Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some people make me sick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Jester252 wrote: »
    Sigh I am ashamed that people like them could make it into a UL. After years of eduction they still don't have any sort of cop on and are just kids in adult bodies. It show how bad eduction in this country is that these people don't know basic human interaction.

Okay but it does not answerIt that salient point that you used then tried to say you did not say it and then tried to cover it up with an excuse how is it UL fault they were allowed in. Was it UL fault they were allowed in yes or no.

How does education help with basic human interaction. Scumbags are just scumbags and again a point made numerous times we are not sure if it is UL students.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Sigh I am ashamed that people like them could make it into a UL. After years of eduction they still don't have any sort of cop on and are just kids in adult bodies. It show how bad eduction in this country is that these people don't know basic human interaction.

You do actually realise what alcohol does to people?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Someone on facebook is saying that the Gardaí still haven't got a complaint/report of an incident.

This is all getting very strange indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Okay but it does not answerIt that salient point that you used then tried to say you did not say it and then tried to cover it up with an excuse how is it UL fault they were allowed in. Was it UL fault they were allowed in yes or no.

How does education help with basic human interaction. Scumbags are just scumbags and again a point made numerous times we are not sure if it is UL students.
    Their fools who drank to much. If we taught people better maybe they would have some sense regarding drinking. It a shame that these fool can make it to a 3rd level education and not have any bit sense.

Their fools who drank to much. If we taught people better maybe they would have some sense regarding drinking. It a shame that these fool can make it to a 3rd level education and not have any bit sense.

I am not going for the excuse they killed a dog because they were drunk. That is a cop out. I know plenty of people who have got wasted myself included and never thought once hey know what be fun lets try and kill a dog. So no do not blame drink for that. It can be blamed for a lot of things. These people (who may have been students) are scumbags plain and simple

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭ProfanityURL

Someone on facebook is saying that the Gardaí still haven't got a complaint/report of an incident.

This is all getting very strange indeed.

This could all turn out to be complete rubbish, I certainly know of one college court resident who wouldn't be below fabricating a story to bring UL students into disrepute. If it does a lot of angry people are going to look very silly indeed.

I am not going for the excuse they killed a dog because they were drunk. That is a cop out. I know plenty of people who have got wasted myself included and never thought once hey know what be fun lets try and kill a dog. So no do not blame drink for that. It can be blamed for a lot of things. These people (who may have been students) are scumbags plain and simple

But drink was a factor. Don't try a defend that. Its never a cop out. If the person was more mature instead of a kid then the incident might not of happened.
    I this whole story is a lie it reflects worse on students of UL that a person would require to tell this lie in order to try and get help with the student "problem"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 beerfart

Its all shenanigans, I hope they catch the person who sent in the fake letter.
    The story has so many flaws its not even funny, no complaint was ever made to the Guards by anyone who witnessed what happened.
    Students finished their exams two weeks ago, not that it matters if there were doctors, bin-men,students if the lies were true.

Do people believe everything they read in the paper? Come on like. The disgruntled neightbour also said there was tire marks on the ground from the students trying to tip over his car. I used to live in the area, its all bull. It was also an anonymous letter

This could all turn out to be complete rubbish, I certainly know of one college court resident who wouldn't be below fabricating a story to bring UL students into disrepute. If it does a lot of angry people are going to look very silly indeed.

If the letter is a complete fabrication, do UL have a case for libel? There could also be the issue of wasting police time?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

If the letter is a complete fabrication, do UL have a case for libel? There could also be the issue of wasting police time?

The person who "saw it" didnt report it to the guards so he wasnt wasting their time..

probably why it wasnt reported :pac:

• Advertisement

garv123 wrote: »
    The person who "saw it" didnt report it to the guards so he wasnt wasting their time..

probably why it wasnt reported :pac:

Sorry, of course.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

Why are people so certain it was UL Students? Until the full facts of this event are accounted for, it would be foolish to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

garv123 wrote: »
    How do you suggest colleges now check for maturity levels? sit people down and say "boobies" and see if they giggle?

:D

Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

The reaction to UL in regards to this is borderline ridiculous. Firstly, the story isn't even proven - it was a letter sent into the Limerick Leader, which was reported with an abundance of bias - there's nothing in that article that conclusively identified them as students, yet the headline clearly states it was UL students, with their asses covered by 'DRUNK UL students lured a dog to its death in a sick game, says a local resident'.

It's one persons letter, a totally one sided one - people may say the lack of a response is damning enough, but without proof or a garda investigation to prove otherwise, wouldn't it be fairer to believe the incident never happened? Innocent until proven guilty, perhaps?

What do people expect UL to do? It's not a UL issue as it appears to have happened outside of UL property, outside of the UL semester, which ended on May 20th or so. It's like blaming a persons employer for what a person does outside of work. This is not an issue for UL to deal with, nor is it a media problem to solve, it's a criminal matter. The person who sent in the letter should have contacted the Gardai there and then, and, assuming it happened as in the letter, the proper authorities would have had a better chance of catching the scum.

