Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mitsubishi Carismas (and potential alternatives)

• 03-06-2013 11:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭

Good morning all

My sister is thinking of buying a Carisma - and i was just wondering if anyone could highlight any particular areas to watch out for on Carismas - common faults and issues etc.

Also any suggestions for alternative cars she might consider in the 01, 02 and 03 era in terms of age - Japanese preferred - would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Alternatives?

Everything else.

Seriously though I'd consider a 01 Corolla. It does bland and competent a lot better than the Carisma. Cheap to run, repair and live with in general.

Avoid the Almera of that age as they aren't great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Alternatives?

Everything else.

Seriously though I'd consider a 01 Corolla. It does bland and competent a lot better than the Carisma. Cheap to run, repair and live with in general.

Avoid the Almera of that age as they aren't great.

in a nutshell really.

a civic mightn't be a bad choice either, but it may be hard to find a clean one.

in a nutshell really.

a civic mightn't be a bad choice either, but it may be hard to find a clean one.

It would probably be easier to buy a clean civic saloon than a hatch but I hate their interiors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

No love for the Carisma then :).

I was expecting that to be honest as im not a Carisma fan either.

But assuming that when she test drives one - she likes how Carismas drive - is there any serious reliability issues with them - or is the lack of Carisma love due to how they drive (not such a concern as she will soon discover on a test drive if she likes the drive or not).

Already suggested Hondas a number of weeks ago, shes already familiar with Toyotas coming from an older Corolla. Not much apparent love for the Honda idea from her from what I could see.

However what are the Civics like on fuel - that was the first thing she mentioned when I suggested Hondas. if they aren't too bad on fuel - then I will suggest the idea again. She probably thinks they are alchos on fuel :D.

I actually like the Civic saloon and think a good one of those would actually do the business for her.

Have heard the Almeras aren't great in that era, a nice Focus would the chap for the job imo - but she would prefer japanese.

And while Mazdas have a decent reputation (aside from their modern diesel engines) im not at all convinced that they are as good as they are made out to be.

thanks guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Old diesel wrote: »
    No love for the Carisma then :).

I was expecting that to be honest as im not a Carisma fan either.

But assuming that when she test drives one - she likes how Carismas drive - is there any serious reliability issues with them - or is the lack of Carisma love due to how they drive (not such a concern as she will soon discover on a test drive if she likes the drive or not).

Already suggested Hondas a number of weeks ago, shes already familiar with Toyotas coming from an older Corolla. Not much apparent love for the Honda idea from her from what I could see.

However what are the Civics like on fuel - that was the first thing she mentioned when I suggested Hondas. if they aren't too bad on fuel - then I will suggest the idea again. She probably thinks they are alchos on fuel :D.

I actually like the Civic saloon and think a good one of those would actually do the business for her.

Have heard the Almeras aren't great in that era, a nice Focus would the chap for the job imo - but she would prefer japanese.

And while Mazdas have a decent reputation (aside from their modern diesel engines) im not at all convinced that they are as good as they are made out to be.

thanks guys

I have no idea how you have come to that conclusion and consider a Carisma better than a 323. The Carisma was built in the Netherlands along side the Volvo S40 so it didn't have the old school Japanese build quality like a car built in Japan at the time. The 1.8 GDi engine was also well known for giving problems and the diesel engine was something they borrowed from Renault.

While the Mazda 323 was hardly a benchmark in it's class, I'd have a 323 over a Carisma any day of the week.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    While the Mazda 323 was hardly a benchmark in it's class, I'd have a 323 over a Carisma any day of the week.

If the Golf hasn't come along in the same year it would have been the bench mark in its class. OP there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the Carisma but very little to recommend it. A user on here maintains they use poor suspension parts that wear out quickly but that's about it apart from the GDI engine giving issues.

Honestly I'd take a Corolla any day over one.

With cars that age and price look out for rust and anything obviously wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Nothing wrong with the Renault diesel in them. Well able to do big miles with ease.

I have no idea how you have come to that conclusion and consider a Carisma better than a 323. The Carisma was built in the Netherlands along side the Volvo S40 so it didn't have the old school Japanese build quality like a car built in Japan at the time. The 1.8 GDi engine was also well known for giving problems and the diesel engine was something they borrowed from Renault.

Petrol Mazdas are good cars imo - its just I think that they aren't quite as good as some make them out to be. I don't actually think the Carisma is better then the 323 - the only reason I was mentioning the Carisma is that - shes thinking of buying the Carisma.

