to be used on comp day
    All other methods legal and of course the only bait I had with me that day was trout!!Wasn't happy

Ye i get alot of small trout during competitions and let em back too bad i cant use em oz i get a lot :P
    Anyway for pop ups just use a foam stick
    I always use foam especially during the summer when the weed is really thick
    Makes te bait stand out a lot more
    Give roach and perch a shot anyway and pop them from Bottom and you should hit something

Ye i see a 2m foam that u cut to size only a fiver!Pop up float are a tenner for 4 or 5 id say u get alot more from the foam!

Foam I find is better because it can't be seen. Just goes straight down the bait mouth to its stomach
    The pop ups are orange balls and to me can be a bit obvious to a pike and could be the difference in catching

:rolleyes:i heard the orange tips on the pop ups attract them...how would people know anyway :rolleyes:

Foam I find is better because it can't be seen. Just goes straight down the bait mouth to its stomach
    The pop ups are orange balls and to me can be a bit obvious to a pike and could be the difference in catching

I used to stuff pipe insulation into the dead bait when I was a teenager, as its so cheap. However, this can be dangerous, if you crack off the deadbait on the cast, you leave a deadbait in the water full of material a pike may not be able to digest. When I use the pop up balls, I attach them to the trace, not to the actual deadbait, so if I do crack off on a long cast, there is no danger to the pike.
    :rolleyes:i heard the orange tips on the pop ups attract them...how would people know anyway :rolleyes:

I dont think the pike seeing the red/orange balls makes any difference, I didnt notice any difference in my catch rates when I made the change over. Those balls can be expensive though, a cheap alternative is the balls inside a can of guinness ;)

Just thought of it there now how about minnow?Theres also a fish called sprats that a lad use on youtube he is landing pike every few casts!

Just thought of it there now how about minnow?Theres also a fish called sprats that a lad use on youtube he is landing pike every few casts!

minnows are too small for pike baits. Sprats are a good bait, similar to herring.

• Advertisement

http://www.anglersworld.ie/product.asp?strPageHistory=category&numSearchStartRecord=0&strParents=27%2C125&CAT_ID=125&P_ID=173&btnProduct=More+Details

20 sprats for 4 euro and 5 shipping think i might go for it and a few other bits theres a pike variety pack as well with smelt, roach, mackerel, sprats, perch, herring, red herring, pollan.!

All i need is a mini freezer to keep em in.The ones in argos are 100 euro does any1 know where i could get a 2nd hand 1 for 20/30e

anglers world have great dead baits, not the ones in the gold/silver packaging which are average at best. I got a lot of bait in their shop in mullingar last winter, i was very impressed with it. Great selection too

I was using minnow today and finished the day with 4 wild brownys, 5 perch and 1 jacker( caught on mepps) in space of 2 hours and only stopped because I ran out of minnow
    I coasted into real shallow pool ands now hit the water and a pike lept at it but I pulle it out of his mouth
    Was kicking meself
    Back tomoro to try again

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

I was using minnow today and finished the day with 4 wild brownys, 5 perch and 1 jacker( caught on mepps) in space of 2 hours and only stopped because I ran out of minnow
    I coasted into real shallow pool ands now hit the water and a pike lept at it but I pulle it out of his mouth
    Was kicking meself
    Back tomoro to try again

Where abouts were ya dodder??

Up in manor Kilbride
    The weather is just too bright but some of the deep pools are covered by the shade so its nice to fish
    Had shoals of roach follow the spinner aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

breghall wrote: »

I was out fishing in North Kildare yesterday and the amount of people using live bait was scandalous. Lad catching small roach and putting them straight out as live bait.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

COYW wrote: »
    I was out fishing in North Kildare yesterday and the amount of people using live bait was scandalous. Lad catching small roach and putting them straight out as live bait.

As much as some give out about the IFI, i still think when instances like this arise, it's always better to do something and the very least is to make a call to the IFI 1890 34 74 24 (1890 fish 24).

Scandalous carry on !!

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

there is a size limit on all waters for trout is there not?where i fish its 14inches so why would you be allowed to use them for deadbait, surely anything over 12 or 14 inches is too big for a deadbait!!!

bayliner wrote: »
    there is a size limit on all waters for trout is there not?where i fish its 14inches so why would you be allowed to use them for deadbait, surely anything over 12 or 14 inches is too big for a deadbait!!!

If i got A 14 inch trout I certainly wouldn't use him for dead or live bait . Be on the pan :)
    My understanding on The situation on using live bait is to stop people catchin the likes of roach and perch and bringing them off alive to another river where there is no roach or course fish.
    Eg a lad using live roach and his mate the same and catch nothing so they reel in and release the roach alive and let's say they are male and female and then breed in waters that have no course fish in it
    Few months later hundreds of roach about on a river they aren't welcome

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Trout small enough for bait are supposed to be released by the rules of all clubs controlling waters.

Live bait is being banned from a cruelty aspect as much as anything.

Advertisement