Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aspiring's LC 2014 Study Log

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Aspiring wrote: »
    Taking a little break, will have an evening update later, stay tuned ;)
    An evening update :eek: I haven't worked past 8 for days :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

An evening update :eek: I haven't worked past 8 for days :pac:

Yes. I'm doing to give this thread a schedule like RTE news, once at 1 in the afternoon, then at 6 pm, then at 9, then finally at 11 ;)

Ah but on a serious note some people just study better throughout the daytime. I study best in the evening so that's why I do it, you could be the complete opposite! :)

Evening update : (as promised ;))

Well, I didn't end up doing that much. I went for a run actually really cleared my head :) Went through the physics papers answering questions in my head then checking anything online that I needed to. Thankfully there wasn't much to check! Physics should be grand, can answer 2 more questions than I'll need to, just have to hope nothing comes up in said questions that I don't know :P Think I'll put away the physics for a while now.

I have last years mock for each of my choice subjects so I'll have them to do over the course of the LC as practice.

Unfortunately didn't do much today. Was nice to have a rest day though, feel quite refreshed now. Did do a bit of research for physics tho. Mainly on nuclear/particle physics type stuff. Have a feeling tomorrow will be quite a hectic day. First goal: get up early :D

Studied English for most of the day then decided to do some maths for a change of scenery.

Did last years maths examcraft mock P1. Was gong perfectly up until the long questions. Messed up on a financial maths q and forgot what asymptotes were. Still got a B3 which I'd be delighted with. That paper was riddled with mistakes tho.

Going back to doing some comparative now.

700th post.

Well, this is it (almost).

Just did an aul' comprehension to get the brain into that mode. It was formulaic as fúck, but still good.
    A bit worried about the Question B tomorrow, hoping something normal like a letter, talk or article comes up. Nothing strange like a book introduction hopefully.
    Should be interesting to see the theme of the paper and the composing titles, I'd be hoping to do a personal essay but if not I'll do either the speech, article or descriptive essay.

Looking forward to it overall :)

English paper 1 went really well to be honest. The comprehension was grand (text 1), the question B was broad and doable (text 2 I think, the talk). The composing was soooo nice there was 4 questions I could have done a decent job on. Decided to go with the personal essay about the strange and interesting people I've met and their impact on me. Was super predictable but I churned out a decent piece of writing. Feel I managed a strong B grade at least which I'm delighted with!

And now to tackle the monster that is P2. Ready for comparative, just need to study Heaney and Bishop, then a bit of Macbeth and I'm good to go :)

Ready for comparative, ready for poetry, almost ready for Macbeth. Lots of time to study in the morning :D

Macbeth was different to anything I had seen. It was like a vague character question. Just linked in Macbeth's relationship with Lady Macbeth, Banquo, Macduff and the witches and kept referring back to the title. Quite happy with it tbh.

The comparative (cultural context) part a looked a bit nasty, so I did the split one. I was worried it was going to take up too much time as it's usually about 2 pages longer. Got it done in the time thankfully. Happy enough there too.

The unseen was a lovely poem. Just took it and interpreted it at face value. Got a few decent points in over two pages ( did the 2 part thing). Fairly happy with that.

And now the poetry, oh the poetry. I had to answer Plath. I was going to go for Dickinson but I thought no, I prefer Plath and I'll give the examiner something different :pac: I answered fairly well, but it was hard to find love in some poems like Poppies in July so I just used the art of bullshít to make something plausible up. So happy she came up. Could've answered it a bit better I think but it was still decent.

Overall, fairly happy. No more quotes, ever :p possibly the most difficult exam out of the way :)

• Advertisement

Just did a few maths questions there this evening, hard to know what to practice. I'll learn off the stuff I need to tomorrow. Fairly confident on P1, should go well :)

Maths P1 wasn't too bad at all. Did well in the long questions, somewhere I usually do badly. All my focusing on logs paid off :pac:. Didn't do as well in some other questions as I would've liked to. Attempted everything tho, so hopefully will get a decent amount of marks :)

Haven't decided what to study tonight yet, was gonna take a break for this evening but can't really, hugely important week next week :)

The study timetable is ready, it's mostly Irish and Maths, with a bit of French and a good bit of Business. Scared shítless I'll forget everything I know for business, it's the one subject I'd love to get an A1 in :pac:

Here's the timetable:
    2uqcdbt.jpg

Starting now, which is actually a bit early but more time to study so.. wooo... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

The study timetable is ready, it's mostly Irish and Maths, with a bit of French and a good bit of Business. Scared shítless I'll forget everything I know for business, it's the one subject I'd love to get an A1 in :pac:

