Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fingal 10k Route Change

Options
  • 03-06-2013 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Just noticed that the route for this years Fingal 10k as part of the Race Series has changed. I live around the area so I ran the new route today. I have to say I am more than a little disappointed. Basically it takes out out of swords along some nice country roads and the finishes in Swords village. It's a nice weekend run but for me last years route gave spectators an opportunity to offer support and the finish down the Main Street was the highlight. I think this year they will loose out on both.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

is it flatter though? Heard it was fierce hilly last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Degsy123

Ososlo wrote: »
    is it flatter though? Heard it was fierce hilly last year.

yeah definitely flatter, but isn't that part of the challenge :)

Degsy123 wrote: »

i have enough challenges with hilly runs in the other races in the race series in the park:) be nice to have at least one flatter race! Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭plodder

That looks quite a bit flatter all right. In fact, apart from a very small drag up to the finish I can't see any serious hill there at all. Looks like a better route imo. Dublin rd, Watery Lane, Balheary rd will still be good spectating points I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Jaysus I dont know about that........Would be great if it was flatter, last years route was fairly slow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Much better course alright, and definitely flatter.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭FrClintPower

Glad to hear this, my running is currently focused on getting a decent PB in this race and I had been worried about the hill I'd read about from last year, so anything that irons that out is very welcome!

plodder wrote: »
    That looks quite a bit flatter all right. In fact, apart from a very small drag up to the finish I can't see any serious hill there at all. Looks like a better route imo. Dublin rd, Watery Lane, Balheary rd will still be good spectating points I think.

It will be a nice run but I do think the finish down the full length of the Main Street last year was great - atmosphere was fantastic, we may just miss that a little this year, but definitely won't miss the hills. I ran last years route earlier this evening and the hills are definitely steeper than they were a year ago !!. Could it be more of the global warming effect ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

I found that first hill a killer last year. Agree that finish was fab along the main street but will be looking forward to flatter course!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

What is the actual date for this race?

Some sites are saying July 14th & others have July 21st

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

the Dublin Marathon website is definitive

http://dublinmarathon.ie/race_series.php

July 21

If anyone runs this new route as a training run it'd be great if you could post up a garmin profile. Thanks! Hope it's more of a pb course than the 5 mile.

If anyone runs this new route as a training run it'd be great if you could post up a garmin profile. Thanks! Hope it's more of a pb course than the 5 mile.

+1 to this - I might try and do it myself, and I'll stick it up if I do, but if someone else does that's be great.

I ran last years route today just to remind myself of those hills !. I'll try to run the new route during the week and post up the profile. Problem is that miles 3 and 4 are on country roads so can be a little dangerous to run along.

I ran last years route today just to remind myself of those hills !. I'll try to run the new route during the week and post up the profile. Problem is that miles 3 and 4 are on country roads so can be a little dangerous to run along.

excellent thanks! but don't take any chances on those country road miles! Even a verbal run through the route with someone like yourself who's familiar with the roads would be very helpful. Thanks Degsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

You can just create a route on MapMyRun and it will give you the elevation. Probably better than the Garmin GPS anyway, which can give elevations that are a bit all over the place. Here's one I put together for this:

Fingal 10k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Very fast start. Bit of a climb for the last mile and it looks like a net downhill too. Any change would improve on last year's course, which was tough.

You can just create a route on MapMyRun and it will give you the elevation. Probably better than the Garmin GPS anyway, which can give elevations that are a bit all over the place. Here's one I put together for this:

Fingal 10k

Fantastic! Thanks KielyUnusual! That's really helpful. Looks like a decent course alright. Can't wait for this now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I didn't get to do this 10k last year, despite living local to it, so I am looking forward to it in the coming weeks. That said when I saw last year's course I was impressed by the difficulty I could see in certain areas and so it was that challenge that I was looking forward to this year.
    I'll still do the 10k but I am a little disappointed at the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭roro2

I didn't get to do this 10k last year, despite living local to it, so I am looking forward to it in the coming weeks. That said when I saw last year's course I was impressed by the difficulty I could see in certain areas and so it was that challenge that I was looking forward to this year.

Tend to agree with you. I don't really get the "easier is always better" attitude, but each to their own!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

Why don't you do the Frank Duffy 10 miler in Phoenix park, those hills will challenge you and you'll look back at this race with fond memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

roro2 wrote: »
    Tend to agree with you. I don't really get the "easier is always better" attitude, but each to their own!

I think people like having one fast race as part of the race series. The other three in the park have their challenges with the hills at the lower end of the park and that's fine but having a potential PB course as part of the series is refreshing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Big Logger wrote: »
    Why don't you do the Frank Duffy 10 miler in Phoenix park, those hills will challenge you and you'll look back at this race with fond memories.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt :)
    Yes I agree that the Frank Duffy 10 miler and half-marathon are tough challenges and very much worth doing but...

I think people like having one fast race as part of the race series. The other three in the park have their challenges with the hills at the lower end of the park and that's fine but having a potential PB course as part of the series is refreshing.

I'm coming at this from the POV that I live local, love the idea of a race around my local area and really liked the challenge that last year's map presented. I'm not doing the full Dublin Race Series this year so I do see where you're coming from regarding wanting one fast course. I'm still looking forward to it. Also I love the t-shirt:
    1044471_10151777849918185_347063971_n.png

I ran the new route this evening. Very flat course. Very fast first 2 miles then a 3 miles of country roads. Really enjoyable but I do think it will be pretty congested once you turn off the main road at the end of mile 2. The road is no more than 10ft wide at that point for a mile or 2 so it could get interesting. Anyway, attached is the profile from my garmin.

261093.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Pinkletwinkles

Hi guys, would you reccomend the fingal 10km for a novice runner? Have done dublin mini marathon, doing malahide parkruns every Saturday. Little bit worrie about the hills on the route, deadlines tomorrow so would appreciate your thoughts!

Hi guys, would you reccomend the fingal 10km for a novice runner? Have done dublin mini marathon, doing malahide parkruns every Saturday. Little bit worrie about the hills on the route, deadlines tomorrow so would appreciate your thoughts!

I'd say give it a go. I ran the route yesterday and there aren't really any hills - big change from last years course. If you're doing the park runs then it won't be a big leap to make it 10k - and the t-shirt looks cool ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Good news is the long term weather forecast is suggesting almost no wind:

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Swords/long.html

Bad news is the long term weather forecast is suggesting it'll be hot hot hot!

Forget the bad news, that's all good news! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

As regards the heat, should be okay, 10am start and we (hopefully) wont be out there for too long. Looking forward to this one, its the only one of the race series events i havent yet done.

I'll really have to run faster than planned as I just can't handle the heat for very long:P
    Failing to see the good news in your post wrstan:(

• Advertisement

at least we'll have had a good dose of warm weather training.

Advertisement