Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Card through work

Options
  • 03-06-2013 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

All,

Anybody have any experience of getting a green card through employment.

I'm on a L1a and my employer is sponsoring me for a green card process. They have said the process is file I-140 MM and then a I-485.

I haven't been provided with any timeline or expectation of when this process will be complete.

Can anybody provide some personal experience? And how long are you required to remain with the employer once you receive the green card.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

My sister got her green card thru her job. She was told it would take as long as it would take. Which is a polite way of saying that there is no way of knowing really. It may take 6 months, it may take a year, it may take 18 months. There is no hard and fast rule as to how long the process will take.

Once you have the green card, you can do what ever you want...leave your original company, stay with them, go somewhere else...you can do whatever you want really. A green card does not have any of the restrictions or limits on where you go, or who you do or do not work for, that can exist if you are on a year by year work visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

The biggest determinator of the time it will take is what EB (employment based) visa category you will be in (see here for details). There are limits on each category per year, EB3 is backlogged by a number of years but EB1 and EB2 are current. This link gives details of applications they are processing this month by submission date. As you can see if you are EB3 from India you can expect to wait over 10 years for your green card.

• Site Banned Posts: 165 ✭✭narddog

Each visa processing center in the US has a different waiting time for processing. There can be a large difference in processing times from centre to centre. Find out where your visa is being processed and check the USCIS web site for estimated processing times for that centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

Thanks for the info

My understanding is that I am being filed under EB1. Seems to be 6 months each for I-140 MM and then a I-485 - so hopefully this time next year I will be complete.

Advertisement