Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Its too hot/its not hot enough

• 03-06-2013 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Summer is here and while its clearly good news for most of us its not always plain sailing, I just went out to put the mower away and realised it was as warm outside as in. So that'll be an uncomfortable night then....:( Say what you like about cold nights - its a lot easier to stay warm then it is to cool off while trying to get 7 hours when humidly warm.

summer heat 203 votes

hot hot hot!
    0% 0 votes
    Winter rules
    66% 135 votes
    Just let me sleep, please!
    33% 68 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

ahhhhhhhh always complaining about the weather.
    Buy a fan or something, I dunno.

I think if people in Ireland were banned from complaining or talking about the weather they'd implode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

The nice weather is brilliant during the day, brings everyones moods up instantly, but my god it is terrible at night if its anyways warm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Close all the windows and leave the fridge door open.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

sigh

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭SmilingLurker

Some do like it hot.

No complaints here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I wonder do they complain as much about the heat and cold in countries with seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

I slept in a tent last night and it was like a sauna! Took out my mirror this morning and it actually fogged up. Dont know how I got any sleep!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

half in and half out of the blanket usually works on the roasting warm nights imho, i aint complaining though, this sunny warm summery stay out all day weather we have had, and hopefully will keep up having for as long as possable! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

humbert wrote: »
    I wonder do they complain as much about the heat and cold in countries with seasons.
    Yes, they do. Spaniards are notorious for it and justifiably so.

Czechs aren't so bad, though, from what I remember.

EDIT: Btw, was walking home from work at half ten in the south of Spain and it was 28.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Its just right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Can you set the oven to cold?

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

No complaints from me. We've had way too long a winter - about 4 years??
    Windows open and the dog in just to make sure no-one tries to take advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Ah that's grand weather out there. Fine bit of sunshine that we hardly ever get combined with that heat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

Hot?
    Its 11deg now in dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

pabloh999 wrote: »
    Hot?
    Its 11deg now in dublin.

It's not paticularly mild,bit humid maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Too hot? You wouldn't stand outside where I am for long with no clothes on for long I can tell you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Too hot? You wouldn't stand outside where I am for long with no clothes on for long I can tell you.

I'm standing out naked on my balcony right now having a smoke! :D

hope the neighbours down underneath don't come out for a smoke and look up, the last crowd moved out a few days later after they thought it was an eclipse they were eyeballing! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Lived in Arizona for 2 years, listened constantly how they would love to have weather like we have here. The term "perfect" was used many a time by the locals when i described our weather. Granted there is only 2 seasons there, Summer and cool Summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I prefer winter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Detest heat. This weather is driving me mental / demented / bonkers / loo-la / crazy / bananas. I absolutely hate it. Can't stand it. I want rain and wind and would even take snow instead of this heat. I can't breathe.

Although I would agree that sunny weather as such can lift one's spirits and bring about a good mood, I'd prefer being in a bad mood to not being able to breathe right.

It'd nearly drive me to drink and one is supposed to enjoy drinking in this weather. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Bleedin ten degrees out you whingers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

We humans are programmed to adjust and adapt to all weathers and with recent late springs and autumns becoming early inductions to winter , I for one welcome our long overdue summer .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Was out for a run there half an hour ago and the sweat was rolling off me within 5 minutes, no need for a jacket anymore methinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I prefer winter
    Me too. I think I have the opposite of seasonal affective disorder.

Living near a coastal town or city for the sea breeze during hot spells is obviously better than living inland but that goes without saying .

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

It's not even hot, just pleasantly mild. Fans are quite cheap too you know.

Stand outside in Dubai or some other Arabian gulf country for 10 minutes in July and tell me Ireland was hot. It's bleedin 45 - 50° C there! This is nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Hot ?
    Were you born on the Sun ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Its too hot. Bloody sun, **** off.

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    It's not even hot, just pleasantly mild.
    Stand outside in Dubai or some other Arabian gulf country for 10 minutes in July and tell me Ireland was hot. It's bleedin 45 - 50° C there! This is nothing.
    Indeed ...

We once experienced a freak heat storm in the Canary Islands which blew in from north Africa and it was so hot and humid , we were sucking in nothing but hot air and it made me realise the difference between Hot in Africa/Arabia and northern Europe .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

cloud493 wrote: »
    Its too hot. Bloody sun, **** off.

Bring back the ice please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Too warm- cant sleep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

dfx- wrote: »
    Bring back the ice please

Ok, but you asked for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I thought it was grand but now I can't sleep, must be the heat :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Is this a pisstake? Too hot? Today? In Ireland?

Are ye Eskimos?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    It's not even hot, just pleasantly mild. Fans are quite cheap too you know.

But if you fall asleep in a room with a fan on you'll die. So they say in Korea anyway.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_death

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

But if you fall asleep in a room with a fan on you'll die. So they say in Korea anyway.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_death

I should be dead!

Typical Irish whinging, 4 degrees above or below 10 and most are moaning.

All relative I suppose, presently in mid 20's at night, high 30's days and very humid.
    Local folks here would be be suffering from hypothermia in the hot weather all are moaning about up there.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I'm still waiting for the t-shirt weather to start, high teens/low twenties is all we have here at the moment :( OK for a BBQ but you wouldn't stand out in a t-shirt just yet. The summers here once they start are nice, 28-32 is a nice temperature, just warm enough.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The wind has finally pissed off and it's over twenty but still a long way off hot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Are you kidding me? Coldest X amount of months on record and we get a few days on high teen degrees and people are moaning. Get some sunscreen, wear a t-shirt, leave a window open if you're at home and enjoy! It is glorious and I am not going to complain for one minute!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

It was hot alright yesterday.Went for a drive yesterday and there was fanny everywhere wearin' next to nothing.Stick the winter up your hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

It sort of weird not having my hoody on...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I wonder if people in other countries go on about the weather as much as we do? There is flooding in central Europe, we should be grateful that we get very few extreme weather conditions...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Seriously? Too hot to sleep? It was 6 degrees when I was coming home from work at 3am this morning! Too hot! What is wrong with people!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I think it's fine at the moment, though I really wouldn't want it to get any warmer, thank you very much.

One of the reasons I came to Ireland was the weather, after all. Winters not too cold, summers not too hot, I quite like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

People feel comfortable at different temperatures. What's the big deal? It's actually just ridiculous to tell people they're wrong for not feeling comfortable at a certain temp. People talking about how they're perfectly happy sleeping at 40º in Timbuktu or wherever (or at -30º in Vladivostok if the thread happens to be about the cold) really just come across as if they're posturing in a meaningless "do you even lift" sort of way.

I work with a lot of people of different nationalities and I find they moan about the weather as much if not more than we do. Apparently our cold is colder than their frozen snowy winters, our rare hot days are more uncomfortable than their stifling summers.

Personally I hate even our mild summer temps. It aggravates my health and I'm much happier in frosty weather. I hear enough moaning about the cooler temps year round so I don't feel one bit guilty for saying it's too hot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

People feel comfortable at different temperatures. What's the big deal? It's actually just ridiculous to tell people they're wrong for not feeling comfortable at a certain temp. People talking about how they're perfectly happy sleeping at 40º in Timbuktu or wherever (or at -30º in Vladivostok if the thread happens to be about the cold) really just come across as if they're posturing in a meaningless "do you even lift" sort of way.

I work with a lot of people of different nationalities and I find they moan about the weather as much if not more than we do. Apparently our cold is colder than their frozen snowy winters, our rare hot days are more uncomfortable than their stifling summers.

Personally I hate even our mild summer temps. It aggravates my health and I'm much happier in frosty weather. I hear enough moaning about the cooler temps year round so I don't feel one bit guilty for saying it's too hot.
    Well, the people here moaning were, for the most part, born here and given the amazingly small seasonal variation you'd think they'd have gotten used to it. Frankly a lot of Irish people are just the same when talking about food that's ever so slightly different from what they're used to at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Well, the people here moaning were, for the most part, born here and given the amazingly small seasonal variation you'd think they'd have gotten used to it. Frankly a lot of Irish people are just the same when talking about food that's ever so slightly different from what they're used to at home.

Not sure what your point is - Irish people moan more? Irish people are inflexible and set in their ways. Another excuse for Irish bashing?

I must ask my international colleagues what's wrong with them - I mean, you think they'd have gotten used to our temperature extremes which are well within the normal range for their native countries. How dare they feel uncomfortable in our temperature range!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

People from the continent complain because of the changeable nature of our weather. In the summer in their countries there is some consistency and they can get acclimatized to the new climate but here it's one day on one day off. In winter they have a kind of dry cold, it's also consistent and not the sort of wet and windy cold we have here where you wonder what you should wear, heavy coat or mac, hat and gloves or none at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I've just come back from 2 weeks of proper hot weather to what passes for summer in London. Pah!

old hippy wrote: »
    I've just come back from 2 weeks of proper hot weather to what passes for summer in London. Pah!
    It can get quite hot and humid in London without any summer breeze .

• Advertisement
Advertisement