Like yourself - I would have the 323 over the Carisma - but the thing is - I don't think the 323 offers anything extra in terms of reliability and quality over the Civic - I think Hondas tend to be excellent in terms of reliability.

So the Honda would be my preferred option of the Japanese cars if I was buying the car - that's what I meant with the Mazda comments that you quoted. My own fault for not explaining my comments properly :).

To be honest - im not overly fussed on the Carisma either because I can't see what advantages the Carisma offers over other cars to justify purchasing one.

As mentioned the quality of the drive doesn't bother me - she will figure that out for herself on a test drive. I was more wondering about serious reliability concerns that one would need to be aware off.

Thank you to everyone for the advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Im not sure I agree with much of the comments in this thread.
    While the carisma might not be the best car ever, it is possible now to buy a very clean well minded one for tiny money whereas you will only be getting scrap civic / corollas for the same money.

mickdw wrote: »
    While the carisma might not be the best car ever, it is possible now to buy a very clean well minded one for tiny money whereas you will only be getting scrap civic / corollas for the same money.

Well to be fair - you can pick one up for handier money now compared to a Civic.

And to be fair - a well minded Carisma could have potential to be an okay car.

What kind of money would you expect to be paying for a 02 Carisma 1.3 or 1.6. Think shes looking at a 1.3 for 1,950 euros for an 02 with 130,000 miles from a dealer.

Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Jays us don't pay 2 grand for a 11 year old charisma with 130 k anyway whatever you do

Well to be fair - you can pick one up for handier money now compared to a Civic.

And to be fair - a well minded Carisma could have potential to be an okay car.

What kind of money would you expect to be paying for a 02 Carisma 1.3 or 1.6. Think shes looking at a 1.3 for 1,950 euros for an 02 with 130,000 miles from a dealer.

Thanks again
    That's a well looney price tag.

You'd get a very good condition car that's better if you buy private

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

As has been said get a Mazda 323, Corolla or a Honda Civic over a Carisma. All are far better cars in every way to the Carisma.

The Carisma is a dog of a car Imo built with an array of parts from other European manufacturers, mostly from Renault. E.g the gearbox is a Renault unit and is horrible to use and feels nothing like how smooth the gear changes usually are in Jap cars.

mickdw wrote: »
    Tbh a even a rough civic,corolla,323 would probably still be better than a good condition carisma.

€2k for an 11 year old Carisma is just nuts. These cars should be in bangernomics territory at this stage.

Another few hundred quid and she can get a more modern Lancer:
    media?xwm=y&id=14537186&width=400&height=300
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Mitsubishi/Lancer/1.3-COMFORT/201317214593374/

If the Golf hasn't come along in the same year it would have been the bench mark in its class. OP there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the Carisma but very little to recommend it. A user on here maintains they use poor suspension parts that wear out quickly but that's about it apart from the GDI engine giving issues.

Honestly I'd take a Corolla any day over one.

With cars that age and price look out for rust and anything obviously wrong.
    You mean if the Focus came along rather than the Golf. Still though even if the Golf and Focus were taken out of the equation the Civic would be more of a class leader than the 323 Imo. Both are good cars all the same.:)

€2k for an 11 year old Carisma is just nuts. These cars should be in bangernomics territory at this stage.

These are a better car all around than a carisma. If a Mitsubishi is what the op is after they won't get much better mitsubishi than one of these Imo.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    You mean if the Focus came along rather than the Golf. Still though even if the Golf and Focus were taken out of the equation the Civic would be more of a class leader than the 323 Imo. Both are good cars all the same.:)

323 came out in May 98, went to the top of the class, Golf came along about 3 weeks later and kicked it for interior quality and Focus came along and put the handling of both to shame.

I'm almost certain I have the chronology of that correct. Either way, it never spent much time at the top.

The Lancer posted is certainly a better car than the Carisma, no argument

323 came out in May 98, went to the top of the class, Golf came along about 3 weeks later and kicked it for interior quality and Focus came along and put the handling of both to shame.

I'm almost certain I have the chronology of that correct. Either way, it never spent much time at the top.

The Lancer posted is certainly a better car than the Carisma, no argument
    The Mazda 323 is a great car but id always have the Ej/Ek 1996-2001 Civic ahead of it in term of class leaders. This is just my personal opinion and experience of course :).

My reasons for this is it came with class leading double wishbone front suspension, fully independent rear suspension and excellent free revving engines. Along with that it had top notch built quality and an interior that matches that of the 323.

In terms of handling I think it's ahead of both the 323 and Golf. In standard form the Focus will out handle a Civic but the Civic is more tunable due to more sophisticated Suspension and with a few mods can out handle a focus Imo.

Genuinely liking the look of that - we shall have to wait and see - i suspect that although that looks like a lovely car - she may be put off by it been a private sale.

Thank you for posting that car - it has more appeal to me then the Carisma - shes set on the Carisma though - don't get why to be honest.

Serious question here lads - i appreciate 100 percent that you would be suggesting to look at other things rather then Carismas. And if it was my car - i would be doing precisely that.

Starting with a trip to Clare to look at the car Bazz has linked to.

However - if shes got her heart set on the Carisma which i think she does - what is a fair price to pay for a 2002 1.3 Carisma with 130 k miles on the clock from a dealer.

Agree that 2 grand sounds nuts though - seeing some Accord prices has confirmed this to me in no uncertain terms.

Thanks guys

• Advertisement

Genuinely liking the look of that - we shall have to wait and see - i suspect that although that looks like a lovely car - she may be put off by it been a private sale.

Thank you for posting that car - it has more appeal to me then the Carisma - shes set on the Carisma though - don't get why to be honest.

Serious question here lads - i appreciate 100 percent that you would be suggesting to look at other things rather then Carismas. And if it was my car - i would be doing precisely that.

Starting with a trip to Clare to look at the car Bazz has linked to.

However - if shes got her heart set on the Carisma which i think she does - what is a fair price to pay for a 2002 1.3 Carisma with 130 k miles on the clock from a dealer.

Agree that 2 grand sounds nuts though - seeing some Accord prices has confirmed this to me in no uncertain terms.

Thanks guys
    I don't see any advantage of going down the dealer route at this end of the market. You will get little to no warranty and still be paying a premium over a private sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭cabb8ge

My friend and his wife had 00 Carisma hatch, 1.6 with mentioned Renault gearbox, bought 5 years ago when they come to Ireland, put 100k kil'ms on it. No trouble, for nct it need cv boot x 2 and one CV joint too, also tyres down to 2mm thread, also service due soon, it had 175k of miles on odometer in total. They decide not to proceed with car.

They buy another one for €450 I think, 1999 with less miles and in good condition mechanicals with NCT and maybe little tax I think, saloon too this time. They are what they are. Gearbox not like jap motor as mention but it not too soft gearbox. Civic or 323 or lancer better but for someone not interested in car Carisma fine and even at cheap end of market can be cheaper by many hundreds than 323, corolla; civic etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

in that category with that money the world is your oyster, As said previously the Volvo S40 was built on the same production line but you'll probably get an S40 with better safety spec and leather for similar money and it will have a better chance at resale as it's a Volvo.
    If it were me I'd go onto Donedeal and use the refine option to list everything in that price range that's a saloon, petrol and sub 1.5L.

Edit: at that money I would be nowhere near a dealer, it's all private sales sub 5k IMO.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    I don't see any advantage of going down the dealer route at this end of the market. You will get little to no warranty and still be paying a premium over a private sale.

+1

The only premium you are paying by going to a dealer over a private seller in this price range is the dealer's profit and cost of the minimum warranty priced into their selling price. An 11 year old car being sold by a dealer is more than likely just someone else's cast off that they took as a trade-in and the dealer is looking to turn it over it over quickly for a profit without putting little or any money into it. By buying private you can tell a lot about the car and how it was maintained by talking to the owner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭crosshair1

Has she given a carisma a decent test drive?
    IMO they have the most uncomfortable seats of any car I've sat in.

I agree that at this price range - its a lot harder to justify a dealer purchase.

As far as I know - she hasn't driven one yet - but she thinks they are a nice car.

I suggested looking at other cars - maybe I might have to start firing links of other cars like the red Lancer above - and the odd focus or 3 in the general direction of her email account.

We shall see what happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭holdmybeer

Parts for Mitsubishi are extremely expensive and most people end up getting 2nd hand parts for them. I'd agree with ba_barabus, also the Avensis 00 are also good.

Well the bangernomics tread is throwing up possibilities :eek: in relation to my sisters potential car purchase.

How does the sister S40 compare with the Carisma - they are safer (weren't they the top performer in NCAP safety tests when tested back in the day (first car to achieve 4 star rating (when 4 star was the top rating??).

However did Volvo make any changes to the driving characteristics of the S40 - and whats is the view point on the 1.9 diesel variant.

