Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you go into Labour??

Options
  • 03-06-2013 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭

Hi

Despite being pregnant on my 3rd - I've never gone into labour naturally.

I had to be induced both times for different reasons.

I've only a few weeks to go now and with this being my 3rd I'm hoping that this little one will come all by themselves - I also have a feeling I may go early this time so I'm sure some nerves are starting to kick in. (although I'm at the stage now where I want to BRING IT ON!!)

So, how did you go into labour?

Did you waters break bending down to put on socks? In the shower? on the toilet?

Did you wake with pains in the middle of the night all of a sudden? Or were you in the supermarket when you were struck down!?!?

Anyway, I'd love to know!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Well my waters broke of their own accord, but contractions were induced with oxytocin.
    I was worried labour would start at some inappropriate moment, but uneventfully my waters broke at 6am while I was in bed asleep. I woke up thinking I had wet myself, went to the bathroom and as I was still half asleep I don't think I fullly realised what was happening so I put a towel on the bed and went back to sleep!
    I was woken again 30 mins later by an even bigger gush!
    This was 4 days before my due date with my first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Braxton hicks just kept increasing over a few weeks. Eventually they became painful and i culdn't speak through them. Into hosp, was 3 cm. No water breaking, waters were all up behind baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Another non labourer!

First was breech so section at 39 weeks.

Second tried for natural but was given section at 12 days over as they wouldn't let me go longer and I was completely unfavourable without so much as a twinge - think she wanted another month or so!!!

Was convinced if go early... Wishful thinking on my part I'm afraid!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Had a sweep at 40 plus 5. Then woke middle of night with cramps. Had bad diahorea and was still getting cramps. Not really bad at all but couldnt get back asleep. Felt a little wet down there so went hospital . Waters were gone. Most likely due to diahrea and was 3cm so kept in but aftr 24 hours of no contractions was put on drip to bring on contractions. Lo born 10 hrs later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

No 1 waters broke late one night at 39 +2, went to hospital for 6am, I was put on a ward, started getting proper contractions at 8.30pm, brought to delivery room at midnight and my son was born at 4.20am

No 2, 40 +4, got first contraction at 7.45pm, went to hospital at 9pm, was admitted to delivery room at 9.45 and my daughter was born at 11.20pm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

First - Fore waters broke but never went into labour by myself, so had my back waters broke the next day by ARM, put on oxytocin drip but ended up being sectioned as her heart rate kept dropping and stopping.

Second - Started getting mild pains, went to hospital, not in labour but kept in for observation because of previous section. Pains started getting stronger, waters broken by ARM again.

Third - Got show at about 4am and then an hour later my water broke while lying in bed! Went to hospital about midday, kept in for observation again, and baby arrived with no intervention or pain relief around 3.30am.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My waters only broke about 20 minutes before mine were born, on the 2nd they broke my waters because her heart beat dropped.
    I got an initial contraction at about 6:30 the last time but was not in labour,when I went in to labour it was about 32 minutes before I was holding her,33 minutes on the 2nd and about 2 hours on the 1st.
    I didn't have pain relief on any of them,I would have liked some sort of pain relief but not an epidural.

1st girl was born at 38 weeks
    2nd girl at 39
    3rd a boy at 41

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I woke up in the middle of the night at 40 + 11 to go to the loo and on the walk there felt a funny pain. Turns out this was a contraction, loads of people had told me "you'll just know".... Not necessarily true! I didn't realise I was having contractions until I went to the hospital and they were picked up on the trace. When they quickly developed into 2mins apart I knew all about it though ;)

Went to the hospital at 6am and my daughter was born at 10.43am

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

I started in the hospital waiting room both times. It must have been the weight of hormones surrounding me! Had a sweep both times as I was nearly a week over by their reckonings, even though I thought I could feel it starting anyway. Also used Evening Primrose Oil to get the plug to go, though my waters only ever went as part of delivery (would have loved ARM as found everything much less painful once that happened). Took nearly three days each time to actually have the baby though; very slow cause they both turned backwards. Could only get contractions going by tweaking nipples for 20 mins, while in a warm bath. That was fine the first time as they started slow, and got to hospital in loads of time. Second time around, they started very strong, 2.5 mins apart. Bit of a panic getting to the hospital in time as we live 45 mins away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Regular natural contractions from from about 8pm (after getting them intermittently during the day). Left for hospital at 4am & had her at 10.20pm that night on her due date! Plug went when I was in the hospital (nearly had a stroke as I wasn't expecting something of that size - they should warn you in antenatal classes!), they broke my waters for me, but this time I'm not going to let them unless there's a real reason for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

First one was induced at 36 weeks so no spontaneous labour. They broke the waters for me as part of the induction

Second one had braxton hicks all day and they were fairly regular so I knew it was something happening...anyhow went to hospital at midnight and the waters broke in there. it was like a huge contraction and pressure and then 'pop'lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I was 9 days over and period type pains turned into contractions over the course of the day.

Waters broke when sitting on my couch (had a maternity mat under me) and then baby born about 6.5 hours later... again on said couch :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭movingsucks

No waters breaking, no contractions, not even a braxton hicks., nothing.

Booked in to the hospital for induction, no sign of anything starting. Was induced, few hours later had "the show", they gave me an internal and either broke my waters or they broke when they were doing it, I don't know. She just said "there's your waters gone now". Contractions after that, oxytocin drip and vacumm delivery.
    Nothing natural about it.
    When they were telling me to push I felt nothing and I think my body just wasn't ready for labour , something somewhere hadn't fallen into place.
    Sometimes I wonder if it was the right thing to do but sure we both came out healthy and that's the main thing

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Thanks everyone - loving all the different stories. Don't you wish there was a manual called "This is how you go into labour and have a baby......" Wishful thinking hey?!?! ;-)

If anyone else has any other stories I'd love to hear them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Digs wrote: »
    I woke up in the middle of the night at 40 + 11 to go to the loo and on the walk there felt a funny pain. Turns out this was a contraction, loads of people had told me "you'll just know".... Not necessarily true! I didn't realise I was having contractions until I went to the hospital and they were picked up on the trace. When they quickly developed into 2mins apart I knew all about it though ;)

Went to the hospital at 6am and my daughter was born at 10.43am

I was kind of like this too. Woke at 2am with 'bad wind' but couldn't seem to relieve myself!!! At 5am I realised the pains were regular and were in fact contractions. Went to hospital at 9am, only got to 3cm at 4pm, admitted to labour ward at 7pm where my waters had to be broken. Baby boy born at 4am!

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

Waters broke at 7:05 am went to hospital at 10am couple of laps of the hospital very mild contractions from lunch time until about 5ish then they came quick and fast between 5:45 and 7:30 1- 1:30min apart some of them lasting 3mins! Brought to delivery ward at 8:45pm fully by 1:30am didn't push till 4am pushed for 30mins baby eventually born by c-section at 5:36am. Even tho it wasn't a vaginal birth I got to experience the whole labour and pushing part so at least I know what to expect nxt time round :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Both were born at 39 weeks. With first one I had cramps for the whole day. In the evening I decided to phone the hospital and they told me to come in. It turns out I had contractions. :D

Wit the second one I felt something like a bubble pop and went to the toilet. There was a trickle but I had no 'cramps'. I rang hospital and was again told to come in. I still had to pack some additional stuff into the bag, do I was doing some washing, drying and looking for blankets and similar. We have our own business so I also had to do the wages. About four hours later my partner brought me to the hospital. On the way he was telling me how it's only a mucus plug and we'll be sent back. I thought my waters broke. Well I was right but I didn't get contractions till that evening.

There were no real problems either time but I did want and got epidural for both births. I'm a wuss. :D I'm also too much of an idiot to realize what's going on so I didn't have time to panic. Oh and thanks god for clothes driers. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

1st time, I felt odd all day, I was at a friends get together and I didnt want anything to eat except for pavlova!

I just wanted to be at home, so I left early. When I opened the car door at home I felt a freezing breeze. I realised my waters had broke.

Hospital said come in so I was examined by a doctor who tried everything to convince me there was no way it was my waters. The look on her face when she peered up form down there and announced 'Oh yes, its all gone!'

Labour pains started 1 hour later, I managed till 6cm with the tens, then begged for the epi, which slowed my contractions down, then onto the oxi drip and after an hours pushing she was here!

Second time, I felt odd all day! I only ate a slice of toast. At about 8 I got a few period like pains. At 9:30, they were every 10 mins, so I had a bath. At 10:45 I couldnt talk!
    Arrived at hospital at 11pm, born at 11:20 after 3 pushes. Big shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

I didn't go into labour. Given a sweep, nothing!
    So 11 days over I was brought in,was already 2cm so they broke my waters at 1.30 pm, herself born at 8pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

Started to notice blood first and panicked, but I was losing the plug and didnt realise, then started to get pains, which started getting stronger and 72 hrs later my little boy was born, it was a long process with pains every two mins, was on a drip and couldn't keep any food down, was begging for epi, but wasnt dilated enough, anyway, it was very painful but worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭skit490

5 days over. Got few pains round midnight irrégularité mild contractions. Woke át five contractions mire regular but not too close. Round 11 headed to hosp. Filled in forms wondering why nő 1 else looked in pain like me. Got examined waters hadnt broke n 1cm. Didnt want ÁRM. Thankfully got delivery ward as midwife thought I'd b waitin a while. Think was 6 cm b4 waters broke. Was v quick after that. Got through wit tens n gas n air. Sore but amazing experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Woke at 7am to go to the toilet, Stood up and my waters broke. 7.15 baby boy was born in our bed. He is now 5 months old & doing great. No stiches so didn't have to go to the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

I went into labour on my due date. Had pains all day close enough together then I decided to go to hospital and was told nothing was happening and they said they would give me something for the pain. Half hour later while waiting for pain meds they checked me again and I was 3cm and moved to labour ward. Another 20 mins and I was fully dictated and ready for pushing. Waters didn't go until I was pushing they tried breaking them but didn't work. I didn't have the epidural which is what I wanted all along and luckily no stitches. This was my first baby and seriously fast labour but Jack arrived 17 mins past his due date so just missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

On my first waters broke day before my due date but was only a trickle, I wasn't even sure they had broken so I went to sleep that night and every time I sat up to go out to the loo I felt a little trickle so off we went in the morning to hospital where I was told my waters hadn't broken and was sent home. I trickled all day and then that night lying on couch,eating ice-cream, watching 24, I could feel a bigger trickle and ran for the downstairs loo where my waters gushed out. Changed pants and had another gush and then I think a final gush (no wet knickers that time, I'd learned my lesson! ;-D) At that point I understood what people meant when they said you'll know when your waters go!! Up to that point it was wrecking my head with my little trickle! Labour didn't progress despite me walking up and down corridors all night so was induced next day. Laboured away on gas and air and only got to 2cm so decided my level of pain was too much, got my epidural and fell asleep, woke up and was fully dilated, rested up for an hour before they let me push. I could feel my contractions but no pain, was wonderful! 7lb 14oz healthy girl ;-)

Second one I was induced so water broken artificially and then labour progressed rapidly. Asked for my epidural too late so had bad patch in middle (I just love the gas and air, so much fun using it!) Felt like I had to do a massive bowel movement when I got my epidural. Didn't realise it was the baby's head, lol and said nothing coz I thought I'd just pass my motion and they'd sweep it away as you hear they do! Sensation got worse so I eventually said it and midwife said I was 9cm and not to push but honestly there was no way I couldn't. The minute I started pushing I felt much better even though I was tiring myself out for nothing. Second girl 8lb 4oz was born in about 20 minutes!! Way quicker than the first time think it was about 5-6 hours from start to finish ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Great to hear all your stories ladies, it's just what I need to hear at the moment. Am 38 + 1 and was having what I was sure were contractions last night but then they stopped after 2/3 hours. They were getting stronger and more painful and all but I wasn't sure if it was wishful thinking on my part. Then after getting a particularly strong one they stopped.

It was wrecking my head not knowing. I hate how on TV they get one contraction in the middle of the night and turn to their partner and say "it's time" - so unrealistic!!

Like the OP I wish there was a book that would tell you exactly how you will go into labour :)

Did you get Branson Hicks all along?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

I know the whole way through I had Braxton hicks. Started by 17 weeks nothin major just tightness was only the last 6 weeks they were really noticeable and I had to sit with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Did you get Branson Hicks all along?

haven't got a hugr amount of them and when I have got them there's been no pain or anything, just a tightening feeling :)

Hoping I'm building up to something!

I had them the whole time on number one, but the first labour pain after the waters went was totally different!

My sister had 3 weeks of 'phantom' pains before she was induced on her two. Though she was 'favourable' before both inductions, so something might be happening. Best of Luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    haven't got a hugr amount of them and when I have got them there's been no pain or anything, just a tightening feeling :)

Hoping I'm building up to something!

I started getting them about 4 weeks before I had J, I only went 5 days past due date, mine were intense and uncomfortable, you definetly are building up for the real thing, best of luck.

Advertisement