Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full site to include 'Touch Site' footer

Options
  • 03-06-2013 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if this has already been suggested, I did do a search!

Was just wondering if there could be a link at the bottom/top of the Forumdisplay.php and Showthread.php pages for 'Touch Site' access. I find my mobile really, really, slow browsing the regular site so when people send me links to the regular version of the site when I'm on Touch, it's awkward to maneuver their links.

Essentially, just as the touch site has 'Full site' on its footer, it'd be nice to have that the other way round when on the full site.

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

It took me a few reads of that to understand it, lol, but does the browser on your phone not auto-detect and parse links when you click on them to direct you from the full site back to the touch site?

I know chrome on android does it (when you're on the touch site and you click on a desktop site formatted link in a thread), but in Opera on my Nokia N8 there's no auto-detection so the full desktop site opens which is as you say Gordon is slow to render as a tortoise on a zimmer frame, so it'd have to be a touch site link placed permanently in the footer (somewhere along the copyright text line links maybe?), that'd take you to the same thread rendered on touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Yeah, I'm on iOS on an iPhone and when I click on a link that is like http://www.boards.ie/thread then it directs to the full site. So my iPhone doesn't auto detect, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Gordon wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm on iOS on an iPhone and when I click on a link that is like http://www.boards.ie/thread then it directs to the full site. So my iPhone doesn't auto detect, no.
    I'm on android and occasionally i need to go to the full site for mod purposes. Changing back is a pain in the ass. I need to close the window and open a new browser session to launch the touch site from a bookmark. Then try to find the page I was on in the first place. Having a touch site link would be much desirable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Boards.ie: Rónán

Was just wondering if there could be a link at the bottom/top of the Forumdisplay.php and Showthread.php pages for 'Touch Site' access.
    Czarcasm wrote: »
    so it'd have to be a touch site link placed permanently in the footer (somewhere along the copyright text line links maybe?), that'd take you to the same thread rendered on touch.

We could look at a "Touch Site" link addition to the footer. Perhaps using device detection to control display so it's only presented to users browsing on a mobile device.

I'll add it to the list. We've quite a full plate at the moment, but might be able to squeeze it in to our next round of touch updates.

Thanks for the feedback.

It's likely you've the touch "off" cookie enabled, clearing cookies should sort that problem. Any further issues just let us know.

We could look at a "Touch Site" link addition to the footer. Perhaps using device detection to control display so it's only presented to users browsing on a mobile device.

I'll add it to the list. We've quite a full plate at the moment, but might be able to squeeze it in to our next round of touch updates.

Thanks for the feedback.

It's likely you've the touch "off" cookie enabled, clearing cookies should sort that problem. Any further issues just let us know.
    Cheers mate!

Yeah, if I delete cookies I auto direct to touch site when someone points me to a full site link, nice one! However, if I manually click on 'full site' as I may do for modding duties, I can't get that touch 'on' cookie back. No bother though, cheers :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Boards.ie: Rónán

Cheers mate!

Yeah, if I delete cookies I auto direct to touch site when someone points me to a full site link, nice one! However, if I manually click on 'full site' as I may do for modding duties, I can't get that touch 'on' cookie back. No bother though, cheers :)

No problem! We're working on a "touch" link for the desktop site footer, only displayed when we detect a mobile device, which will do the inverse of the existing full site link on touch. Again I cant give any timeline for this unfortunately, but watch this space!

Echellente, cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Boards.ie: Alvis

Afternoon Gordon,

Just to let you know that the touch site link is now available in the footer when you're browsing the desktop site on a mobile device.

It'll be next to the "Contact Us" link.

Let us know if there are any problems.

Thanks!

Oh that's brilliant, thanks, I just tested and it works great. Thank you, and hello, I don't think I've seen you around before :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Excellent. Works here too. Thanks guys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Could somebody point me in the general direction of the Touch Site link on the Desktop Site when I'm on mobile?

I seem to be missing it somehow (See attached; these screencaps are zoomed in on the relevant areas).

Nokia N8 phone, Symbian Belle Refresh, using Opera Mobile version 12.

The text wraps to fit the screen when I zoom in.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement