Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beat a game from your backlog this May: June Edition

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

C14N wrote: »
    There's a lot of discussion online about this with the theory generally being that the gameplay is deliberately not very good to tie in with the message. I know it's easy to call that a cop-out but I dunno, I found it to be pretty much up to the par of every other shooter I've played for the last few years.

Rainbow Six Vegas was released almost 6 years earlier and is a much better game. The same could probably be said for the Gears of War series. Don't get me wrong it's a good game, but only that.
    It strikes me as a post hoc fallacy : To give the game an even higher standing in the persons mind they assume the gameplay was all part of the genius and insight of the developers. If that's the case, is there anything other than pure speculative after the event theory to back this up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Jernal wrote: »
    Rainbow Six Vegas was released almost 6 years earlier and is a much better game. The same could probably be said for the Gears of War series. Don't get me wrong it's a good game, but only that.
    It strikes me as a post hoc fallacy : To give the game an even higher standing in the persons mind they assume the gameplay was all part of the genius and insight of the developers. If that's the case, is there anything other than pure speculative after the event theory to back this up?

I don't know really, like I said I think it might have been sort of a cop-out on behalf of people who just really liked the game :o A particularly good video I found on the subject was this one if you're interested (it's a 9+ minute whopper though so get the popcorn)

I recommend it purely because it gave me a better understanding of the game and actually prompted me to replay it straight away.

I played R6V at the time and I've played GOW (all on PC) and that's what I meant when I say it all seemed much the same to me, just linear progression of shooting all the guys in one area then moving on and doing it again with very little to change the gameplay along the way. I'm obviously no shooter connoisseur though and the thing that drives me in a game like this is the story, which I think Spec Ops did really well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,709 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Decided to forgo sleep, and beat Thomas Was Alone and Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

TWA is a very frustrating game - like many modern 2D platformers, it has that slight stickyness to it which leads to your falling off a ledge when you meant to do a pixel-perfect edge jump instead.
    Also (and let's be a honest) it's a tiny bit up its own arse with the minimalist aesthetic - somewhat saved by the genuinely funny dialogue.

DE:HR ... I spent too much time on inventory management & upgrading to actually SHOOT my guns. It has that problem where the pistol (with laser, damage + silencer) is the BEST weapon in the game, only bad during boss battles (and I can just use Typhoon to breeze past most of them).
    Other than that, the pacing is very good - very Half-Life-rollercoaster style.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I just beat God of War: Ascension. I thought it was pretty good but a step down from the first and second which I just played earlier this year.

I've no idea what to tackle next.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I beat London Life last night (the game that came with Professor Layton and the Last Specter).

Felt in a dragonquesting mode, so I'm now playing Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Haven't touched a single game this month so far what with the weather but with things set to get back to normal on Monday I'll likely get back into gaming. Mass Effect 3 still to finish, I have about 30 hours clocked now so with some commitment I should at least get close to beating it.

Bought a couple of the recent Humble Bundles and haven't even got around to checking what I actually bought but I'll hopefully get stuck into one or two of those games as well.

Dark Souls also on the go but think I'll save that for when I'm off work next month and have the time to really appreciate it

I've actually all but cleared my xbox backlog now, ME3 and Dark Souls are my only remaining games with both well on the go. Steam is another story of course :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Just started Tomb Raider today, enjoying it so far. Finding it much more interesting than the old games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Just finished far cry 3,so that's bioshock infinite and far cry 3 this year so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

inFamous 2, will definitely beat it in the next week or so. Really fun game too.

Finished Dishonored and began Dear Esther (half finished by now). I have a load of humble bundle games right now and I don't want to get stuck into a big game (Far Cry 3) until after The Last of Us comes out so I'll probably be playing indie stuff this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

I started on Dishonored (PS3) but just could'nt get into it so I'm going try it again on PC at a later date as it's something that I still want to play.

Strarted inFamous 2 instead over the weekend but as it's a long enough game (I think), I have a feeeling that it may get put on the back burner when The Last of Us appears at the end of this week.

Also playing LA Noire, have only around 6 cases left so should hopefully complete that this month.

I started on Dishonored (PS3) but just could'nt get into it so I'm going try it again on PC at a later date as it's something that I still want to play.

It's quite short. I went no-kill so a huge number of powers didn't interest me. If you skip searching for runes and bone charms (and there's honestly only a few that are very useful) you should fly through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭tyrion1234

So far this year I have completed:

3DS
    Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    Super Mario 3D Land

PS3
    Ni No Kuni

Xbox 360
    Blops 2
    Halo 4
    Assassins Creed 3
    Sleeping Dogs
    Bioshock Infinite (Twice)

Now adding The Darkness 2 (x2) and Resident Evil 6 on the 360

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just beat Asura's Wrath. It got mixed reviews on release and I can see where the low reviews are coming from but they are totally wrong the game is really good. Sure it's just a bunch of QTE's and the odd fight sequence but the game never pretends to be otherwise. Don't think of it as a game and more of an anime that you periodically have fights during and it all makes sense. Have to give credit to Capcom and CyberConnect2 for doing something so radical.

I'd recommend playing on Hard mode since you can then die in battles. The boss battles are great in Hard mode.

