Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tomorrow English!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 jpr57852

I got 56% in the mock English exam. I'd be happy with a C in the real one...

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭OisinLAD

I was hoping for a B in the Mock and got a D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Mary A

I got 100% in my English mocks (I) :'D

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Cr4pSnip3r

Mary A wrote: »
    I got 100% in my English mocks (I) :'D

Jump in a hole and die >:I :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

I got 72% on my English mocks ;).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Mary A

Cr4pSnip3r wrote: »
    Jump in a hole and die >:I :P

ok I wil:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

I got 67% in mocks :( But it was marked incorrectly!!!! ;) I finally have my poetry sorted out
    "The Early Purges"- Heaney
    "Dulce Est Decorum Est- Robert Owen
    "Digging"- Heaney
    "He Wishes For The Cloths of Heaven"- W.B Yeats
    "Good Dog Nigel"- John Lennon
    "Daffodils"-William Wordsworth

I'm hoping I get to answer on "Digging" *fingers crossed"

Jijsaw wrote: »
    I got 67% in mocks :( But it was marked incorrectly!!!! ;) I finally have my poetry sorted out
    "Digging"- Heaney

My mock paper was marked TOO HARD ;). You don't need to know all of them poems ... you only need one which deals with Death/War and one which deals with Family/Childhood ;).

My mock paper was marked TOO HARD ;). You don't need to know all of them poems ... you only need one which deals with Death/War and one which deals with Family/Childhood ;).

BUT WHAT IF LOVE COMES UP OR THE FLOW OF RHYTHM IN POETRY????? :eek: These are the questions that keep me up at night!

BUT WHAT IF LOVE COMES UP OR THE FLOW OF RHYTHM IN POETRY????? :eek: These are the questions that keep me up at night!

Then you do the other question.

• Advertisement

A poem that has family has love too. Familes love each other .. so yea. Flow of rhythem? I don't think that has ever came up, you always have an option anyway. :)

A poem that has family has love too. Familes love each other .. so yea. Flow of rhythem? I don't think that has ever came up, you always have an option anyway. :)

Wouldn't it be great if the flow of rhythm came up tomorrow. Bow down to me plebeians I have predicted the future!!! :cool: :pac:

Wouldn't it be great if the flow of rhythm came up tomorrow. Bow down to me plebeians I have predicted the future!!! :cool: :pac:
    I'm prepared anyway XD. Dulce et decorum est has alot of onomatopoeia words .. so yea :p. If it does come up tomorrow, PLEASE PREDICT THE REST OF THE EXAMS :D.

I'm prepared anyway XD. Dulce et decorum est has alot of onomatopoeia words .. so yea :p. If it does come up tomorrow, PLEASE PREDICT THE REST OF THE EXAMS :D.

Dulce et decorum est = Best poem ever written for JC exams. I've flicked through the exam papers and haven't found a year where it doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

Cr4pSnip3r wrote: »
    Dulce et decorum est = Best poem ever written for JC exams. I've flicked through the exam papers and haven't found a year where it doesn't work.

Good 'ol Dulce et Decorum Est, Owen you genius!

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

That's an alright question imo, talk about alliteration, assonance and sibilance in their own paragraphs and refer to the poem, make sure you say how it made you feel. Examiners love personal response!

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

"Digging"- Heaney

Is it not Wilfred Owen?

sotisme wrote: »
    Is it not Wilfred Owen?

It is surely, I was thinking of history ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭LawdyLad

My teacher has given me 8 poems to study. I'm know about 4/5 that fit almost every single question. They ones I have studied are as follows:

Dulce et decorum est - Wilfred Owen - Poem about war/ sad topic / good imagery
    Mid Term Break - Seamus Heaney - Poem about death / sad topic / important issue / relevant to people my age / made me think
    Digging - Seamus Heaney - Poem about choices / important issue / relevant to people my age / uses language to create sound / made me think
    Back in the Playground Blues - Adrian Mitchell - Poem about childhood / important issue / bullying / school
    Daffodils - William Wordsworth - Poem about nature / beauty / place / ability to cheer us up

As you can see, I am covered for almost anything that can possibly come up. Is it rare that they ask on a certain theme?

• Advertisement

LawdyLad wrote: »
    My teacher has given me 8 poems to study. I'm know about 4/5 that fit almost every single question. They ones I have studied are as follows:

Dulce et decorum est - Wilfred Owen - Poem about war/ sad topic / good imagery
    Mid Term Break - Seamus Heaney - Poem about death / sad topic / important issue / relevant to people my age / made me think
    Digging - Seamus Heaney - Poem about choices / important issue / relevant to people my age / uses language to create sound / made me think
    Back in the Playground Blues - Adrian Mitchell - Poem about childhood / important issue / bullying / school
    Daffodils - William Wordsworth - Poem about nature / beauty / place / ability to cheer us up

As you can see, I am covered for almost anything that can possibly come up. Is it rare that they ask on a certain theme?
    They will never ask for one theme without choice. Mid-Term Break and Dulce will cover you for the exam, if you know how to write answers and the ins and outs of the poem. I only know them two in great detail, and I'm sure i'll be fine. I have BlackBerry Picking in my pocket just in case a poet question comes up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭LawdyLad

Yeah I have very good sample answers on theme and techniques for each of the poems mentioned above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Pwee2029

They will never ask for one theme without choice. Mid-Term Break and Dulce will cover you for the exam, if you know how to write answers and the ins and outs of the poem. I only know them two in great detail, and I'm sure i'll be fine. I have BlackBerry Picking in my pocket just in case a poet question comes up :)

at first i thought you meant having blackberry picking notes in your pocket in literal terms :eek:

Pwee2029 wrote: »
    at first i thought you meant having blackberry picking notes in your pocket in literal terms :eek:
    Good idea! ;)

Thank God I wasn't the only person who thought that for a second...you have blackberries in your pocket....wait...wha???

Good idea! ;)

i hope you wont be able to sit your english exam then :P

i hope you wont be able to sit your english exam then :P
    So nice of you! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tvtvgogo

what poem would be better to learn in detail when you are old by w.b yeats or follower by seamus heaney ?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭examstress

Ahh so behind on my study peeps !!

• Advertisement

im done studying for the day:p on my break now and will be sleeping early tonight :D

Advertisement