Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free climbing a crane. I nearly vomited

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

gifted wrote: »
    sorry...apologies to all knobheads out there...bollix deserves to fall to his death :D

At least he will have lived his way before he dies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Bruthal wrote: »
    So, you believe a good percentage of the population will manage to climb a crane, and hang by one hand, regularly without falling, until into their 70's?

I don't see why not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I don't see why not.

Enough said.

We don't see him climb back up from his position hanging from the bar. Not an easy feat I wouldn't imagine, for a young man, never mind an elderly man.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Kingkong

I have done and will continue do things that put my life at risk. If we didnt we would be very boring.....but I would never put someone else in harms directly or indirectly.

The guy climbing the Crane over the freeway in LA is a complete idot, at least the other guy did it over a harbour.

I also dont agree with trepassing and illegally climbing a crane. That crane worker in the morning could be haunted for life knowing some young lad fell to his death on his crane and could blame himself for not locking the access door etc....

There is always a ripply effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Play To Kill

Kingkong wrote: »
    The guy climbing the Crane over the freeway in LA is a complete idot, at least the other guy did it over a harbour.

Its the same guy in both, he seems to these things regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Gaspode wrote: »
    Worse to watch than anything thats come up on the nope thread in a while. Sweaty palms all around.

Moms spaghetti

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭MrPoker

This guy even crazier. Seems to be a popular activity in Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Well you compared hanging from a crane by one arm as seen in the video, to doing pull ups. So safety assessment wouldnt seem to be your best attribute anyway.

Well they're both basic activities where you grab onto a bar and rely on your upper body and core strength to raise and lower yourself. You don't need a great deal of balance or skill or dexterity or luck to accomplish either safely. The main difference is that if you mess up something like a push-up you'll look like a twat, whereas if you mess up something like hanging off a crane by one hand you'll look like a splat. That's a difference in the consequences of something going wrong, not necessarily a noticeable difference in the likelihood of something going wrong.
    I doubt that really. Any normal parent would be horrified beyond belief to see a son doing what is done in that video. Anyone that does that type of thing is likely going to do more and more dangerous stuff.
    Every normal parent would be horrified just as the majority of the people commenting here were horrified, because of cognitive bias. I'm not saying I'd be happy to see a child of mine messing about on a crane, but there are bigger risks out there.

If every child that climbed a tree did whats seen in the crane video instead, there would be a few more deaths than happens from the tree climbing.
    You mean if every child hung off of branches from time to time? You're probably right, a child probably would have difficulty pulling itself back up safely and easily, a grown man who clearly works out and presumably climbs regularly doesn't have quite the same concerns.
    It was not just doing pull ups where you stand on the ground, reach up and grip a bar, and pull yourself up, it was walking out to the end of a crane, and climbing down onto a spar, and hang by one hand.

Your comparison between doing pull ups, and swinging by one hand from a crane, is a little bizarre.
    Imagine he was doing it two metres off the ground instead of 200, would you expect him to fall? Personally, it wouldn't even cross my mind.

Regular smokers often live the full life term, just not as comfortably as a non smoker on average. A regular climb of a crane and swinging by one hand will very likely mean an early death.
    Besides the fact that you're just guessing about the life expectancy of free climbers I'm very curious as to what you mean by 'the full life term' and I shudder to think what 'not as comfortably' actually means.

A real son however, and the daily crane climbing/swinging might just be a little more troubling for you, than if he was doing pull ups.
    Well I never said climbing cranes was dangerous as pull-ups, I said it was less dangerous than smoking. And you know what, if the hypothetical son actually climbed a crane and hung off by one hand EVERY SINGLE DAY, 365 days a year from the age of say 18 up to the point of his death be it at 19 or 91 then I can concede that there's a fairly good chance the crane swinging could be the cause of his death - I don't know if it'd be a one in two chance like smoking though because no one has ever lived a like quite like that. And in that crazy scenario climbing in adverse conditions such as wind and rain (which you would have to face if you were climbing EVERY SINGLE DAY) would be more of a cause for concern than hanging off by one hand.

Also, the guy who smokes regularly has a 50% chance of dying. The guy who climbs the occasional crane on a calm sunny day has an unknown chance of dying but it's probably not as high as 50% (how many free-climbing crane deaths have you heard of?).

The smoker however has an almost 100% chance that his quality of life will be impaired by poor lung capacity or foul odour or just from spending all his money on fags.
    Crane climber guy benefits from a regular work out and a nice view up until the point where he slips and dies or stops climbing or dies from lung cancer brought on by second hand smoke.

Also, the guy who smokes regularly has a 50% chance of dying. The guy who climbs the occasional crane on a calm sunny day has an unknown chance of dying but it's probably not as high as 50% (how many free-climbing crane deaths have you heard of?).

The smoker however has an almost 100% chance that his quality of life will be impaired by poor lung capacity or foul odour or just from spending all his money on fags.
    Crane climber guy benefits from a regular work out and a nice view up until the point where he slips and dies or stops climbing or dies from lung cancer brought on by second hand smoke.

A smoker has 100% chance of dying. As does the crane climber. As does a non smoker.

• Advertisement

Well they're both basic activities where you grab onto a bar and rely on your upper body and core strength to raise and lower yourself. You don't need a great deal of balance or skill or dexterity or luck to accomplish either safely. The main difference is that if you mess up something like a push-up you'll look like a twat, whereas if you mess up something like hanging off a crane by one hand you'll look like a splat. That's a difference in the consequences of something going wrong, not necessarily a noticeable difference in the likelihood of something going wrong.

