Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happened?

• 03-06-2013 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi my dog died this morning. I had taken him to the vet and he said it was an inner ear infection. My dog kept falling over when walking, this eased off to a head tilt the next day. Dog eventually went off his food, was vomiting. Eat nothing for 4 days only drank water. Last night he vomited up a lot of blood and his mouth smelt like something was decomposing, the smell still lingers. He passed away this morning. Does these sound like anything specific to you? I highly doubt it was just an ear infection. Also there was a tick on him 2-3 weeks ago.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Hi, I'm really sorry for your loss. Did you take him back to the vet after he went off his food and was vomiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Sometimes ear infections can develop into meningitis, so maybe it was something like that? So sorry for your loss. You could ask your vet to send for a post mortum if that would put your mind at ease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Kinzig

Im guessing the ear infection went on to his brain..it can happen in humans as well and is one reason why an ear infection should always treated seriously..

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭ladd19

I just had a gut feeling when leaving the vets that it was more serious than he led me to believe. Now don't get me wrong I am in no way blaming the vet. It was the fact it came on him so suddenly. One day he was jumping around like he was on drugs (his normal self) and the next day he was literally falling over. Parasite maybe? My poor little man wagged his tail to his final minutes. He was 13 years old but he was flying for his age, never had a health problem. I was worried in case he ingested poison or anti-freeze or something similar. Im glad he is not suffering anymore though as it was pretty hard to see him so sick last few days.
    I buried him under the apple tree next to his mom, the two best dogs any man could ask for.

Thanks for the support :)

Advertisement