Oh and that blue 626 in the bangernomics tread - yes its next class up and a 2 litre. But how does it compare to the Carisma - same/worse/better??.

Aside from that - whats the general viewpoint on the 04 era Lancers like the red one Bazz26 (I think) posted a link to actually like.

Finally - would I be right in thinking that 1500 euros for a 04 1.5/1.6 Mazda 323 (1.6 in the add :confused:) from a dealer is too (suspiciously) cheap.

Thanks for the help and advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Oh and that blue 626 in the bangernomics tread - yes its next class up and a 2 litre. But how does it compare to the Carisma - same/worse/better??.

Far better. The 626 2l petrol is old skool and a bit dull, but it is one of the most reliable cars ever built.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Far better. The 626 2l petrol is old skool and a bit dull, but it is one of the most reliable cars ever built.

Nice one - and yes I know they are not the most exciting of cars - id expect that - but what are they like in terms of usability, comfort and such stuff.

I mean I know they are a bit dull - but are they still a pleasant daily driver (ie comfortable, good usability etc).

Its a long shot - but a lot of the better then Carisma options are more expensive - with good reason imo to be fair - but this is half price.

Its certainly interesting to see how a car from the next size up with a 2 litre petrol engine can be considerably cheaper then a 1.3 petrol from the class below - same manufacturer - at the same age mileage.

I see the same thing with Accords - competitive on price with the Carisma - but I would say a much better car.

More thinking to be done

Thanks again

Well the bangernomics tread is throwing up possibilities :eek: in relation to my sisters potential car purchase.

How does the sister S40 compare with the Carisma - they are safer (weren't they the top performer in NCAP safety tests when tested back in the day (first car to achieve 4 star rating (when 4 star was the top rating??).

However did Volvo make any changes to the driving characteristics of the S40 - and whats is the view point on the 1.9 diesel variant.

Aside from that - whats the general viewpoint on the 04 era Lancers like the red one Bazz26 (I think) posted a link to actually like.

Finally - would I be right in thinking that 1500 euros for a 04 1.5/1.6 Mazda 323 (1.6 in the add :confused:) from a dealer is too (suspiciously) cheap.

Thanks for the help and advice
    The 04+ lancers are a grand car, from a value for money perspective they are hard to beat. I would have one over an s40 and even though the 626 is a great car and can be bought for little money, they are pushing on a bit now, couple that with poor under body rust protection and higher running costs and that would rule it out for me. They are also not an overly comfortable car and neither is those old s40s btw. The 626 is still a far better car than a Charisma though.

There was someone here a few days ago with a thread about trying to sell a Lancer as they were emigrating.

Look it up as there is a bargain to be had

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

are they still a pleasant daily driver (ie comfortable, good usability etc).

Yep, grand. Comfy enough barge and a large family car (D-segment) is by definition a lot more comfortable than a small family hatch / saloon (C-segment)
    Its certainly interesting to see how a car from the next size up with a 2 litre petrol engine can be considerably cheaper then a 1.3 petrol from the class below - same manufacturer - at the same age mileage.

Only in Ireland :D

There was someone here a few days ago with a thread about trying to sell a Lancer as they were emigrating.

Look it up as there is a bargain to be had

Thanks - I have looked at that tread - and yes - it seems a lovely car - will have to have a think about it - unfortunately though - don't think my sisters the type to go to Dublin to buy a car :( - and she probably won't be overly keen on private sales.

And yes I know the 626 mentioned earlier is a private sale - but the reason that's in the frame (in my eyes) is because its half the price of the Carisma shes looking at - so she doesn't have to worry about getting rid of her van - as much.

Will definitely show her a link to that car though - it would be good for her to see the Lancer alternative

Thanks very much though

Thank

Okay - no sign of the new to her car yet -

What are the general thoughts on these two machines

Mazda 323

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mazda-323-2001/4759383

Focus

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-focus-ghia-1-6l-bargin/5228979

Do you think that focus is too cheap for what it appears to be - or have I being looking too much at overpriced ones.

I know its not Jap - but id have thought them to be a fairly reliable car and probably a much better all rounder then a carisma.

Those 2 are 1.6s - but would I be right in thinking theres bugger all difference between a 1.3/1.4 - and a 1.6 on fuel economy.

Thanks for all the help

edited - looked at the Mazda again - boot on drivers side is out of line with back wing drivers side - gone off it a bit now

• Advertisement
Advertisement