Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Paper 1 Debate

Options
  • 03-06-2013 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hey I'm just wondering about the speech in personal writing. My teacher forgot to give me the introduction sentence it goes like 'chairperson adjudicator.. etc' I'm just wondering if anyone could tell me it or if it's even needed in the exam.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

Just say something similar to:

Chairperson, adjudicators and members of the audience, I'm John Doe and I'm talking to you today about social networks and the impact they have on young people. I am against the motion/social networks because...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭The Union Forever

In my opinion, it is definitely not needed for the exam. Most speeches written by JCers all start formally with the same boring phrase. Your examiner would be more interested in your answer if you did something different. Remember, first impressions are everything. Your opening line/paragraph should be used to draw the reader into your piece of writing (a hook).

Try using other persuasive techniques.
    - Quotations (e.g. According to...)
    - Rhetorical questions (rule of three)
    - Listings (rule of three)

Out of all the techniques you could use though, I'd recommend that you begin your debate with an anecdote. It's a different way of starting your debate and you'll stand out because of it instead of the usual, "Ladies and Gentlemen, I'm here today to address the issue, blah blah blah..."

After this opening, you could then formally address yourself to your audience and get to the main points of your debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Jack_OLantern

I agree with The Union Forever. Begin with, "Ladies and Gentlemen, before I deliver my speech, I would like to ask you a simple question. Does social networking harm teenagers? We on the proposition/opposition believe that it does/doesn't, as I will show under my 3 main points. Firstly...., Secondly....., Thirdly.....,

Something like that, although I think that if you do start with Chairperson, Adjudicators, Ladies and Gentlemen, that's acceptable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 EdXD

Is the ending for the speech same as the debate

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AulBiddy

Start off with an introduction to the question like a statement, a quote or a question towards the topic and THEN the whole adjudicator chairperson bit. Something that will interest the examiner or make them think

• Advertisement
Advertisement