Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Question on Geography Paper

Options
  • 03-06-2013 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hey! So you know for the study of the light industry and heavy industry? Do you need to learn both?
    My geography teacher told me to learn both, and I just learned one (light, PC Pro) ...but I don't see that a question has asked you specifically for a heavy industry before?
    Is there much point in me learning it now?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Pwee2029

claryfray wrote: »
    Hey! So you know for the study of the light industry and heavy industry? Do you need to learn both?
    My geography teacher told me to learn both, and I just learned one (light, PC Pro) ...but I don't see that a question has asked you specifically for a heavy industry before?
    Is there much point in me learning it now?

It says in my book (geo) that higher level students must learn two. I've studied both and imo Rusal Aughinish - heavy industry, fits in well to all the question asked about manufacturing industry. (2010, 2008)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭claryfray

Pwee2029 wrote: »
    It says in my book (geo) that higher level students must learn two. I've studied both and imo Rusal Aughinish - heavy industry, fits in well to all the question asked about manufacturing industry. (2010, 2008)

We did Irish Cement of Plaitin as our heavy industry. Yeah I know it says that but its only ever asked for either or ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

I only did one industry ... you only need one. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭LawdyLad

Just do one because the question usually comes like so; Referring to a factory/industry you have studied, Describe its inputs, processes and outputs.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭KatieG6

Would it ever ask you to write about a light industry or a heavy industry? I mean like would it ever say 'name a heavy industry that you have studied and name its inputs processes and outputs' or would it just say 'name a industry that you have studied and name its inputs processes and outputs'.
    I want to learn one of them but I'm scared if I learn a light industry and then look at the exam and it says to mention a heavy industry.

• Advertisement

KatieG6 wrote: »
    Would it ever ask you to write about a light industry or a heavy industry? I mean like would it ever say 'name a heavy industry that you have studied and name its inputs processes and outputs' or would it just say 'name a industry that you have studied and name its inputs processes and outputs'.
    I want to learn one of them but I'm scared if I learn a light industry and then look at the exam and it says to mention a heavy industry.
    I'm learning one, so you shouldn't have anything to worry about, if the other one comes up, you're not the only one screwed :rolleyes:.

It's really not that hard to learn both but you can learn one. They'll never ask you "name a heavy industry..." Or "name a light industry..."

Pwee2029 wrote: »
    It's really not that hard to learn both but you can learn one. They'll never ask you "name a heavy industry..." Or "name a light industry..."

It's really hard if you hlave thousands of other things to learn :(

sorry, i guess it is different for everyone. good luck :cool:

Agreed. Its takes me forever to learn things, really bad memory.
    The majority of people on this website seems to be A+++ students XD

• Advertisement

I'm not a A+++ student :(.

Same ;)
    In class I pretty much always get A's and B's but that's short-term learning. I didn't do as well in the mocks. I am just physically incapable of remembering that much information :/

I'm the same :( I know right? They all say they'd be happy with an A and there's me happy if I get a B :O

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

Stop lying Arnie ;)

Could anybody please give a sample answer on the question 'why did this town locate here' for geography. It's greatly appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭cfc.forever

Well why a town would locate in a specific place could be a majority of reasons, you didn't give a specific town, so I can't really help you there, but is there a map or anything to assist you with it? If so think of locational factors. Was the town near water? Was the town near other towns? Was there plenty of land for property? Use your head and you'll be grand!

Well why a town would locate in a specific place could be a majority of reasons, you didn't give a specific town, so I can't really help you there, but is there a map or anything to assist you with it? If so think of locational factors. Was the town near water? Was the town near other towns? Was there plenty of land for property? Use your head and you'll be grand!

Just a general answer. Like could you please name facts for what you'd write for a town near a river and a town near another town.
    e.g for one near water -drinking water. I want to learn a few reasons why a town would locate there just incase it comes up on the day because I never know to answer that question. Thanks for your help, I need all the help I can get for geography :)

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Cr4pSnip3r

Could anybody please give a sample answer on the question 'why did this town locate here' for geography. It's greatly appreciated

Eh, I'd say:

River - Good for trade (at least in ye olde times) and source of water for washing and drinking.

Nodal Point - It's atop a connection of roads, which probably encouraged nucleated settlement and the further building of other homes until the town built up.

Bridging Point - The town is at a point where a bridge connects one side of the river to the other. This would have made the town a good spot for trade and defence.

Well-drained - The land the town is built upon is well drained and so foundations can be built. (Lines of blue will indicated badly drained land.)

Low-lying - The town is at a low altitude, as indicated by the contours and other forms of altitude indicators (spot heights etc.)

Aspect - The town is located at the south side of a mountain or hill, meaning it receives more sunlight.

Good farm land (slightly spoofy) - There are no coniferous trees in the town, but they are all located at "Blah Blah Blah", which means the town was built upon the best land in the local area.

Cr4pSnip3r wrote: »
    Eh, I'd say:

River - Good for trade (at least in ye olde times) and source of water for washing and drinking.

Nodal Point - It's atop a connection of roads, which probably encouraged nucleated settlement and the further building of other homes until the town built up.

Bridging Point - The town is at a point where a bridge connects one side of the river to the other. This would have made the town a good spot for trade and defence.

Well-drained - The land the town is built upon is well drained and so foundations can be built. (Lines of blue will indicated badly drained land.)

Low-lying - The town is at a low altitude, as indicated by the contours and other forms of altitude indicators (spot heights etc.)

Aspect - The town is located at the south side of a mountain or hill, meaning it receives more sunlight.

Good farm land (slightly spoofy) - There are no coniferous trees in the town, but they are all located at "Blah Blah Blah", which means the town was built upon the best land in the local area.
    Alright sure, heres a sample answer, no pressure here I'll do the best I can.

The town located here due to the following reasons it was near a river which would enable the settlers to drink water, wash clothes and even possibly get fish from the water. A town may locate somewhere because the land is flat and is a good method of farming. The town may have located in a specific place because it is near an area which is full of mountains or nice scenery. Theres a few points anyways, I'm no master at Geography but maybe you could put those points into a good answer.

Thanks a MILLION for your help :) I really appreciate it, lets just hope this question comes up on the day :P

Advertisement