Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recycling Banks Overflowing

Options
  • 03-06-2013 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

How are they getting away with this? Every time I got to the bottle recycling bank across from Priory Hall apartments, the bottle banks are overflowing. Now usually it's just the brown ones that are full to the brim and there is usually a box, or two left beside the bin with bottles in them, but today was a disgrace.

There were at least 2 dozen boxes and bags left all around the bins with bottles and jars (many of them broken). All the bins were full with just a little bit of room left in the green bin. I stuffed what I could into the correct bins, but I had to unload about 12 brown bottles into the nearly full green bottle bin and nearly fell over into a pile of broken glass while doing it.

They fine people for leaving boxes there, but what the hell are people supposed to do? A couple of times I drove to the recycling bins at Tesco, in Clarehall when the ones at Priory Hall were over flowing, but these are very often full too. People are trying to recycle and this is very off-putting and not to mention dangerous. Is there a solution to this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,365 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Same at the bins at Dolphin's Barn fire station today. And not far off overflowing at Superquinn Sundrive, which I went to having resisted lining my bottles up like everyone else on the footpath at Dolphin's Barn!

I suspect it's the combination of a sunny weekend, and a bank holiday.

But they really should be able to anticipate/react when this happens - God knows it's rare enough!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

goz83 wrote: »
    How are they getting away with this? Every time I got to the bottle recycling bank across from Priory Hall apartments, the bottle banks are overflowing. Now usually it's just the brown ones that are full to the brim and there is usually a box, or two left beside the bin with bottles in them, but today was a disgrace.
    ?
    There were at least 2 dozen boxes and bags left all around the bins with bottles and jars (many of them broken). All the bins were full with just a little bit of room left in the green bin. I stuffed what I could into the correct bins, but I had to unload about 12 brown bottles into the nearly full green bottle bin and nearly fell over into a pile of broken glass while doing it.

They fine people for leaving boxes there, but what the hell are people supposed to do? A couple of times I drove to the recycling bins at Tesco, in Clarehall when the ones at Priory Hall were over flowing, but these are very often full too. People are trying to recycle and this is very off-putting and not to mention dangerous. Is there a solution to this?
    Sure all you have to do is look at the apartments in Priory Hall, and you'll see the level of planning from Dublin City Council!

The overflowing bottle banks is not a surprise really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Sure all you have to do is look at the apartments in Priory Hall, and you'll see the level of planning from Dublin City Council!

The overflowing bottle banks is not a surprise really!

DCC don't look after the bottle bins, rehab recycle do

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Mr Simpson wrote: »
    DCC don't look after the bottle bins, rehab recycle do

Do they issue licences for the collection of the bottle banks?

If so why is it not a condition that they would have at least one collection every long weekend, when the banks are always overflowing.

It's the same in every town, a shame really!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Drop a message to the bottle bank operator.

If there is a litter issue, drop a line to the local litter warden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Here's a question: when people see the bins are overflowing and there's no room, like on a bank holiday weekend, why do they leave the glass anyway, instead of bringing it home again?
    They may think they're being good citizens, but they're not, they're just leaving boxes and bags of glass on the pavement.
    I've a bottle bank near my house and sometimes kids smash the bottles left lying around - it's really horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

quaalude wrote: »
    Here's a question: when people see the bins are overflowing and there's no room, like on a bank holiday weekend, why do they leave the glass anyway, instead of bringing it home again?
    They may think they're being good citizens, but they're not, they're just leaving boxes and bags of glass on the pavement.
    I've a bottle bank near my house and sometimes kids smash the bottles left lying around - it's really horrible.

They might have to make several trips before finding the bottle bank suitable to take more bottles. Lets face it; people are not going to recycle if they have to make more than one trip to the bottle bank. it's a chore as it is. I personally would not leave them beside the bins, but sometimes I have to put the wrong bottles into the wrong bin.

Advertisement