One annoyance is that the true ending is DLC. You still get an ending without it but it's no where near as satisfying. However the DLC is fantastic and cheap so it's worth picking up. The episode 11.5 and 15.5 DLC isn't worth getting. They add nothing to the game and are just 2D animation with QTE prompts. I wouldn't mind but the animation is really poor.

Overall I liked it a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,389 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Just beat Bastion. Four months after deciding to, I finally got around to finishing it off, turns out I wasn't too far off the end anyways. Not a bad aul ending. After playing open ended games like GW2, Diablo 3, and Planetside 2 almost exclusively for the last few months, there's a definite feeling of satisfaction after finishing a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

After starting it two years ago, tonight I finally finished Oblivion :pac: :D Never had the time to until now with college and all that, so finished up the main and some guilds over the past two days.

Haven't even seen Skyrim yet, bwahahaha!

Finished The Last of Us this morning and genuinely considered just playing it again right there. Decided against it though as I still have quite a large backlog to get through but I'm sure I will at some stage.

So since the start of summer that makes

Spec Ops The Line (2nd time)
    Braid (2nd time)
    Crysis 2
    Bioshock
    Dishonored
    The Last of Us

At the moment still playing Red Dead Redemption, The Walking Dead and need to finish Dear Esther.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Just finished Arkham Asylum there over the weekend. Was expecting more of a climax when up against the joker other than:
    beating up waves of goons, pulling him off a ledge, punching him in the face and dodging a few swipes, rinse and repeat... always repeat...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Finally got around to finishing God of War 2 on PS3 :D

Good timing too, just subbed to PS+ :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Completed FUSE. The AI of your team mates is absolute shíte so was a bit of a labour of love to try finish it.

Killzone 2, ICO/Shadow Of The Colossus have been started. The Last Of Us was sold out everywhere over the weekend so I'll tackle it very soon I hope.

• Advertisement

Just finished Arkham Asylum there over the weekend. Was expecting more of a climax when up against the joker other than:
    beating up waves of goons, pulling him off a ledge, punching him in the face and dodging a few swipes, rinse and repeat... always repeat...

I thought the ending in that had
    an horrifically 'roided up Joker
    as the final boss?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

C14N wrote: »
    I thought the ending in that had
    an horrifically 'roided up Joker
    as the final boss?

Was
    dodgable until up on a ledge again. Wave of goons to kill, then stuck when you pulled him off it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Hmmm....I'm trying to finish Amnesia, but it's too creepy right now. Shall play again tomorrow night I hope :pac:

I'm at
    the back room, where you put the cogs in the machine to make the lift work. That water part beforehand is unnerving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I finally started and completed Xenoblade Chronicles. Loved it. Great game. I started up The Last Story but didn't get too far before thinking I wasn't really getting in to it. After Xenoblade, I had two options, that or Pandora's Tower. It's late now, so not going to start Pandora's now, anyway. Wouldn't mind hearing peoples thoughts on those two games. If TLS gets better or if I should just jump to PT.

That's the Wii. I also got through Spec Ops: The Line. Enjoyed that quite a bit. Also went through Kingdoms of Amalur. It's ok. Worth my playthrough but I can't really say it'd be near the top of games I'd go out of my way to recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭tyrion1234

Just finished Dark Souls on the 360. Great game, gonna take a bit of a break before going onto new game +. Thinking of playing either Dead Space 2 of Infamous 2 next, also just after subscribing to PS+.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

zero19 wrote: »
    Just started Tomb Raider today, enjoying it so far. Finding it much more interesting than the old games.

Finished this last week, enjoyed it but it got quite repetitive half way through. Also finished State of Decay this week, enjoyed it despite it being so glitchy along with framerate issues.

Thinking of starting GoW Judgement today, never played a GoW game before so should be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

zero19 wrote: »
    Thinking of starting GoW Judgement today, never played a GoW game before so should be interesting.
    I don't think I'm going to get it myself, and this is someone who has gotten 100% completion on the first 3 games. From what I'm seeing in reviews and what I'm hearing from a lot of people I used to play Gears with regularly, Judgment is just not a good Gears game. I'd caution against judging (no pun intended) the series on the basis of that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Just completed Dust: An Elysian Tail. Got it in December, started it in March, started it again this month. While I enjoyed the game, I don't feel compelled to go play it on a harder difficulty, or go looking for achievements. Not yet anyway.

Found the voice acting slightly annoying (especially Fidget). I don't get why people hated the art style so much when it came out. The cut scenes were well done I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I beat Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins earlier today. I don't think I ever played it before on the original Game Boy. On the whole I thought it was good, probably a better game than the first Mario Land. Graphically it is a very impressive leap forward from the first game, although at times the framerate drops dramatically with more than a couple of moving objects on screen.

It is though one of the weirdest Mario games I've played. There are so many elements here that I have not seen before or since. There are Mario's rabbit ears, the Moon themed levels, the fact that after killing 100 enemies you get a Star. The range of enemies is totally different too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Both mario land games are bizarre because they were made by Yokoi Gunpei and the Metroid team and not the usual mario team.

Advertisement