Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holles or Rotunda

Options
  • 03-06-2013 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I'm just 5 weeks pregnant and trying to decide between Holles or Rotunda (public). I would love to hear from anyone who has experienced one or both of them. I've heard so many horror stories about both hospitals that it is starting to feel like choosing between two evils...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Which is closer?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 _quirky_girl_

They're both equally convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,380 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

We will have our next in Rotunda just for the convenience of parking (don't have to keep going out and feeding a meter 3 euro an hour by coin) and the shops nearby. My wife was always asking me to go out and get her xyz which wasn't so easy as theres not much beside Holles street. There is a Spar not far away but sambo's become old very fast when you are staying all day with the wife.

Holles Street is a training hospital so in theory you should have access to the most modern and best care. I think if there was any complications for that reason I'd prefer to have it in Holles street.

Our first was no probs, so for us, we'll go to the Rotunda mainly for convenience reasons.
    Interested to hear other opinions.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

They are both fine,
    I had 3 in Holles St and they are extremely busy and overworked but the mid wife led unit is lovely.
    It does not matter where you iive but if you are in anyway high risk they will not accept you and it just means that you see a midwife instead of consultant at your visits.
    I choose Holles st because i was born there,I worked in the IFSC so it was only a 10 minute walk and Mount Carmel was too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I gave birth in holles street 6 weeks ago and have nothing but good things to say about it. I was a public patient and saw the same consultant all but once. My clinic was 1pm on a Tuesday, if I arrived at 12.30 to queue for check in I would see the doctor and midwife and be out by 1.15/1.20

I was seriously impressed during the birth. My opinions and wishes were listened to, for example, no coached pushing, they let me do my own thing and they delayed clamping the cord. no questions asked at all. Midwives were really supportive and accommodating and this followed through for my stay after the birth. On the downside the building is outdated but no more so then the Coombe I believe. However I read there are plans for Holles Street to relocate to a site by st Vincent's shortly so that takes care of that. I would not want to give birth in any other hospital for any future children and would definitely stick with public care.

Saying that a friend of mine recently gave birth in the rotunda and has all good things to say too so I suppose you may have to go with your gut!

Maybe if you have any specific questions or worries you could ask and people might be able to help?

• Advertisement

Thank you for all of the replies so far. It's great to hear about good experiences!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Having my second one at the Rotunda at the moment. Busy as hell (as all hospitals are) but excellent care. Midwives are excellent, no complaints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

Is the Coombe out of the question then? I'm attending there for my appointments for now as a public patient. I'm meant to be going home to Donegal in July to have my baby up there but I'm getting such amazing care in the Coombe that I'm having second thoughts as where is best to have my baby. Wouldn't rule it out and at least if you do have a bit to travel, you're not going to be running into major traffic compared to having drive into town to Holles St. and Rotunda.

The Coombe is the least accesible for me. If the care was better than the Rotunda or Holles, I would make the effort. What I'm reading here and elsewhere is making me think that the care is comparable at all three hospitals.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭ameee

I had my first two at the rotunda and Will be having my next one there in November all going well :-) i found them really great not a bad word to say. On my second i was determined to be a bit more in control of my labour as i had an epidural with my first and had to be told when to push. Wanted some much lighter pain relief on my second and ended up with none as it was two hours start to finish and there wasn't time. They were great and took a back seat and let me do my own thing and go with my body which i loved. Great place in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,493 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Supercell wrote: »
    We will have our next in Rotunda just for the convenience of parking (don't have to keep going out and feeding a meter 3 euro an hour by coin) and the shops nearby. My wife was always asking me to go out and get her xyz which wasn't so easy as theres not much beside Holles street. There is a Spar not far away but sambo's become old very fast when you are staying all day with the wife.

Holles Street is a training hospital so in theory you should have access to the most modern and best care. I think if there was any complications for that reason I'd prefer to have it in Holles street.

Our first was no probs, so for us, we'll go to the Rotunda mainly for convenience reasons.
    Interested to hear other opinions.
    If its just for the parking then sign up to parking tag and you lay by text no need to go to the meter and you can claim back through medical insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

I had my 1st in Rotunda & due to have my 2nd there in November. Nothing but praise for them. I'm in Tallaght, so the Coombe is my catchment hospital, but 2 of my friends had problems there so I was reluctant to go there. I didn't go with Holles Street as when I was pregnant on my last, 2 of my work colleagues were attending Holles Street & the queues were dreadful. I was in & out of the midwives clinic in the Rotunda in a half an hour for every appointment (apart from my booking appointment).

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

I'll be having my 3rd public in Holles st in a matter of days (hopefully!) I can echo everything others have said - all good experiences. I always attended the Monday clinic with dr Foley (look at nmh.ie for different consultants for different days) and have never had long queues, am scanned regularly etc. The midwives are amazing. I had 2 consultants present at the birth of my first due to some complications so there is no doubt you'll get the care required - public or private.

I was delighted to see they're moving to donnybrook in 2018 as the staff deserve much better facilities - the building is years years old & was never designed to be a hospital. That said, it has never affected my care.

I've no experience of rotunda.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Prettyblack

Wife had two in Rotunda, both private rooms, the second was during the phase when no visitors, none at all, were allowed. It meant the wards were lovely and quiet but also meant that if I wasn't there she'd have been very lonely.

As for the care, had no problems, sometimes the nurses would be late bringing pain relief, and the food was borderline inedible (she's veggie) but the closeness of the Illac Centre meant that I was able to run out and pick up bagels / sandwiches / coffee (decaf of course!) and so on.

Its a nice hospital, been done up recently, have their own restaurant which is nice enough (just doing breakfast and the like). And the private doctors are very good of course.

Thanks so much everyone for the feedback. I went ahead and booked the Rotunda today. Hoorah!

Advertisement