Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Auctioneer Fees for House Sale?

Options
  • 03-06-2013 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anybody has any idea as to what fees auctioneers charge for a house sale?Are they still continuing to charge between 0.8-1.5 % of the house sale price?I think the whole fee based on a percentage of the house sale is unfair,shopping around at the present.Is there any regulations in relation to their fees?Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

1.25 to 1.75 percent of sale price, plus advertising fees was what we found in general.

No regulation that I know of for pricing.

You can always try to show it yourself. We did that for a while, but couldn't keep up with all the time off work for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

What kind of regulation would there be in relation to fees???
    Hire an estate agent pay the fees or dont hire one....simples.

What other industries have regulated fees? builders? solicitors?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Doop wrote: »
    What kind of regulation would there be in relation to fees???
    Hire an estate agent pay the fees or dont hire one....simples.

What other industries have regulated fees? builders? solicitors?

I am quite capable of understanding my options in relation to the hiring of an auctioneer.In relation to the regulations you have miscontrued my query,I was wondering if as for the law society the fees had to itemised,listed,explained and consented to as would be best practice with all the worst excesses of the property boom.Transparency and prevention of overcharging were my sole concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I found their fees to be extortionate where I used to live, and there was no negotiation as all EAs had conveniently the same commission. plus the advertising fees being extra were very large to be honest. I have looked around at houses since selling my own and found them not anyway worth what they charge and all that came to see my gaff were delighted not to have to deal with an EA because they never showed the house well.....said it all really as mine sold but nothing else in the estate did.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Yes totally agreed price fixing/cartels seem to operate in all urban areas,I am amazed that the competition authority have never investigated it.I suppose price fixing is very hard to prove.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

A lot of auctioneers have abondoned the percentage approach in favour of a fixed price approach- aka EUR1500 for the first 100k, +500 for the next 50k etc......

Ask. Its not as if they're up to their eyes- most self respecting auctioneers will be more than happy to negotiate fees with you.

Advertisement