Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Setup: XBMC on Android + Nas : Comments and advice please

• 03-06-2013 12:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭

So many moons ago, I got the WDTV box and that worked until codecs went beyond it's capabilities.
    As it happened, the new Samsung smart TV with all-share on the laptop took over.
    However samsung have upgraded their software past the capabilites of my TV. (TV can't ffwd over dlna)
    So I'm now looking for a player/setup that will last into the future.

Budget is not set but not unlimited. Will be doing this piecemeal over the next 6 months or so
    I'm thinking of the HP Proliant server (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/253305).
    This can do all the downloading and management of the content.
    I reckon it's a bit noisy, so I wasn't going to put it in the sitting room behind the TV. Am I wrong that it is noisy?

For the front end, I've been experimenting with XBMC on the laptop at the moment, with a view to installing on Android maybe (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84422199) like the mk808 or its successors.
    I want something with a remote that can be turned on/off from the remote.
    From what I can see xbmc has a skin which means I only need directional arrow, so I'm not sure I need a trackpad on the remote (but I know it would be easier).

NAS will be wired to router and cat 5 to mk808, so wireless is not really necessary.

Am I mad having two separate devices? or in my choice of devices?
    Also looking for suggestions for OS for NAS with utorrent,sickbeard,couch potato etc

Paul

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,570 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I have a NAS downstairs hardwired to a HTPC in the living room, and wireless streaming to a MK808b (from Geekbuying) running XBMC upstairs in the bedroom. I control the MK808 with the Droidmote app for launching XBMC etc and use the Yatse app to control XBMC itself. Both are available for a few quid on the Play store. Using Yatse is probably unnecessary for the bedroom, but I had the app anyway for the HTPC so use it upstairs as well. Superb app BTW. I run Plex Media Server on the NAS and choose my media from this within XBMC. I can use Droidmote to shut down the MK808, but not cut the power to it or restart. I got around this by plugging it in through a remote controlled power socket (about €10 from Amazon); once the MK is shut down, this will kill the power to it, and also restart it later. The socket is invisible as it is behind a chest of drawers; the remote doesn't require line of sight.

Mixed bag with the MK808b though. When it works, it works great and does what needs to be done. However, the picture regularly cuts out. I thought this may be due to lack of wireless signal upstairs so got a signal booster which did not improve matters. I reckon the HDMI port on the stick is perhaps loose or something. At about €30, it was always going to be risky though. Now thinking of getting another HTPC for upstairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jennywalsh139

what?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Antigrav

tagoona wrote: »
    So many moons ago, I got the WDTV box
    I'm thinking of the HP Proliant server (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/253305).
    This can do all the downloading and management of the content.
    I reckon it's a bit noisy, so I wasn't going to put it in the sitting room behind the TV. Am I wrong that it is noisy?

I got the ML110 as a backend media server. The boot up is a bit noisy, but I installed in in a void upstairs and therefore noise is not a problem. I chose this over a micro server as it upgrades to an i3-7 and you can install more disks and cards into it. I have three tuners for live TV and it's running RAID-1 mirrored disks and Samba as a NAS.

For frontend the Android devices look interesting. I bought an ATOM/ION mobo with an SSD, so this is totally silent. Runs openelec. I also have a Raspberry Pi running Openelec in another room mostly for just music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

I have a NAS downstairs hardwired to a HTPC in the living room, and wireless streaming to a MK808b (from Geekbuying) running XBMC upstairs in the bedroom. I control the MK808 with the Droidmote app for launching XBMC etc and use the Yatse app to control XBMC itself. Both are available for a few quid on the Play store. Using Yatse is probably unnecessary for the bedroom, but I had the app anyway for the HTPC so use it upstairs as well. Superb app BTW. I run Plex Media Server on the NAS and choose my media from this within XBMC. I can use Droidmote to shut down the MK808, but not cut the power to it or restart. I got around this by plugging it in through a remote controlled power socket (about €10 from Amazon); once the MK is shut down, this will kill the power to it, and also restart it later. The socket is invisible as it is behind a chest of drawers; the remote doesn't require line of sight.

Mixed bag with the MK808b though. When it works, it works great and does what needs to be done. However, the picture regularly cuts out. I thought this may be due to lack of wireless signal upstairs so got a signal booster which did not improve matters. I reckon the HDMI port on the stick is perhaps loose or something. At about €30, it was always going to be risky though. Now thinking of getting another HTPC for upstairs.
    At least I know I'm not too far off with my idea of having a thin client presentation layer.
    A bit concerned about the lack of stability that you and others seem to be having with the mk808. I'll have to keep looking.
    As a matter of interest, what does running plex media server under xbmc give you that xbmc doesn't do on it's own? Is it the dlna streaming to the mk808?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

Antigrav wrote: »
    I got the ML110 as a backend media server. The boot up is a bit noisy, but I installed in in a void upstairs and therefore noise is not a problem. I chose this over a micro server as it upgrades to an i3-7 and you can install more disks and cards into it. I have three tuners for live TV and it's running RAID-1 mirrored disks and Samba as a NAS.

For frontend the Android devices look interesting. I bought an ATOM/ION mobo with an SSD, so this is totally silent. Runs openelec. I also have a Raspberry Pi running Openelec in another room mostly for just music.
    I'm still looking around for android devices. A bit worried by the proliferation of cheap android media players. I'm looking for something that I can support / keep up to date.
    Pricing seems to be good for a PI board, with the option of re-using for something else in the future. RASPBMC looks in trouble though... one of the two developers has quit.
    Must look further into openelec as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I've got an old pc running freenas in my games room which is hardwired to my router (which is in the same room upstairs).

I then have a Boxee box in my living room and 2 Raspberry Pi's running Raspbmc velcro'd to the back of each tv in my bedrooms.

Turning the boxee on/off is all done from the remote while the Pi's are powered directly from USB ports on the tv's. Turning TV on = turning Raspbmc on. I use my phone to navigate around raspbmc.

I stream everything wirelessly.

Simple setup is simple :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

I currently have an ARCTIC MC001-N in the living room running openelec.

I have been thinking of getting a 2 raspberry pi's to use along with this. I was going to use with openelec for the 2nd tv and then use the 2nd one as a NAS and a torrent machine. This all seems to be fairly easy to do accoriding to google.

U could possibly do this with just 2 Raspberry Pi's...One as a NAS and One as a XBMC machine.

Pi's €40 each. Plus €10 accessories (case, sd cards, power supplies ) each.

Just another option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,570 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

tagoona wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, what does running plex media server under xbmc give you that xbmc doesn't do on it's own? Is it the dlna streaming to the mk808?

Just using DLNA (I think!) XBMC only sees a small portion of my media. Dunno why. Using PMS, 99% of it is seen, and most filed correctly.

Advertisement