Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muntons IPA 3kg

Options
  • 03-06-2013 8:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭

Just bought one of these as my upcoming first brew. Figure I need to get used to the equipment so just got the easiest 'just add water' kit that might deliver good results.

Kit has tins of malt extract and brewers yeast.

My question is whether there's anything easy I can do to improve the quality of the beer.

I gather that kit beers all have a particular 'home brew tang' but have seen different suggestions as regards adding hops, brewers sugar or beer enhancer.

Any suggestions for what to add to this one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

gosplan wrote: »
    Just bought one of these as my upcoming first brew. Figure I need to get used to the equipment so just got the easiest 'just add water' kit that might deliver good results.

Kit has tins of malt extract and brewers yeast.

My question is whether there's anything easy I can do to improve the quality of the beer.

I gather that kit beers all have a particular 'home brew tang' but have seen different suggestions as regards adding hops, brewers sugar or beer enhancer.

Any suggestions for what to add to this one?

If it's your first just use the kit! You don't need to worry about diff malts or sugars etc as you havea two can kit which is all malt. You could use real hops instead of the powder thati assume came with the kit but You'll have nothing to compare it to anyway. Some tips I've picked up - clean everything, brew at 18° for about two weeks. And the hardest bit- leave it for at least six weeks in the bottle to condition before drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

KAGY wrote: »
    If it's your first just use the kit! You don't need to worry about diff malts or sugars etc as you havea two can kit which is all malt. You could use real hops instead of the powder thati assume came with the kit but You'll have nothing to compare it to anyway. Some tips I've picked up - clean everything, brew at 18° for about two weeks. And the hardest bit- leave it for at least six weeks in the bottle to condition before drinking.

Cheers.

I'm at least best substituting brewers sugar or beer enhancer for regular sugar though, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Devi

Cheers.

I'm at least best substituting brewers sugar or beer enhancer for regular sugar though, right?

You don’t need to add any significant quantity of extra fermentables such as brewing sugar to the 3kg kits just the 1.7kg kits such as the coopers ones. The only time you will need more fermentables is when bottling but that will be a small amount. I usually use brewing sugar for this but some people use dry malt extract (DME).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Devi wrote: »
    You don’t need to add any significant quantity of extra fermentables such as brewing sugar to the 3kg kits just the 1.7kg kits such as the coopers ones. The only time you will need more fermentables is when bottling but that will be a small amount. I usually use brewing sugar for this but some people use dry malt extract (DME).

Ah, OK so 3kg kits basically give you a better quality of sugar in them so it'll be better than a smaller kit with 2 bags of regular sugar added in.

Thanks for walking me through this.

So I should save my newly purchased cascade pellets and enhancer for another time.

Any use for the droplets that go in the bottle?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

For a first brew I would recommend making the 3Kg kit as per instructions and check the gravity after about a week to see how its getting on. You can usually bottle after about two weeks from start of ferment if the gravity is constant within 1012-1016 range and is pretty clear. I find one carbonation drop per bottle works fine and is very easy to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Devi

Ah, OK so 3kg kits basically give you a better quality of sugar in them so it'll be better than a smaller kit with 2 bags of regular sugar added in.

Thanks for walking me through this.

So I should save my newly purchased cascade pellets and enhancer for another time.

Any use for the droplets that go in the bottle?

Yea that's basically it, there actually the best for beginners because there is less you can do wrong. Sugar like table sugar and brewing sugar leaves a cider taste in the beer so should be used sparingly or not at all. The 3kg are all pre-hoped malt so less likely to give un wanted flavours.

Advertisement