Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uniform required in Flannans for LC?

• 03-06-2013 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Does anyone know if you need to wear your uniform in St. Flannens for the duration of the Leaving Cert ?
    The office is shut so i can't get reply, my daughter is due to sit on weds and insists she doesn't need to wear it but i thought i'd read something before that said otherwise.
    thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,243 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Exam Superintendents usually like people to be in uniform at least the first day, as there will be people from outside the school (repeat Leaving, adults retaking a subject or return to education people) and they will be busy enough checking the ID for those people, without having to check the school population too. It's very easy if they are in a uniform.

If it turns out the school allows them be in their own clothes, no harm done, if it turns out the school wanted them in uniform, no problem.

The last thing she needs is some principled 17 year old battle with authority on the day she is sitting an important exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭woggie

thanks Spurious, yes I've used that same argument with her myself but there are other "issues" at play here so I'd still like a definitive answer from someone who knows for sure, so if anyone reading has a child sitting LC this year or in the recent past that knows what Flannan's policy is on wearing/not wearing the uniform for the exams i'd really appreciate a reply.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

When I did my leaving in Flannan's (almost 20 years ago), you didn't have to wear a uniform, it's more important for students to be comfortable than having to wear a uniform. A friend of mine's son is repeating this year, I asked about the uniform and was told they don't have to wear it if they don't want to.

Thanks Clareman

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,243 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The school will be open tomorrow. Easy enough ring and check.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Bench Press

you didn't have to in 1995 anyway

spurious wrote: »
    The school will be open tomorrow. Easy enough ring and check.
    You're joking - they NEVER answer the phone, I've always had to go round in person to check anything out!
    Ah we'll, I shall pay them a trip in person tomorrow I just thought someone on boards might have a son/daughter doing lc this year that could answer and save me the hassle of getting time off work.

In case it helps anyone else, the official answer is NO you dont need to wear the uniform (in 2013 anyway!)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

woggie wrote: »
    You're joking - they NEVER answer the phone, I've always had to go round in person to check anything out!
    Ah we'll, I shall pay them a trip in person tomorrow I just thought someone on boards might have a son/daughter doing lc this year that could answer and save me the hassle of getting time off work.

I had to ring a few times and worked around the menu and got through no problem.

I don't think it would be much of an issue. I think its mostly up to the school and their rules to decide whether or not a lc student needs uniform. It would be same as junior cert.

St. Flannans College Contact Details:
    http://www.stflannanscollege.ie/

Tel: 065 6828019

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I remembered the story going around when I did the LC was that we weren't students anymore, that we were just using the facilities to take exams so we didn't have to adhere to the rules of the school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

I was there this morning, and all were not in uniform except for this one poor lad who crossed at the lights and was in full uniform!
    He looked like a JC, and I reckon his parents didnt believe him ooooops!

Advertisement