Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Marathon & the organising of road closures

Options
  • 03-06-2013 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,029 ✭✭✭✭

So to begin with, I have no problem with Cork having a marathon, and to anyone who completed it today - well done, there is no way I could run around for that long... However, I must complain about the traffic management in and around cork today.

Unfortunately I had to get from northside to Barracks St, and then back to Hollyhill. I was aware this was going to take some time. However, the amount of time it took, as well as the feedback received from Gardaí/etc left a lot to be desired. When I came to a road that had a Garda on traffic duty, they seemed to be unsure what was open or closed (apart from their own junction) so they were giving contradictory directions. The signs up and about told me how far into the marathon people were, and told me to expect delays, but did not tell me where to go for diversion/etc. And the Cork City Council's website linked to the 2012 route (which I assume is still valid) with no maps/etc. One of the lads at work said the information from Bus Eireann was poor also, not really telling people about the alternative arrangements.

Now I understand that today is a bank holiday, and the marathon is a big draw of tourists into the city, but people still have to work and get around the place, surely it could have been handled a little bit better...

/rant

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭BrianJD

I was speaking to a Guard on Saturday and from what I can gather they were just as frustrated by the lack of information and clarity as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Ampolo

Surely in this day and age you could put up a Google Map of it so people could plan their journeys. It's not like the technology's not there and it's free to use for the council too!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Had similar experience. Had to get to the train station from Douglas. I wangled my way as far as the Clarion and the guard on duty there told me there wasn't a mission of me getting to the station by car. I abandoned car in loading bay there and together with older passenger, we pulled and dragged their luggage to the train.
    Ended up sweaty and frustrated!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,029 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Ampolo wrote: »
    Surely in this day and age you could put up a Google Map of it so people could plan their journeys. It's not like the technology's not there and it's free to use for the council too!

Agreed, the City Council had a list of street names in a rather vague manner. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

The route was made available by the organisers on Google Maps:
    http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/62952652
    Maybe not very well publicised, but it was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,029 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

The route was made available by the organisers on Google Maps:
    http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/62952652
    Maybe not very well publicised, but it was there.

Wasn't on the city council's website (as far as I could see)

Advertisement