Every normal parent would be horrified just as the majority of the people commenting here were horrified, because of cognitive bias. I'm not saying I'd be happy to see a child of mine messing about on a crane, but there are bigger risks out there.

You mean if every child hung off of branches from time to time? You're probably right, a child probably would have difficulty pulling itself back up safely and easily, a grown man who clearly works out and presumably climbs regularly doesn't have quite the same concerns.

Imagine he was doing it two metres off the ground instead of 200, would you expect him to fall? Personally, it wouldn't even cross my mind.

Besides the fact that you're just guessing about the life expectancy of free climbers I'm very curious as to what you mean by 'the full life term' and I shudder to think what 'not as comfortably' actually means.

Well I never said climbing cranes was dangerous as pull-ups, I said it was less dangerous than smoking. And you know what, if the hypothetical son actually climbed a crane and hung off by one hand EVERY SINGLE DAY, 365 days a year from the age of say 18 up to the point of his death be it at 19 or 91 then I can concede that there's a fairly good chance the crane swinging could be the cause of his death - I don't know if it'd be a one in two chance like smoking though because no one has ever lived a like quite like that. And in that crazy scenario climbing in adverse conditions such as wind and rain (which you would have to face if you were climbing EVERY SINGLE DAY) would be more of a cause for concern than hanging off by one hand.

O I think if you suddenly came upon a son dangling from a crane, you would not be so unconcerned. Boards often seems to produce posts not based on real life, and if a hypothetical son becomes a real one, views might then become more realistic. But perhaps not in this case.

A smoker has 100% chance of dying. As does the crane climber. As does a non smoker.

Yeah, but the smoker is very likely to die of something relating to smoking, we can't necessarily say the same for crane climbers.
    O I think if you suddenly came upon a son dangling from a crane, you would not be so unconcerned. Boards often seems to produce posts not based on real life, and if a hypothetical son becomes a real one, views might then become more realistic. But perhaps not in this case.

I never said I wouldn't be concerned, I just said I would be more concerned about a child of mine taking up smoking.
    Would you not be concerned if a hypothetical child of yours became addicted to cigarettes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Video in OP unsettled my stomach somewhat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Do we really class climbing a ladder as free climbing?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Sure once he's over the water, he'll be grand if he falls :D

Also, the guy who smokes regularly has a 50% chance of dying. The guy who climbs the occasional crane on a calm sunny day has an unknown chance of dying but it's probably not as high as 50%
    A person who only has one smoke on an occasional calm sunny day will probably not have too much difficulty.
    how many free-climbing crane deaths have you heard of.
    How many of these crane climbers do you know?
    How many smokers do you know?
    Well if second hand smoke is going to kill us all, then it would seem being a smoker is not a lot more risky than being a non smoker.

Yeah, but the smoker is very likely to die of something relating to smoking, we can't necessarily say the same for crane climbers.
    Or base jumers, isle of man tt racers, wingsuit gliding. But it does not mean smoking is more dangerous.

I never said I wouldn't be concerned, I just said I would be more concerned about a child of mine taking up smoking.
    If you had a real one, and seen him dangling from that crane, that might be more of a reality check than you seem to believe.
    Would you not be concerned if a hypothetical child of yours became addicted to cigarettes?
    I would, but would that then mean that I believe smoking is the most dangerous activity known to man?

I would, but would that then mean that I believe smoking is the most dangerous activity known to man?
    It is.... In my opinion. So that's a pretty healthy belief to have!

It is.... In my opinion. So that's a pretty healthy belief to have!

To mankind, it may be one of them alright, but to an individual, not really. Id imagine a game of russian roulette once a week would be more dangerous to a man than smoking 40 a day. Not that many would be playing russian roulette though.

To mankind, it may be one of them alright, but to an individual, not really. Id imagine a game of russian roulette once a week would be more dangerous to a man than smoking 40 a day. Not that many would be playing russian roulette though.

I'd imagine a game of Russian roulette once a week would be more dangerous to a man than climbing cranes - so what's your point?

I'd imagine a game of Russian roulette once a week would be more dangerous to a man than climbing cranes - so what's your point?

Whats yours? I think I made my point. Most normal people would be far more horrified to see their teenage son swinging 250 feet up from a crane, than catching them smoking.

But maybe you wouldnt, because you know smoking is more dangerous, probably causing their death in 40 years time, where as on the crane, he will be grand.

• Advertisement

MrPoker wrote: »
    This guy even crazier. Seems to be a popular activity in Russia.

Mad in the head alright:)

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

this video needs to be in the Nope thread :eek:

Most normal people would be far more horrified to see their teenage son swinging 250 feet up from a crane, than catching them smoking.

You keep spouting these sweeping assumptions about people and the notion that they'll somehow come to harm sooner from climbing up a crane!
    You've gotten yourself in quite a hole today, and this back and forth rehtoric is going nowhere so I'll bow out. Unfollowing thread. Cool video OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Why free climb and dangle off a crane when you can climb a climbing wall with a safety harness? Why parkour across a skyline when you could walk safely along the footpath? Why parachute? Why base jump? Why do anything that doesn't involve being wrapped in cotton wool?

The guy is putting his life in danger, but dammit it is impressive. If nobody did anything with any risk involved, we would be a right boring lot.

You keep spouting these sweeping assumptions about people and the notion that they'll somehow come to harm sooner from climbing up a crane!
    Spouting? No, just posting an opinion.

You've gotten yourself in quite a hole today
    Have I? I guess you dont realise its a little boards discussion, not a murder trial. So I think I will be ok.
    I'll bow out. Unfollowing thread
    Yes, run away quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Thread is done methinks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement