Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2tb cloud storage option with sync?

Options
  • 03-06-2013 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭

hi, a friend of mine has a small business with 3 laptops connected to an iomega storcentre NAS (ix-2). He would like a syncable cloud backup of everything on the NAS in case of fire etc

are there any cloud options with this size of storage that can sync with a NAS?

any help would be much appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,314 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Not sure but you can contact cloud vendors directly. I'd use the Contact Us links for Dropbox and Carbonite, respectively, and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

For incremental backup, amazon have a very cheap solution called glacier. It's only designed to be retrieved in a disaster recovery scenario, so retrieval is slow.

edit: personally I'm scabby so from a business premises I might consider incremental backup to networked storage at my house (assuming some level of raid redundancy).

• Registered Users Posts: 83,314 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I forgot all about Glacier, just heard about it once in a pre-launch gizmodo article and it fecked off from my memory. Very cheap solution per MB because the drives its saved to (including tape backups if I recall?) aren't racked to servers, which is why retrieval times are measured in hours, the drive has to be physically mounted back into a rack. To support your incremental updates they first go to a "cache" server to be loaded with the rest of your backup at regular intervals. Actually a very cool setup. For enterprises they support shipping media directly to them in cases where it would be faster to ship it directly to the data center than upload it over the web (say, if the business needed to backup a couple Petabytes).

http://aws.amazon.com/glacier/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

many thanks for your help :). think ill go with glacier. hearing nightmare stories about a lot of the other options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Do you really have 2TB of "data", or are you going to ghost/image each laptop in it's entirety ?

Most business laptops only have Ms Office docs they want to save, the rest is the operating system and usual applications.
    So an initial ghost image of the laptop, followed by syncing the documents might be the best choice.

One thing to consider, is the new Bittorrent Sync to select a folder(s) to synchronize between computers/servers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Do you really have 2TB of "data", or are you going to ghost/image each laptop in it's entirety ?

Most business laptops only have Ms Office docs they want to save, the rest is the operating system and usual applications.
    So an initial ghost image of the laptop, followed by syncing the documents might be the best choice.

One thing to consider, is the new Bittorrent Sync to select a folder(s) to synchronize between computers/servers.

All company accounts / CAD files etc are shared on NAS. accessed by 3 computers. currently at 80gb (of 2tb) set it up about 12 weeks ago for them. very unlikely they will go over 1tb in the next year. all the boss wants is a synced copy of whatever is on the network drive....ill check out that bittorent...thanks.

Advertisement