Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old style sweet shop business

Options
  • 03-06-2013 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello, I was walking past one of these old style sweet shops like mr Simms today and thought what a goo business they are. What profi margin are they making in their sweet? They seem to be popping up all over but I have noticed that a good few of these shops are closing down. What do the entrepreneurs on boards think?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

I view them as a Fad ........nothing more, not a good long term investment in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭traineeacc

Profit margin is reasonably good up to 70% for some pieces however its a high volume business and without selling the quantity it cannot work. Also agree with above post, very faddy and perhaps bordering on the luxury item albeit its low value and clearing non essential purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 4 new.start

So I'm guessing that ye don't think I should set up one. I'm
    Thinking of setting up one that's. Bright and not dull like mr Simms shops

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

One of these shops is closing down/has closed down in past day or 2 in Ennis, Co Clare. Always looked quite busy. Would you consider contacting business owners in similar sized areas to the one you have in mind and sussing them out (making it clear you're not setting up in competition with them!)? I'd agree with other posters who reckon they're a fad, great for one or two 'novelty' visits but not as a regular haunt in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Would places like Dealz be hitting their business. There's not much competition from the 4 supermarkets, they are only interested in supplying multipacks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭traineeacc

new.start wrote: »

Who are we to say whether you should or shouldn't, there are so many variable impacting your decision, e.g area with large foot fall, margins from wholesale, what other shops or business are located around you in your choosen location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Even Aldi does the old style sweet packs

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

new.start wrote: »

Fresh healthy food would get you a lot wealthier and mature customer base with repeat business. Most people wouldn't mind dropping €5 on a snack and a drink a couple of times a week. You won't get the same return from penny sweets. If you had an existing business I'd say stick a few jars in and see how they sell but starting from nothing and hoping to bust a living out of just a sweet shop I'd say you'll struggle, I've seen a good few of these shops come and go, as another poster said they're a "fad".

Advertisement