Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loughrea triathlon

Options
  • 03-06-2013 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi anybody doing or has done loughrea sprint triathlon, I am doing loughrea in august as my first triathlon. How tough is cycle course? Any advice for newbie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dited

Did Loughrea last year, great race altogether. I think the first couple of k were hilly enough, nothing too severe though. Lovely fast section just after that, and then just one more fairly minor hill after, as best I can remember.

Swim was grand, though I think a few years ago it had to be shortened due to adverse weather conditions.

Run is an out and back, slightly uphill on the way out and then downhill to the finish.

Great atmosphere and marshalling, really deserves getting NS status this year IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jdam

Thanks great info, looking forward to doing my first tri

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

jdam wrote: »
    Hi anybody doing or has done loughrea sprint triathlon, I am doing loughrea in august as my first triathlon. How tough is cycle course? Any advice for newbie

The cycle course is hilly but with some good preparation you'll be fine. There is a climb at the start and another around 14km or so in. The run follows the first 2.5km of the cycle course on an out and back route. There is an incline on the way out that will test you but it's fine once you hit the turn.

I've done the triathlon twice, once on a beautiful sunny day and the second was on a horrible day with huge waves. The first year was easy because you could see the sandy bottom below you and knew you could take a break if necessary.

The second year was very tough but it was well marshalled and it was comforting to know you aren't far from the shore.

I hope you get the sunny option.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭eoglyn

its a beginner friendly triathlon - though the swim was shortened in 2011 when i did it - disappointingly in my opinion, as conditions weren't that bad - made it more uncomfortable as they put two waves in together - more people on a shorter course; wasn't good - it was a call that the race director had to make on the day and i understand that but it is also for that reason i won't be doing it again.

People actually cheered when it was announced that it was a a shortened swim, which seems crazy if you've prepared in any way for the swim - for that debate see other thread on triathlon being too open. Get some OW experience before the event with a club or with experienced friends and you'll definitely look forward to it.

The bike is grand, as described by Searay - its a bit up and a bit down - no major hills to be concerned about - likewise the run, its an out and back and a bit of a fall if i remember correctly, on the way out - which was a slight uphill at the end, but overall it was grand - very manageable

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jdam

Thanks searay/eoglyn, after training so hard for so long I would feel cheated if it was shortened, definately need some ow swim

• Advertisement
Advertisement