Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PIO vs DMA

Options
  • 03-06-2013 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭

I've recently installed Windows 7 64bit on a Dell Vostro 400 Desktop and everything went smoothly. After install I checked the Device Manager and it reports no issues. The machine runs just fine but I have encountered an issue today when using ConvertX to convert an AVI file to DVD, It converted just fine but when it goes to burn it just sits there and does nothing.

I'm not sure if this is the problem but I noticed that ConvertX was reporting that my burner was in PIO mode & I think it may need to be set to DMA?

If it does? There in lies my problem. When I go to Device Manager there is no “IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers” appearing in the device manager tree and if I recall correctly that is where you would need to change that?

I don't think Dell have Win 7 Driver support for the Vostro so I'm assuming that windows may have installed it's own generic drivers? Could that be the cause & if so is it possible to change the burner mode from PIO to DMA in the registry?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Did you install chipset drivers? Run the Intel Chipset Device Software utility and see if the missing entry appears in Device Manager.

Also check that "Devices by Type" is set in the View menu of Device Manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Did you install chipset drivers? Run the Intel Chipset Device Software utility and see if the missing entry appears in Device Manager.

Also check that "Devices by Type" is set in the View menu of Device Manager.

The chipset drivers were installed by windows during the initial install & not by me.

I have run that Intel Chipset Device utility you linked to and it reports everything as fine?

Yes, "Devices by Type" is set in the View menu of Device Manager.

So still no joy unfortunately but I appreciate your suggestions ;)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

There's various reasons for a drive to fall back to PIO - among them is bad media but I doubt this is your issue. Of course it can only "fall back" if it was already in DMA mode to begin with. To set DMA mode you'll need to go into the BIOS (F2 on any Dell I've worked on) and scan about in there.

Have a look at Section 3 on this page for reports of others having issues with Dell computers.

Ken

Advertisement