Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Injured racing pidgeon

Options
  • 03-06-2013 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Not sure where to post this but I'm sure it'll be moved if need be... I found a racing pidgeon this morning, it looks like its wing is injured so it can't fly. I'm wondering what to do with it, is there someone I can contact, I checked its leg rings hoping for a phone number but nothing so I'm not sure what the procedure is ?? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

bnear wrote: »
    Not sure where to post this but I'm sure it'll be moved if need be... I found a racing pidgeon this morning, it looks like its wing is injured so it can't fly. I'm wondering what to do with it, is there someone I can contact, I checked its leg rings hoping for a phone number but nothing so I'm not sure what the procedure is ?? :confused:

I found a racing pigeon a couple of years ago that had been downed by a hawk or similar hunting bird and there was a little ring on her leg with the owner's phone number on it. He was delighted to get her back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I rescued one last week and brought him to the DSPCA - before I brought him there (its near me) I phoned and asked them what to do with him and they said that I could bring him to them or to any vet and they would know how to read the leg rings and get him back where he belongs.

So a vets, or the local SPCA. If you are keeping him overnight you can give him a bowl of water, some porridge oats and keep him in a box or crate with a blanket over it and a towel in the bottom of it so he has something to grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭bnear

And here is the Irish equivalent.
    http://www.racingpigeon.ie/strays.php

Thanks for that, I went onto the site and put the birds details in so hopefully someone will be in touch.

Thanks for all the helpful replies folk....:)

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, I went onto the site and put the birds details in so hopefully someone will be in touch.

Thanks for all the helpful replies folk....:)

Fair play to you. Let us know how it turns out.

Got a reply email with the owners name and address, hes in Portadown, it said he should be in touch in the next couple of days and if not to get in touch with them again. So hopefully the pidgeon will be heading home soon.:D

Got a reply email with the owners name and address, hes in Portadown, it said he should be in touch in the next couple of days and if not to get in touch with them again. So hopefully the pidgeon will be heading home soon.:D

Wow that was quick! Well done, the owner will be delighted you rescued him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,359 ✭✭✭positron

Fair play bnear. I was going to say there's a house in Wheaton Hall that keeps pigeons if you need any help but good to know the poor bird is no longer lost.

positron wrote: »
    Fair play bnear. I was going to say there's a house in Wheaton Hall that keeps pigeons if you need any help but good to know the poor bird is no longer lost.

Could'nt have done it without all the help from boards, so thanks again everyone... pidgeon owner rang me this morning and is delighted, says its onw of his best birds so he'll be picking him up in the next couple of days..so everyones happy !! Apart from my cat who had other plans for Mr Pidgeon !!!:D

• Advertisement

Could'nt have done it without all the help from boards, so thanks again everyone... pidgeon owner rang me this morning and is delighted, says its onw of his best birds so he'll be picking him up in the next couple of days..so everyones happy !! Apart from my cat who had other plans for Mr Pidgeon !!!:D

This thread makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. Where are you keeping Mr Pigeon and what are you feeding him while he awaits his transportation?

Mr Pidgeon is relaxing in my cat carrier,...... Miss Cat not very happy with the situation at the moment,...... he's dining on wild bird seed and porridge oats with lots of fresh water....... seems happy enough to me.........

Wow - sounds like Pigeon Hilton Heaven! He wont want to go back to his owner lol!

Advertisement