Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPU Questions

Options
  • 03-06-2013 9:50pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14

Should I get an i5 3570K and overclock it to 4.5GHZ with a decent fan, 500W and a HD 7950 or should I get a haswell once they're out, same decent fan, same 500W and get one of the new nvidia cards with it/get a GTX 660TI?

Why should I or shouldn't I choose an i5 3570K or a haswell ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Haswell is out. You might as well go for a 4670k. It will cost a bit more though.

What's your budget? You should fill out the question form in the sticky to see what you could get.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

BloodBath wrote: »
    Haswell is out. You might as well go for a 4670k. It will cost a bit more though.

What's your budget? You should fill out the question form in the sticky to see what you could get.

It's not particularly relevant unless you're getting a full build, but the 4670k tray was only 206 quid on Mindfactory the other day. The other version was 215. Very good value, relatively speaking, I thought.

@ OP, what BB said, fill in the sticky so that w may best advise you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 CulchieWagon

I'm spending 1400 for the rest of the build and it's all the best that that price can get me, and I'm spending €205.99 ( http://www.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=56296&agid=1617 ) on the i5 3570K.

Will the 4670K be better for gaming and overclocking with this : http://www.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=59387&agid=669 and http://www.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=73764&agid=631 and 480W ?

Now to think of it, either my build idea came from you or a guy called serphapicus or something like that. Last time I updated my build I found a build you or serph made for some fellow for 1100 or so a month ago. My build will have a better graphics card and 29" but the rest is the same as that guys build.

Will the 4670K be much more expensive, better for overclocking and gaming ?
    I plan to play Crysis, BF3 /BF4, DayZ, Arma III and GTA IV once I get it.

I don't know what the sticky is, could you tell me how to use it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

http://www.hardwareversand.de/Socket+1150/78027/Intel+Core+i5-4670K+Box%2C+LGA1150.article

So only slightly more expensive. Early result seem to show that haswell run hotter but it should still be easy to get a 4.5GHZ overclock with a good cooler.

The questions for new builds is actually not stickied so it's no surprise you did not fine it .

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74542374

• Advertisement

Clock for clock, it is a bit fast, though. If both CPUs are at the same speed, the Haswell wins, it's about 10% faster.

The extra heat will probably effect extreme overclockers.
    If your aim is 4.5 GHZ I doubt you will have any problems.

Would that make much of a difference for gaming?

And how much of an increase in temperature does it have ?

• Advertisement

Would that make much of a difference for gaming?

Certainly. Some games are CPU limited, and having a faster CPU definitely helps out. In SC2, for example, it can be the difference between 25 FPS MINIMUM and 40 FPS MINIMUM.

Plus, it helps greatly with the longevity of the chip. A 3570k at 4.5ghz will not hinder you in most games for a loooong time (that is, the graphics card will be limiting you before the CPU).

Plus, it helps a lot with video encoding and other work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

The i5-3570k, evo 212 and asrock z77 pro 3 is coming in around 290 euro at the minute on amazon.co.uk seems very good?

If I overclock the 3570ak to 4.5GHZ could that change the 25-->40 aswell?

Yes. You should fill out the questions to see what you could get.

If I overclock the 3570ak to 4.5GHZ could that change the 25-->40 aswell?

What?

The rest of my build is already the best money can buy at my budget, I just needed advice on the CPU.

Ill just go for the i5 3570K and overclock it to 4.5GHZ and it should be more or less as good as the 4670K, right ?

The rest of my build is already the best money can buy at my budget, I just needed advice on the CPU.

Ill just go for the i5 3570K and overclock it to 4.5GHZ and it should be more or less as good as the 4670K, right ?

Not really. The 4670k will be ~10% faster if you overclock it to 4.5ghz, and it's near enough in price to justify it, IMO.

Having said that, the mobos are more expensive? But OFC, the new motherboards will be upgradeable in the future, whereas the board for Ivy-Bridge is a dead end now. I dunno., I'd go for the 4670k if the extra few quid isn't a huge deal to you.

*If I overclock the 3570K to 4.5GHZ could that change the 25FPS--->40FPS aswell?

I have a lot of typos on this iPad with the auto correct :p

How do you know? You said 1400 for the specs you listed which was a 3570k and a 7950.

I can guarantee you I could put a better machine together for €1400 but I'd have to know exactly what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭sulc84

Why you need to overclock quad core cpu ? For some 3D animation software ?

• Advertisement

Have any consumer run, not intel run tests shown it is 10%~ faster or is that based of what intel says ?

Have any consumer run, not intel run tests shown it is 10%~ faster or is that based of what intel says ?

It's based of review sites etc. Not from Intel.

Good god, you're making this harder than it needs to be.

I plan to play a lot of Arma (which is very CPU intensive) so I'd like as much CPU power as possible, sulc

And I'm an audio and visual file so I'm substituting a bit of cash towards the GPU and CPU and giving it towards getting better sound and screen quality.

Anyway, the i5 3570K and Hd 7950 are still pretty big beasts in terms of playing Arma III and II, Bf4 and Bf3 and Crysis right?

Hmmm. You don't seem to understand a lot of what I'm saying. Look. Both of the chips are fantastic when overclocked. Go for the 4670k if the overall price is only a bit more.

The FPS numbers I quoted were examples. And they were in reference to minimum frames.

Long story short, get the 4670k if money allows. If not, no biggie. The 4670k is not a waste vs the 3570k though. Do you have a thread for your build? Start one if you haven't and we can advise you appropriately there.

Anyway, the i5 3570K and Hd 7950 are still pretty big beasts in terms of playing Arma III and II, Bf4 and Bf3 and Crysis right?

This is true but a system like that will cost no where near €1400
    If that is your budget you can aim higher.

Yes it is, if you really want help though list what part's you chose and/or fill out the questions.

What harm is it getting some recommendations that may be better than what you have already?

BloodBath wrote: »
    Yes it is, if you really want help though list what part's you chose and/or fill out the questions.

What harm is it getting some recommendations that may be better than what you have already?

This.

You should post all the pertinent questions in one place so we may address them more efficiently.

Alright I'll put up another forum asking for help with a €1400 build later and ill just get the i5 3570K and overclock it

• Advertisement

Why not get the 4670k when you're budget is €1400....

The boards are better, the chip is better.

Advertisement