Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weak Wifi Signal

Options
  • 03-06-2013 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭

I just recently moved into a new apartment and my room is furthest from the room containing the router, so signal I'm receiving is only about 30% on my laptop, which seems to be OK. However, my desktop has a wireless card in it from TP Link, which doesn't detect my own apartments internet at all, and detects nearby apartments weakly(student halls so its shared setup).

Moving the box is not an option, nor are the powerline devices, and I can't move the desktop as the desk is fixed here. Would a USB stick receiver do the job here if I connected it to an USB extension cable and left it closer to the side of the room closest the router? Any recommendations for a certain model, preferably available in Argos as I need it quickly.

Thanks.

EDIT: Just tried a little analyzer app(no idea if its right) but my signal at my desktop is -90dBm, and -80dBm at the closest point I can get in my room.

EDIT 2: Would this be any use to me? Hard to know if its my PCI card playing up or not as sometimes the utility flashes up saying to insert a card when it is already in.
    http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-ANT24EC5S#down

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭zg3409

Ideally move the access point to the centre of the house so everyone gets a fair signal.

I don't think the extension cable would help.

Assuming your device has a removable antenna, and it has an RP-SMA antenna a directional 2.4Ghz wifi antenna may help. You should be able to get one on ebay from UK or Ireland cheap and fast. A USB based device with a USB extension lead may help, but it may not, and may work out more expensive. Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

I got a Netgear N300 USB adapter, plugged into the USB hub on my desk and sitting on the shelf above my desk, receive a 'good' signal from an apartment beside me, and an 'fair' signal from my own apartment. Works well getting speeds of around 13Mbps at peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 lameire

I just got a Tp Link 150N nano adaptor in Argos for my PC (had the same issue) and its great.
    Cost about €13/14.
    Picks up the signal really welll now

lameire

Advertisement