Here's the timetable:
    2uqcdbt.jpg

Starting now, which is actually a bit early but more time to study so.. wooo... ;)

You're so organized...
    I'm just going for it and doing whatever I'm in the mood for :pac:
    I've the day before business off for cramming than god :o
    Going to focus mainly on Maths paper two and Irish, and a little of biology this weekend :p

aleatorio wrote: »
    You're so organized...
    I'm just going for it and doing whatever I'm in the mood for :pac:
    I've the day before business off for cramming than god :o
    Going to focus mainly on Maths paper two and Irish, and a little of biology this weekend :p

I'm actually the most unorganised person ever :pac: I just kinda have to make this or I'd be sitting around doing nothing :o

Yeah I wish I had the day off before business, would've made it a lot easier :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

I'm actually the most unorganised person ever :pac: I just kinda have to make this or I'd be sitting around doing nothing :o

Yeah I wish I had the day off before business, would've made it a lot easier :)

I just make checklists of things to do, if I make schedules I get too overwhelmed :pac:

• Advertisement

aleatorio wrote: »
    I just make checklists of things to do, if I make schedules I get too overwhelmed :pac:

This is the first time I've made a schedule and have actually followed it, desperate times I suppose :D

Productive evening :pac:

Maths: Q1-7 2014 Sample P2
    Irish: Revised and learned the vocab for the environment and sport.
    Irish: Sample 4 listening.
    Business: Did about 20 short questions cos I had about 20 mins to spare :pac:

Wrecked :o

Not quite as productive a day so far as I would have liked :pac: :
    -Learned + Practiced the trig proofs or whatever they are called.
    -Did Examcraft 2013 Business short q's, only lost 2 marks out of 80, I blame the marking scheme :pac:
    -Learned the theory for statistics and probability (only the basic stuff so far)
    -Fully completed the 2013 Maths P2. Was a nice paper apart from the statistics shíte (definitions and whatnot)

Still a loooong way to go this evening :rolleyes:

Didn't follow the schedule this evening :pac:

-Learned off the 3 theorems fully
    -Started the French thread, good to see many people using it, and I got a chance to wipe the dust off my French. Just wanna make sure I don't fail :D

Tomorrow should be a reaaaally busy day.
    Hope to get 2 full maths papers done, 2 full listening exams for Irish and an aiste (or two).
    Need to get the vocab down for Irish and the grammar. So it should be pretty much according to schedule.
    Might just follow the schedule exactly actually, sure I'll wait and see :)

-Spent up until 3 PM learning theory for Maths P2.
    -Did 2013 Examcraft P2 mock. Got 78% which I'm pretty happy with. It was a strange paper but I'd expect something more difficult tomorrow. Seemed to be a few mistakes in the marking scheme also, but can't be sure.

Time for Irish now :pac:

• Advertisement

Well today was grand. Maths P2 couldn't have been much nicer really, happy with that. Irish was grand, could actually come out with a decent mark and end up counting it :rolleyes:

This evening's schedule:
    6:00-6:30: An Gnáthrud
    6:30-7:00: Cáca Milis
    7:00-7:30: Dís
    7:30-8:00: Colscaradh
    8:00-8:30: An Spailpín Fánach
    8:30-9:00: Géibheann
    9:00-9:45: 40 mark question thingy
    10:00-11:00: Review notes for all.

The price I have to pay for not studying Irish ever :pac:

Well I thought I'd never say this but... HL Irish paper two went well. For the first time in my life I answered the Q6 (b)'s on the comprehensions :pac: Was also the first time ever I understood everything on the paper :o Answered on Dís as well as I could, got a good few points in for the answers. Spáilpín came up, the one poem I like :pac:, wrote something decent here for each of the asnwers too. Then the last section whatever it's called was grand too, churned out two pages of on topic answers, albeit in poor Irish, but still :pac:

Really happy with Irish overall, could end up counting it in August you never know :rolleyes:

Now to prepare for the rest of the week :pac:

Today's schedule:

French:
    From 2-3: verbs verbs verbs
    From 3-4/5 (However long it takes to learn :pac:) Topics, including racism, gay marriage, other topical topics I've yet to look up :pac:

Business:
    From 4/5-7: Unit 7, really confident with everything surrounding Europe, just need to revise a bit on the things outside EU.
    From 7-8: Unit 6, possibly my weakest unit, used to know it so well but I got lazy :pac: Need to know the trends for each industry better and the types of business and the features of each. Ltd I know well but outside that it's a bit hazy.
    From 8-9: Market research, product life cycle, new product development, global marketing, influences when chosing price, different pricing strategies.
    9-10: HRM. Don't really know why I never learned this.. it's just one area I never really went near. Probably won't need it for my LQ's but could be useful for my SQ's. Also Change management.
    10-10:30: Revise units 1,2,3 for the ABQ, reaaaaaaaly confident about them but I'm worried something weird will come up and I'll blank in the exam :pac:

Then I'll probably just revise whatever french I did earlier. If I can get all of this done then it'll leave me in a really good position for studying business tomorrow evening :D

1000 posts wowww :pac:

Really feel prepared for tomorrow, not looking forward to the cramped up hands, expecting to do 25+ pages :D

Just revising the last few things then should be well covered :)

Perfect questions tomorrow:
    -ABQ on enterprising skills/characteristics,Conflict resolution legislative/non legislative, Benefits/types/activities/skills of planning
    -Q3 on mostly Europe (acts, institutions)
    -Q5 on Delegation, Maslow/McGregor, Control
    -Q1 on the usual type of stuff
    -Q7 on Break-even, Product life cycle, stages of development of new product

Well business was grand, no idea how I've got one really but fairly happy with it :)

Feels weird having business over, most of the work I've done over the two years was business :pac:
    Only the nice subjects left now..
    And App. Maths of course :o

Did a good bit of study today as you'd imagine, accounting and physics tomorrow.

Just did a physics mock from a few years back, got 88%, the experiments let me down in the end, need to study them well before tomorrow.
    Did a good few accounting questions, just the ones I wasn't too sure on such as cash flow, incomplete and tabular.

Should be a looooong day tomorrow, hopefully a successful one also :D

Physics was grand, some unexpected things but nothing too strange.
    Didn't do as well as I'd have liked in accounting. Didn't study it enough since finishing school, and that's what it came down to really. Still, went fairly well and hopefully will come out of it with a high B.

Just over 3 days to work on applied maths. Might as well make a good go at it!

The plan: 1993-2013 i.e. 21 years of questions.

My questions are 1,2,3,4,5,10.

The reality is that I'm not going to be able to get all 6 questions on all of the papers done. That would be 126 questions which I'm fairly sure is not possible. So I'm going to focus on my weaker questions 3,4,5 and 10. Which leaves my 84 exam questions to do. I'm not sure if I'll get through all 84, but if I do then I'll revise questions 1 and 2 as much as I can.

Doubt I'll be on this over the next few days, Applied Maths ó dhubh go dubh :o

Well I've got 5 years down now, 93-97. Really getting good at questions 3,4 and 5 :D question 10 is still a bit iffy, can manage the first part grand but then it's the part b that gets me :rolleyes:. Think I could get more than 10 or more done tomorrow, as today wasn't particularly productive, only really about 5 hours of pure work.

This applied maths isn't quite as hard as your brain lets you think, it all makes sense once you get the hang of them :rolleyes:

My cramming definitely helped immensely. Found the paper grand, won't be getting an A or anything but it went better than any other applied maths paper I've ever done.

So happy to be finished! :D finally time to go out, it's been a while :)

Probably my last post here until August, hopefully it'll be good news :) thanks all for staying tuned to the study log :P

5 above the target, got 540, delighted :D

Will post each subject later :)

• Advertisement

Irish: B3
    English: A1
    Maths: B2
    French: C2
    Applied Maths: B3
    Physics: A2
    Accounting: B2
    Business: A2

:)

An A1 in English is incredible Aspiring! Well done, you deserved to do well :D

An A1 in English is incredible Aspiring! Well done, you deserved to do well :D

It was the one result I was really, really hoping for :)

Hope you did well too and get what you want and deserve :D

It was the one result I was really, really hoping for :)

Hope you did well too and get what you want and deserve :D

I did far better than I deserve! Wish I could donate some of my points :pac:

Only two people in my year got A1s in English (out of over 100), so you really did well for yourself - my school got very good results otherwise (plenty of A1s in Maths, Chemistry and Physics), but English is something that's rather innate :)

Don't let your flair for it go to waste!

I did far better than I deserve! Wish I could donate some of my points :pac:

Only two people in my year got A1s in English (out of over 100), so you really did well for yourself - my school got very good results otherwise (plenty of A1s in Maths, Chemistry and Physics), but English is something that's rather innate :)

Don't let your flair for it go to waste!

Think 2 or 3 in our year got the A1 in English. Didn't hear of anybody getting an A1 in maths tho!

I think the flair will have to be put on hold as I hope to do computer science :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

You could pen a novel at the same time Aspiring:)

You could pen a novel at the same time Aspiring:)

True, I'll start working on it now ;)

Advertisement