Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summary of what to learn for the English Ordinary Level Exam

Options
  • 02-06-2013 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭

People doing Higher Level English seem to have plenty of notes, so I decided I'd help out people doing Ordinary Level for the Exam, I'll try and make this short but sweat but get you ready for the exam.

Poetry

You are required to know a poem as its a guranteed question in your exam, usually a Q E regarding a poem you have studied, I'd learn at least 2-3, but learn more if you can, the questions are usually general, but try to learn different types of Poems, I will give you some recommendations for Poems

Digging by Seamus Heaney
    Mid-Term Break by Seamus Heaney
    Truant by Phoebe Hesketh

I'm sure you can find those poems somewhere. Poetry is usually Q3 or Q4, last year it was Q4.

Section 1 Reading

This is always a comprehension with some text, you're required to answer questions regarding some text and usually you're required to give definitions of some words in the text, for example last year you were asked to explain

Eavesdropping
    Hat-trick
    Death-defying acts
    Genteel pursuits

You were asked to explain two of them, that covers Section 1.

Section 2 Personal Writing

This is my favorite part of the exam, you just show off to the examiner! You usually have 7-8 different topics and you have to write a composition on one of the following, this is where your spelling and grammar will come into practice, but also try to use a wide-range of words and show off your vocabulary.

Section 3 Functional Writing

You have two topics always and the two different topics could be any of the following

- Writing a letter to the Editor
    - Preparing a Debate
    - Applying for a job
    - Writing to a pen pal

There is so many more and you need to be able to distinguish between a formal and informal letter.

Section 5,6 and 7 can change every year alongside the other questions, you have the option of doing two of these, but you MUST do 1,2,3,4

Fiction

This section usually consists of a Fictional Story and you will also be asked to write about Novel/Short Story you have studied, you would have covered a novel during your Junior Certificate course. Q E is the question asking about the short story/novel you have studied, the rest of the questions are based on the fictional story given, you should gain marks on this section, just know your novel off!

Section 6 - Play

This is usually a play and you will get some questions on the play and you are required to answer them, Q E is regarding the play or film you have studied so you just know it off!

Section 7 - Media Studies

You usually have a choice to do this section, but sometimes with this section it can be easy, sometimes it can be hard, you will usually be given a poster or you will be asked to compare two posters, and you will get questions on them, occasionally you also can be asked to design a poster so this is why might drag you away from doing this section. Goodluck if you decide to do it.

I hope my summary was good, give feedback if you want me to improve on anything etc and the very best of the luck with your Junior Cert I'm looking forward to seeing what results you get after all the hard work.

Advertisement