Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customs

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

So yes to a LV knock-off but not to a plain bag that isn't masquerading as designer, oui?
    As long as any relevant import duty is paid, oui.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Coutinho 10

Talk to Joe get it off your chest on the national airwaves. I'm sure Joe will be able to sort it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

They may simply have been trying to save you from your own terrible taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

I didn't know the Irish customs were such an effective taste police. A good use of our tax Euros I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 RickyRoss

But
    But
    But

*sighs* ill just go into Hmv and buy a pair of overpriced beats and into sunglasses hut to buy some glasses for a gazillion euros ............

Oh wait ........Hmv does not exist anymore !!!!!

Sooo I have to buy it from china I have no choice!!! Ha!!!!

I got a letter saying bla bla bla and all that ****e.

But should I not be allowed to pay a fine or something and get my fake goods back??? I'm not reselling.

I just see my self getting a good deal ps the quality on the beats are nearly identical even better than the reals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

Consider yourself lucky, if you bought actual Beats and Raybans, the VAT due would be more than you just lost by losing the counterfeits.
    Buying dodgy gear is a risk, and while I don't buy the "counterfiet goods cost jobs" argument. It's good to see that customs are doing their job, I've got stung by them several times this year already though, and it's not much fun, last bill was E200 for VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

I may be "Out of the loop" here but.

Do Dr Dre (or whatever) have some kind of special magic ingredient that makes the music that comes out of them just awesome?

Or is it just a pathetic fashion statement.

Nino Brown wrote: »
    Consider yourself lucky, if you bought actual Beats and Raybans, the VAT due would be more than you just lost by losing the counterfeits.
    Buying dodgy gear is a risk, and while I don't buy the "counterfiet goods cost jobs" argument. It's good to see that customs are doing their job, I've got stung by them several times this year already though, and it's not much fun, last bill was E200 for VAT.

Wow wow wow!!!! 2 hundredorooonies !!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Shíte in an envelope and send it to them

With return address on the back of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,426 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

cml387 wrote: »

Do Dr Dre (or whatever) have some kind of special magic ingredient that makes the music that comes out of them just awesome?

70% fashion statement,30% magic ingredient.

• Advertisement

Yup thats it really Pathetic fashion statement *covers face*

But in my defence I ordered them for my son (he is 14 so it matters) ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I'm struggling to see the issue here.

You knowingly broke the law, and are now complaining about the authorities doing their job and catching you, and, I think, suggesting you should be allowed to get away with it because it's only a minor crime.

Have I got that right?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

AFAIK They have no magic.
    The Beats by Dr Dre Studio Headphones feature exceptionally plush ear pads - essential for feeling the music rather than the headphones. They're equipped with a convenient 1.3-metre cable incorporating an advanced Quadripole 4 twisted pair construction technique. The result is balanced sound, extreme clarity, and fantastic durability.
    FFS Quadripole" as in 4 wires. So not even co-ax then ?
    Presumably a pair of Twisted pair, like you get from the pound shop.

And probably Oxygen Free Copper and Gold Plating.

TBH some people have been wiring up their own digital speakers for years. And by that I mean having many coils of wire on the cone with weightings for current / turns so the analog to digital conversion happens in the speaker itself.

Or at least take in the digital signal and convert it in the speakers where you have full control of the whole process.

Otherwise you are esentially using the same single coil that has always been used for speakers since the year dot.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,426 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

AFAIK They have no magic.

FFS Quadripole" as in 4 wires. So not even co-ax then ?
    Presumably a pair of Twisted pair, like you get from the pound shop.

And probably Oxygen Free Copper and Gold Plating.

TBH some people have been wiring up their own digital speakers for years. And by that I mean having many coils of wire on the cone with weightings for current / turns so the analog to digital conversion happens in the speaker itself.

Or at least take in the digital signal and convert it in the speakers where you have full control of the whole process.

Otherwise you are esentially using the same single coil that has always been used for speakers since the year dot.

Yeah.

I'm struggling to see the issue here.

You knowingly broke the law, and are now complaining about the authorities doing their job and catching you, and, I think, suggesting you should be allowed to get away with it because it's only a minor crime.

Have I got that right?

My issue is if you scroll up. Why are vendors allowed to sell fake snap backs and fake Gucci and fake lv and during Xmas beats aswell as an array of other things such a fags etc.

And that's blind sided but it's "illegal" to buy a product which I want to use?? Not resell not make profit just a identical product that's cheaper and more in my budget.

Here I don't even want to argue to much now

I have a steaming pile of ****e I need to gift wrap.

Thanks guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭blinkey 101

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    As good a job? The fake raybans are just a bit of coloured glass/plastic, probably no different to the ones sold by the street traders in the Med preying on the tourists. As for the Beats, all you have bought as a very cheap pair of headphones with a Beats logo.

And that's why customs took them off you. Either that, or you bought them outside the EU, and they want their cut.

sounds like someone was stupid enough to pay trough the nose for a "real" pair of rb by your tone :cool: .I bought a fake pair of rb AAA and I can assure you there is no difference real/fake ones and for a fraction of the price .

replicas all the way :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

RickyRoss wrote: »
    My issue is if you scroll up. Why are vendors allowed to sell fake snap backs and fake Gucci and fake lv and during Xmas beats aswell as an array of other things such a fags etc.

They aren't allowed sell them, just just haven't got caught yet - report them and they will get lifted.
    RickyRoss wrote: »
    And that's blind sided but it's "illegal" to buy a product which I want to use?? Not resell not make profit just a identical product that's cheaper and more in my budget.

Its "illegal" to buy an illegal product, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

They were doing their job and that's just tough for people who knowingly (or unwitingly, as it happens) buy illegal knock-offs OP.

But, I wonder OP, did you have the glasses and headphones in your luggage? Boxed and all I guess?? Because, surely if you had strolled off the plane wearing them both, customs wouldn't have batted an eyelid.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Always remove tags and packaging before packing your ill gotten gains.

They aren't allowed sell them, just just haven't got caught yet - report them and they will get lifted.

Its "illegal" to buy an illegal product, yes.

Report them?? Nah I can't do that tbh I don't have time. But I'm sure many people have but like I said they are still selling

It's illegal i guess you win some loose some Is the case.

• Advertisement
Advertisement