Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Part-time work with JSA

• 03-06-2013 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi

I know this has been covered a bit and i looked at the link to citizens information but I'm still a little confused

Im on the welfare job seekers allowance (for me my partner and 2 kids) about 2 months and I'm about to take up part time casual work tomorrow (Tuesday)
    I come out with €370 from the welfare at the moment and now I'll be getting €100 per day minus tax PRSI etc. from work for 2-3 days per week and I'm wondering how will this affect my payment from the welfare?

Also do I need to notify the welfare before I take up the work or what?

Any advice would be helpful

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Yes you need to notify the dept,there are forms for you new employer to fill in and return.you will need a new means test.

A rough guide on your €300 from 3 days work.

€300 minus prsi,pension,paye not counted.Total for the means test €260.

260 minus 60(disregard,€20 per day worked) = 200 get 60% of that = €120.Your means for that 3 day week = €120 your JSA payment will be aprox €250

More here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/means_test_for_social_welfare_payments/work_and_jobseekers_allowance.html

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Barrel

mp22 wrote: »
    Yes you need to notify the dept,there are forms for you new employer to fill in and return.you will need a new means test.

A rough guide on your €300 from 3 days work.

260 minus 60(disregard,€20 per day worked) = 200 get 60% of that = €120.Your means for that 3 day week = €120 your JSA payment will be aprox €250

More here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/means_test_for_social_welfare_payments/work_and_jobseekers_allowance.html

Thanks for that I think I'll drop into them in the morning to make sure I do it right ... do you know is there a maximum hourly wage rate and is there a maximum amount of hours you can work per day

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

There is no max hourly rate that I am aware of,but if you are getting 20 or 30 bucks an hour the means test will reflect that.

With regard to the max number of hours worked in a day,there are no set limits,rent allowance which is also means tested states full time work equates to 30 hours a week.You best bet would be to ask in your local office.

mp22 wrote: »
    There is no max hourly rate that I am aware of,but if you are getting 20 or 30 bucks an hour the means test will reflect that.

With regard to the max number of hours worked in a day,there are no set limits,rent allowance which is also means tested states full time work equates to 30 hours a week.You best bet would be to ask in your local office.

Thanks again for that, Ill bring a list of questions with me and i'll see what the craic is in the morning in the local office

I went into my local office today (Blanchardstown) and i was told that i would have to come back Wednesday or Thursday to "hatch 6"

I told the staff member that I had already taken this morning off and I couldn't take another half day off again this week (kidna defeating the purpose of getting the job)

So after a bit of debating i got the staff member to agree to post me out the forms to give to my new employer but if i want info about this or that i have to go to my "hatch 6" either tomorrow or during this week or next week!

Sometimes i wonder what is the story with all the hoops! :(

Anyway, I wonder mp22 if you could roughly calculate for me one more time please, If i was to earn 300 minus tax etc. from the work over two days and im currently getting €370 at the mo ... what would the result be?

Thanks and sorry to keep pestering you mp22 , This is the last time :)

• Advertisement

A rough guide on your €300 from 2 days work.

260 minus 40(disregard,€20 per day worked) = 220 get 60% of that = €132.Your means for that 2 day week = €132 your JSA payment will be aprox €238

Thanks for that :)

OMG I'M SNAPPING My JSA has been suspended because im a casual worker now ... I done 3 days last week no days this week and my earnings from wages on last friday are €251 after tax now thats to do me for my morgtage gas esb food etc etc I was getting €371 last week

I was told "it will be sorted out in a couple of weeks" ???????

THERE IS SOMETHING MAJOR WRONG WITH THIS COUNTRY

my blood is literally boiling

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement