Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog burnt after dog grooming- advice please!

• 03-06-2013 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

have a lovely golden retriever- 3 yrs old, brought him on Sat for a dog groom, he was washed with shampoo, conditioner and then blast dried with a powerful hairdryer, my hubbie and I stayed with him as he was what we thought nervous and straining on the collar during the drying. this is new to us as we always groomed him ourselves and dried him with a hairdyer which he loved. we thought he was jumpy due to the loud noise of the massive dryer. Any way the lady was lovely but really did need my hubbies help which surprised me to be honest. anyhow my dog was flying it yesterday, but lastnight and today has been licking 2 parts on his body- I examined the fur and it looks like these 2 patches are raw and weepy- also a place up at his neck has an open scratched-look , also weepy with dampish blood under the fur
    he has not been out of our sight and these are isolated patches so I doubt it is an allergic reaction to the shampoo...unless it is shampoo that was not washed out properly?? Or is it probably the heat from the blast dryer?
    I am bringing him to the vet in the morning- he is so agitated right now- I have put cold water on it- not helping- any advice please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Sounds like hot spots, wet eczema. Doesn't sound like a burn.

Just wash them with some salty water and try dry them and maybe put some sudocrem on them. Might help a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

With those highly concentrated shampoos they have to be rinsed out completely otherwise there is a chance of getting hotspots. A groomer would know this.

Are they hotspots? What size are they?

Not sure if the dryer caused it. I have a fairly powerful hand dryer and I reckon the dog would have to be very close to be burnt.

Hopefully your vet will shed some light tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭For Paws

May be a reaction to the shampoo / detergent used (but unlikely since these are formulated for use on dogs).

Extremely unlikely to have been caused by the dryer which groomers employ. These dryers generate far less heat than domestic hair dryers (which your dog happily tolerates). They work by greater air movement and thus create more noise than any domestic hair dryer designed to be held close to your ear.

Best plan is to go ahead with your planned visit to your vet.

Take some photos of the areas affected. Hope your dog is better soon !

Have you changed his food or anything lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭lennyloulou

thank you for your advice, my hubbie says he thinks that maybe not all the shampoo was rinsed out- the poor dog, it does look like hot spots-I just googled them- never before has he had this. he also loves the hairdryer normally. I am taking him first thing in the morning, thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

andreac wrote: »
    Just wash them with some salty water and try dry them and maybe put some sudocrem on them. Might help a bit.

andreac can you explain a bit more why using salty water might help this. To me using a solution with a drying affect would be worse imho.

we washed the areas gently with lukewarm water- he has eased a bit. no way would I use salt water- the skin is pink/raw looking- thanks anyway

Well just to clean the wound first. I doubt the op has hibi scrub as that's what's usually used on them along with fuciderm cream.

Well just to clean the wound first. I doubt the op has hibi scrub as that's what's usually used on them along with fuciderm cream.

But IF it is a burn (we don't know) this won't help. The opposite in fact.The only reason you should use a saline based solution is for it's antibacterial properties, nothing more.The same with Hibiscrub. Using salt solution on a burn is probably one of the worst to use.

The OP has stated they are seeking veterinary advice, so unless we have clarity on what exactly these "red areas" are, please refrain from offering medical advice until then.

They asked for advice??

It doesn't sound like a burn. It sounds like hot spots. If we can't give advice then you may as well close the thread....

• Advertisement

They asked for advice??

It doesn't sound like a burn. It sounds like hot spots.

I completely agree with you, but the OP needs to determine WHAT these areas are before we can give advice. They may or may not be a burn and they may or may not be a "hot spot". As the title of thread is "dog burnt after grooming" we can't go assuming anything else until it's been diagnosed,even though you have the best of intentions. ;)

OP when you have a definitive diagnosis from a qualifed vet, please do come back and let us know.We can't give you advice on speculation from yourself. Thanks a million.

thanks for all your contributions and advice tonight folks... I will update you tomorrow.

To clarify, any "red areas" on an animal revealed by grooming could be anything. It could be a fungal infection (eg. ringworm), eczema, a low level dermatitis,burn, hot spot, allergy....the list is endless.

Raising or lowering the pH of the skin by using solutions mentioned above isn't advisable until you know what you are dealing with. Professional advice is always best.

Please do come back and let us know what your vet has said. Do not apply any treatment until then.

Hi just a quick update.
    Firstly I was up 3 times applying cold compress/a cold bag of peas ( now binned) to hot spot /affected area. The relief on the poor dog was indescribable. it def helped a little at 3am, 5am , 6am
    We went to vet this morning- he told us that it is a hot spot area and that he has seen a huge increase in these cases in recent weeks. He said without a doubt he would have at least 2 more dogs in with the same problem before the day is out. He said it could be many causes- a possible flea bite from another dog ( our dog was at a show on Sun ), doubts it was the blast dryer at the groomers, it might be the shampoo, he said it could be anything but the main thing to remember was that Golden Retrievers and dos with similar long coats are prone to this in hot weather- esp around mouth/jaw where it is moist/drooling. He said we were to get liquid tick/flea drops at the start of each summer and start him on them the min the weather gets warm.
    He is shaving the infected area, applying some steroid cream, putting him on antibiotics. he is mildly sedating him before shaving as our dog could be startled even more. Approx cost 110e. We are to pick him up at 2pm.We do not have him insured. As he is so important to us, we are thrilled he will be Ok and are delighted with this price.
    Thanks to folks for all your help.

Advertisement