Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD LAW ELECTIVES

Options
  • 03-06-2013 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

If studying for a bachelor of law (BCL) in UCD is there any major advantage to choosing all electives in law ? (every year you have the choice of picking 2 electives 10 credits)
    Other than personal knowledge would any benefits include not having to sit certain FE1 exams (solicitors) or barrister exams in the Kings Inn?

Or perhaps if by going on an Erasmus would this help in any way ?

Additionally by doing a 'law with' degree could one choose electives in their minor subject e.g. history and then get a bachelor in this too ? Or is that not possible even though one would have acquired the same amount of credits in the subject as an arts student ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

In terms of career, no, there is no major advantage as regards choosing law electives beyond the fact that it will enlarge your understanding of your course material.

UCD Law used to heavily "encourage" students to take law modules. That practice has now ended and students are free to choose whatever they like; i've never heard of an employer who was very bothered by this. Most employers are not even seriously concerned if your fundamental degree is even law in the first place. Your professional qualification and experience is of far greater interest.

Your elective choices *may* be of interest if you are considering pursuing a graduate program.

As far as I am aware it isn't possible to earn two degrees by tactically choosing electives correspondent with your "Law with" subject, but you should probably confirm that with UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

I am in between 2 minds between law with economics and law with business:/

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cliffhangger

yournerd wrote: »
    I am in between 2 minds between law with economics and law with business:/

bit off OP question..

But if your looking as to which has the best career prospects I've heard law with economics is about the best choice there is. If you can get the high points go for it. UCD as far as I know is the only Uni in Ireland offering this degree and I've heard its the best degree in Ireland bar medicine..
    Its meant to be a difficult course.
    Also the law with in UCD tend to have few students admitted (circa 10) so your degree might stand out more unlike BNL/ BBL with larger class size 120+.

Business and law (BBL) in UCD does not give you the same BCL law degree as law with econ so you should consider this if your thinking about sitting solicitor / barrister exams after college. BBL you to 1/2 business 1/2 law but not as much law as BCL students and not as much business as commerce students. So degree wise the former seems the best unless your unsure whether you actually want to do law.

Law with business is offered in Trinity and I think it gives you a BCL (bachelor in civil law) rather than BBL in UCD. So you should research that course too. IMO law with econ UCD would still be the superior degree.

Also UCD is arguably the best law school in Ireland with the new law school being built for 2013.

This is a lot of opinions etc so make up your own mind, and the above depends on why you are undecided between the two?
    best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

bit off OP question..

But if your looking as to which has the best career prospects I've heard law with economics is about the best choice there is. If you can get the high points go for it. UCD as far as I know is the only Uni in Ireland offering this degree and I've heard its the best degree in Ireland bar medicine..
    Its meant to be a difficult course.
    Also the law with in UCD tend to have few students admitted (circa 10) so your degree might stand out more unlike BNL/ BBL with larger class size 120+.

Business and law (BBL) in UCD does not give you the same BCL law degree as law with econ so you should consider this if your thinking about sitting solicitor / barrister exams after college. BBL you to 1/2 business 1/2 law but not as much law as BCL students and not as much business as commerce students. So degree wise the former seems the best unless your unsure whether you actually want to do law.

Law with business is offered in Trinity and I think it gives you a BCL (bachelor in civil law) rather than BBL in UCD. So you should research that course too. IMO law with econ UCD would still be the superior degree.

Also UCD is arguably the best law school in Ireland with the new law school being built for 2013.

This is a lot of opinions etc so make up your own mind, and the above depends on why you are undecided between the two?
    best of luck.

Since it's the first year of the law mixture subjects I'm not sure which to pick as there's social and I just love Law but would like a second advantage. Trinity is first on my CAO atm..

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Stasya_x

I took two law modules as my electives in first year. My advice would probably be not to bother taking them. I enjoyed them and had an interest in the subject but the extra work load was just not worth it at all. You have a boat load of extra reading to do for them, we're talking 132 page case files.

Stick with something nice like 'Men & Womens Health' or, if you don't mind writing essays 'Millenium Development Goals' is 3 essays to complete the course and pretty much everyone comes out of it with an A or a B unless you do something terribly wrong (Y)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Children's Literature was another great one when I was going through !

There's a lot to be said for Horizons, but given how little attention employers pay to non-relevant module choices, it does tend to reward those who take the path of least resistance. Not sure how they could iron that out.

Advertisement