To be honest, I think ULs reaction, if they are seeing the same picture we are (ie unconfirmed reports from one person), is perfect as it is. It's a Garda issue, and UL will respond in light of actual confirmed facts, not mob mentality. To be honest, being ashamed of going to UL because of it, or thinking it will tarnish the colleges reputation is pretty stupid thinking. If you were to judge the majority based on a minority, we'd all be behind bars.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's another triumph of bad parenting.

I don't care how much you've drunk, if you have been brought up with an ounce of respect for yourself, or other people, or other people's property or other living things, you would not do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

spurious wrote: »
    It's another triumph of bad parenting.

Oof, you haven't a shread of proof for this one either. I hate this cop out, it's worse than drinking in my opinion. I know plenty of parents who try their very best but there is only so much a parent can do. Yeah, sometimes it is bad parenting but you can't state that unless you know it for fact.

But drink was a factor. Don't try a defend that. Its never a cop out. If the person was more mature instead of a kid then the incident might not of happened.
    I this whole story is a lie it reflects worse on students of UL that a person would require to tell this lie in order to try and get help with the student "problem"

I do not buy that as an excuse the drink did not make them do it. I have been drunk a number of time I know people who have been too and never once did we think you know what lets kill an animal.

I agree with you the story seems suspicious now but I do not agree that the student problem is such a big problem as people are making it out. There are a few bad apples and everything should be done to prove its the exception but there is also people who don't like students period and want to paint them as much as possible in a bad light and if this is a way to try that then it is a new low and they should be named and shamed

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭seen2Bgreen

I hope they're not UL students, then everyone who alleged that they were will look like idiots.

I do not buy that as an excuse the drink did not make them do it. I have been drunk a number of time I know people who have been too and never once did we think you know what lets kill an animal.

I agree with you the story seems suspicious now but I do not agree that the student problem is such a big problem as people are making it out. There are a few bad apples and everything should be done to prove its the exception but there is also people who don't like students period and want to paint them as much as possible in a bad light and if this is a way to try that then it is a new low and they should be named and shamed
    But according to the letter drink was involved and it can't be ingorned.
    However if the the letter is fake questions still have to be asked. Why would someone do this? You can't just say that they hate student.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

Drink is not the reason this happened; drink is the excuse someone wants to use. I still believe the driver should have been going much slower and should have seen what was happening.
    But according to the letter drink was involved and it can't be ingorned.
    However if the the letter is fake questions still have to be asked. Why would someone do this? You can't just say that they hate student.

Maybe it's a conspiracy by the residents of elm park (can't find that facebook group anymore!) to get rid of students.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭ProfanityURL

I would assume they do, does anyone know if UL have contacted anyone from the newspaper or tried to get in contact with the writer of the letter? It seems very odd that nothing was reported to the Gardai.

Surely whoever was driving the van would have reported it no?

I, like many people, am calling bull**** on this whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

http://bocktherobber.com/2013/06/how-easy-it-is-to-set-up-a-lynch-mob/

Good read there.

its sums it up good..

The news paper article is a 2nd hand account from somebody who didn't witness what happened..The "brother in law" hasn´t come forward, neither has the dog owners or the driver of the van...

i bet the person who went to the papers doesn't even have a brother in law :D

reunion wrote: »
    Drink is not the reason this happened; drink is the excuse someone wants to use. I still believe the driver should have been going much slower and should have seen what was happening.

Maybe it's a conspiracy by the residents of elm park (can't find that facebook group anymore!) to get rid of students.

But why do they what to get rid of students. Going by comments here all student are good little boy and girls that spend all their time studying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

But why do they what to get rid of students. Going by comments here all student are good little boy and girls that spend all their time studying.

some residents have been pissed off since the housing around them has been bought up by the various landlords and leased out to students.

one of the resident near me when i lived in college court put in repeated complaints to the guards about constant house parties, rubbish on our drive way, etc when we never held a house party of any sort in the house and the only time there was rubbish on our driveway was after high winds

not saying students are innocent by any means but some residents do have a vendetta against students.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

e3000 reward available now

A leader journalist say they have an anonymous letter from someone who witnessed the incident, but they are looking to get in touch with the sender.

https://twitter.com/AlanEnglish9

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

A leader journalist say they have an anonymous letter from someone who witnessed the incident, but they are looking to get in touch with the sender.

https://twitter.com/AlanEnglish9

I think I'll post a letter to the leader and say that the guy ran over a neighbours dog because it barks at night. I won't sign it or give any proof, just say that I'm totes credible.

Unfortuently, I dealt with that editor before for another incident. He jumps the gun and gives a one-sided headline rather than checking facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

First I heard that Pierce Parker got expelled from UL when he spoke up about the incident when the Chinese student got jeered and eggs thrown at him.

https://www.facebook.com/PetitionToExpelTheUlStudentsWhoLuredADogToItsDeath

Is this the same Pierce Parker that was a researcher in the Sociology Department?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Advertisement